Amr Wooing Workers

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
After screwing you to death, now they want to be your friend.

AMR wooing workers
Warmer relations can breed profit, American vice president says

An effort at American Airlines Inc. to treat employees better will give the Fort Worth-based carrier an edge over its competitors.

At least that's the hope of Mark Burdette, American's new vice president for employee relations. Last week, he replaced Jeff Brundage, now senior vice president of human resources.

The idea of warmer labor relations as a competitive tool is more than just the management slogan of the month, American officials say.

Because American already went through a painful restructuring last year, the airline thinks it has an advantage over rivals including US Airways Corp., Delta Air Lines Inc. and United Airlines Inc.

American has the lowest costs of the top six network carriers, and it can smooth long-contentious relations with its people, Mr. Burdette said.

"These kinds of processes start like a little snowball rolling down a hill," said Mr. Burdette, who previously served as a liaison to the pilots' union under Mr. Brundage.

American hired labor consultant Overland Resource Group Inc. last summer to act as a marriage counselor.

American's approach is to build joint committees between managers and labor leaders at the top of the airline and then similar groups at middle levels and even on shop floors and at airports.

The committees steer the airline's decisions and help explain the carrier's financial performance and its decisions to American's 80,000 employees.

Evidence that the Overland work is paying dividends came in the second-quarter earnings report for American parent AMR Corp.

Collaborative work with employees through the initiative produced more than 70 concepts that will save a combined $75 million, chief executive Gerard Arpey said.

The Transport Workers Union supports the Overland effort, even though "it hasn't sunk down yet to the local levels, so they haven't seen it yet," said Jim Little, international representative for the TWU Air Transport Division.

Mr. Little said Mr. Burdette was a good choice to lead labor relations at the airline.

Backers of the project admit that it hasn't moved as quickly as some had hoped, but joint committees being set up at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport will soon spread to other American hub locations.

A joint committee of managers at the airline's Kansas City maintenance base will decide what kind of work to bid on to help keep jobs there, Mr. Burdette said.

"It develops very fluidly at each place we do it," he said. "It is such an adaptable process, and that's why we're seeing so much variation as to how people want to make it work."

American's brush with financial insolvency last April gave it a window to try something new with its labor relations.

All of its labor groups are under contracts that won't be changeable until late 2008, though negotiations on those deals will begin in mid-2006.

Some contract issues remain that could cause friction. The airline needs to negotiate new language with its pilots to allow for long-haul flying to places such as China, which the airline hopes to get permission to serve next year.

But relations between American and the Allied Pilots Association are as good as they've been in recent memory, Mr. Burdette said.

Ralph Hunter, the new APA president, couldn't be reached for comment. He has commended the Overland effort as the pilots union's only rational choice as the industry goes through troubled times.

The pilots' union praised Mr. Burdette's promotion in a message to employees Friday.

Name: Tin Bender
Email:
Employer: NWA
Station:
Date: Wednesday July 21, 2004
Time: 08:51:03 AM

Comments
How can Delle and especially McCormick be NWA employees? Neither one was ever hired by NWA in our Mechanic, Cleaner or Custodian ranks! What kind of scam do these two thieves have going on here? Delle a Company "Consultant" and McCormick, our "Administrative Secretary" is a "NWA Executive?" What kind of Bull #### is this AMFA? This can't be legal!

I can't say as to whether its legal or not! What I do known is that we can't find any other bargaining unit that has a non-member (Kevin McCormick) or an officer not previously employed by NWA (O.V. Delle-Femine) on the employee list. This is a scam unique to AMFA!

AA wants to improve employee morale, but NOT by restoring any or all of the concessions. They want to pull off a coup of employee relations by talking crap and "feeling" our pain. They are taking these steps because more cost cutting is on the way at the end of the summer season.

"shared sacrifice"...."pull together win together"...."continous improvement" ^_^ empty meaningless SLOGANS, just like the twu! hey ARPEY and LITTLE heres a slogan...........SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Decision 2004 said:
After screwing you to death, now they want to be your friend.
.............While Delle remains the union man's enemy!!!!!

Come on Dave, your just mad that AA's "plan" is working and Delle's, well Delle's "plan" has fallen short and IS NOT working!!!!! Boo hoo!!!

The proof just keeps getting better everyday for you amfa boys!!!!!

