An Interesting Res Question

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I had a very interesting experience yesterday on a day trip to ROC from ISP. First it was interesting because the fare ISP-ROC-ISP was half of what it was LGA-ROC-LGA but that's another story.

The ISP-PHL encountered a ground stop at PHL ostensibly due to visibility (there must have been more than one cloud in the sky). We left about 1 hour late, and there were a good number of connections in jeopardy. I called Chairmans and they told me that the aircraft being used ISP-PHL was the same one going on to ROC so I should be okay no matter what.

As it turns out there was a minor mechanical delay on the PHL-ROC flight to fix a noise in the pressurization system. Overall we were delayed about 20 minutes.

When I returned to the airport to come home, I went to the club and inquired about making the 5:50 main line to PHL instead of the 7:55 Buzz Bucket. When my dear friend in the club tried to accommodate me she noticed my entire return reservation was cancelled. It appears that someone had protected me on the 1:20 PHL-ROC flight, and had me as a no show on that, even though I made the original flight. Of course due to her EXPERIENCE, the story had a happy ending as I was able to make the 5:50, where I met a great flight attendant who was aware of our organization, and then spent some time with my friends in the PHL clubs.

Here's my question to my good friends here--why would it be necessary to protect someone on a later flight IF the second leg is on the same aircraft? And even if it was done due to a possible mechanical, why would the system not automatically cancel a "protection" reservation when it noted I made the original flight. Is this a common glitch or did the person who made the protection do something wrong?

My sincere thanks and appreciation to all who fixed the problem--you guys are really the best!!! Had the problem occurred elsewhere (Term F) I would likely still be away from home!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and my best to you all.........

When you are protected on a later flight , the PAX must cancel that protected segment if you don't use it. One of the lesser known responsibilities of the benefits afforded to US elites.

Any agent or the res desk can do it for you.

Art,
Glad to hear your trip ended on a good note...I'm sure the agent had your best interest at heart, however Usairways fails in not properly training them. Can you imagine if your return was all First Class in you favorite pre-reserved seat? Now you are told, all flights are overbooked and someone has already checked-in taking your seat. I've seen it happen, however it was a Chairman Preferred and three Family members. I wonder how the kiosk would handle that?????? The key is, agents need feedback on their actions. This agent, with good intentions, probably has no idea what happened to you.

Under Re-constuction, Thank-you for your continued patience.

Art -

There are several possible areas where people that were trying to help, may have hindered your return reservation.

This is purely speculation on my part, but here goes:

Once your flight left the gate in ISP you encountered the ATC Ground Stop. Once you were finally enroute to PHL, the agents in ISP may have looked at everyone's connecting flights and decided to be proactive and rebook you on the next flight, if it looked like you were going to misconnect. It is highly probable that they didn't realize that your airplane continued to ROC so they thought you would misconnect. Fortunately, you were able to make the connection.

Now for where the service failures came into play. Once your flight was enroute to PHL, either the station or the dispatch office should have posted a delay on the ROC flight if there was going to be one (reflecting turn time and not the minor mechanical). Once you boarded your original flight, when the agent "on'd" your seat, they should have noticed that your name didn't come up with the on'd seat number and taken steps to correct it....especially becuase the ticket count would not have matched the number of on'd customers.

It is my suspicion that the folks in ISP were trying to be proactive and making sure that you were protected on the next available flight. Unfortunately their help turned into an oops when you made your original flight.

Happy travels Art.....Thanks for your continued support.

Revolutions said:
When you are protected on a later flight , the PAX must cancel that protected segment if you don't use it. One of the lesser known responsibilities of the benefits afforded to US elites.

Any agent or the res desk can do it for you.
[post="173570"][/post]​

Revolutions,

I appreciate your answer, and had I been aware that I had a "protection" reservation, I certainly would have cancelled it. I had no knowledge of this backup reservation since the Chairmans Desk told me that the same aircraft would be used for the next flight, they and I concluded there was no need for a protection.

To the others this thread was not meant as a complaint at all, just an observation and request for information-- and thanks to those who have responded as of now.

My best to you all.......

Art,
You are right, had you know. In reality, any agent double-booking needs to take-on the responsibility to monitor the reservation, and cancel the un-needed
booking. By the way, Usairways technically does not support double-booking, because of blocked inventory and service failures.

Thanks for your continued patience and support.