Of course AA's plan is working. They took it all from us with the TWU's blessing!
And there is more pain and suffering on the way! You are dillusional if you think we are gonna get back anything after AA got a taste of how they want it to be!

And what keeps getting better for us TWU boys, TWuer?
The more cuts and grounding of aircraft? The pension after UAL succeeds in eliminating theirs?

Tell me, TWUer, what is gonna get better for us?

Heck, it's July 26, and still no word from Little on addressing AA's absence on "shared sacrifice!"

Name: In the Beginning
Email:
Employer:
Station:
Date: Tuesday July 20, 2004
Time: 04:44:31 PM

Comments
I remembered when we said, "You just wait, when everybody realized what AMFA did to them at NWA, AMFA will blame the members for the mess." We'll it started last night. My AMFA rep. admitted that it's the Farm Out language that's killing us. But then he had the audacity to say, "Over on C-side, we warned everyone to read the contract." Then I reminded him that it was Delle and AMFA and even him who had told me repeatedly that, "The IAM didn't have ANY farm out language, we do now and it's a good thing." I can remember arguing with morons like this guy about Article 2 in the IAM contract which guaranteed that all the work was our and trying to explain that nobody was ever laid off at NWA while work was farmed out when we were IAM. I must of went over that for the last three years, with AMFA fools from UAL and AA as well. I even remember at the AA AMFA rally, Delle was asked about it and he even said on tape, may I remind you, that "The IAM didn't have any Farm Out language, but now NWA members do with their AMFA contract and we have a Farm Out Cap." LOL! A Farm Out Cap? 100% Farm Out, with a monetary penalty going to AMFA National if it is above 38%!! How do you explain the fact that their are 5,700 lost jobs at NWA? How is the Cap helping? 5,700 lost jobs and NWA still isn't above the cap!!! AMFA's phase II, blame the members. I remember AMFA's motto, "Accountability", so Delle, who gets the blame? You for lying or your minions who negotiated these Industry leading job give-a-ways?

WELL WAHOOOOO, lets just work for third party wages and benefits and keep every useless twu slug on the property employed. you TWU idiots dont care how far we slide just as long as we keep everyone paying dues. ive personally wittnessed several hard working mechanics turn into "SLUGS" over the past couple of years because they are tired of giving to save a "SLUG'S" job. yea dave said it , WERE DOOMED!

J T Jurk no one flew airplanes into buildings in NY and Washington D.C. eather while the IAM was the mechanics reps at northwest. Do you think that might have had something to do with northwest being able to lay off all those people against the contract. Where would northwest mechanics be now had it not been for the terrorist attacks. <_<

James T. Kirk said:
Name: In the Beginning
Email:
Employer:
Station:
Date: Tuesday July 20, 2004
Time: 04:44:31 PM

Comments
I remembered when we said, "You just wait, when everybody realized what AMFA did to them at NWA, AMFA will blame the members for the mess." We'll it started last night. My AMFA rep. admitted that it's the Farm Out language that's killing us. But then he had the audacity to say, "Over on C-side, we warned everyone to read the contract." Then I reminded him that it was Delle and AMFA and even him who had told me repeatedly that, "The IAM didn't have ANY farm out language, we do now and it's a good thing." I can remember arguing with morons like this guy about Article 2 in the IAM contract which guaranteed that all the work was our and trying to explain that nobody was ever laid off at NWA while work was farmed out when we were IAM. I must of went over that for the last three years, with AMFA fools from UAL and AA as well. I even remember at the AA AMFA rally, Delle was asked about it and he even said on tape, may I remind you, that "The IAM didn't have any Farm Out language, but now NWA members do with their AMFA contract and we have a Farm Out Cap." LOL! A Farm Out Cap? 100% Farm Out, with a monetary penalty going to AMFA National if it is above 38%!! How do you explain the fact that their are 5,700 lost jobs at NWA? How is the Cap helping? 5,700 lost jobs and NWA still isn't above the cap!!! AMFA's phase II, blame the members. I remember AMFA's motto, "Accountability", so Delle, who gets the blame? You for lying or your minions who negotiated these Industry leading job give-a-ways?
Hey Captain,

Why don't you have Scotty beam you over to the 'nuts page and stay there. Nobby needs guys like you who believe the industrial unions are not dead and dying in the airline industry. Your copy and paste of constant and blatant lies are not winning you any respect here. Ask the 'nuts boys next time your over there how the iam card drive is coming, we haven't heard any updates since the iam whent over the 500 card milestone sometime last year. :rolleyes:

How is that twu card drive coming? Has one started anywhere yet?

Just wondering........

Punks, Drunks, Cowards, Functional Illiterates, and Felons. The twu's finest.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Mark Inman said:
J T Jurk no one flew airplanes into buildings in NY and Washington D.C. eather while the IAM was the mechanics reps at northwest. Do you think that might have had something to do with northwest being able to lay off all those people against the contract. Where would northwest mechanics be now had it not been for the terrorist attacks. <_<
If, if if!!!!! You guys want to use 9/11 as an "excuse"when it benefits you. Had 9/11 not happened I know that the TWU would have the industry leading contract!!! Lousy union management and sorry contract language can do a lot of damage even without terrorists! Amfa represented carriers are in a heap of trouble. HMMMMMM?? Appears to be a pattern!

hey,hey O SCABmaster; Mr Kirk hit a "touchy" spot with your amfa(PUKE) groupies
HUMMMM article 2 (F) i think would be just a "little" touchy.
i believe one of the other TWU guys HSS namely has also talked about the LACK
bargaining POWER/KNOW HOW !!!!! that is far worse than the STUPID thing they did the first time around. remember they FORGOT to put in the "check off " language :blink:
well Mr.Kirk i think you are in for it now. i mean booby O is gonna BLUE you & the SCABmaster is gonna copy/scan/quote you to who knows where i mean if i were you i'd think about hiding out a couple days like they (amfa(PUKE) do when they get it shoved up their butts...GOOD JOB Mr. Kirk ;)
OMG Mr. Kirk you also called it (amfa (PUKE) ) a SCAM!!!!!!!!!! i can't believe anyone could even THINK such a thing. are you saying that 'del & mccormick group are SCAMMERS?????????? oh,oh, i know who is comin after you now...
tada it's that little SCAB in sat. he & 'del are REEEEEAALLLY tight..............
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL lil 'o timmie SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
TWU/AFL/CIO/ATD=UNION=SCABFREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
O, hey SCABmaster you're gonna havta do all your propganda on your time now huh????

twuer said:
If, if if!!!!! You guys want to use 9/11 as an "excuse"when it benefits you. Had 9/11 not happened I know that the TWU would have the industry leading contract!!! Lousy union management and sorry contract language can do a lot of damage even without terrorists! Amfa represented carriers are in a heap of trouble. HMMMMMM?? Appears to be a pattern!
We have never had a twu industry leading contract, except with concessions. Lousy union management and sorry contract language is a twu staple. Look at the last three concessary twu contracts for proof. A twu industry leading contract? Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda...for the last 20 years. "We'll get 'um next time", "Will strike if provoked", and the lastest.... "Show me the shared sacrifice"!!! Scary stuff.

The 8 AMFA represented carriers are are fighting for their workers. The twu carrier (one...AA) is selling them out like a prostitute on crack.

"How low will you go to keep the dues flo" is the twu motto.

.....and again, WHEN IS THAT twu CARD DRIVE? Anyone...anyone........

Punks, Drunks, Cowards, Functional Illiterates, and Felons. The twu's finest.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Hackman, you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. The TWU DID negotiate the industry leading contract, then 9/11 happened. Circumstances beyond our control lead to the concessions.

Get a clue Hack, then we can argue!

It was funny watching the twu wannabes scramble to match NWA's AMFA negotiated contract. They had to or AMFA would have been a shoe in at AA. Now that the twu has nothing left of the "short lived" industry leading contract, AMFA's contract falls short in every way. The twu morons have yet to spin the fact that there aren't ANY twu drives going on in the industry and none to replace the AMFA!! twu morons spin and deceive to try and protect their self-serving intrests. It's no wonder the membership has very little to do with the twu. I do look forward to collecting cards again and I have YET to find ANYONE who will not resign!! The twu suxs, plain and simple!!! The twu will lead us down the same path as they did our brothers and sisters at Zebco!! We need to pull our heads out like our flight attendants did!! Dump the twu!!

Keep the Faith.....AMFA NOW!!!!!!!

Help me Brother ARPEY........Help me Brother ARPEY.........
Guess who??????
Guess when?????