An Ode To Busdrvr

Fly, your first two posts were hilarious! It is a shame that the third one was deleted. Wish I could have seen it. :)

Actually, this whole post is hilarious. Thanks for the good read Ukridge.

Segue said:
To Strato's point, nobody really knows if Ted is profitable...I don't think United really knows either. Ted is not really a separated airline and shares many costs with mainline operatons.

Its all about allocation of costs, when so many are shared fixed costs, your allocation will make the difference between loss and profitability. Its not fraud, its just the reality of accounting.

But, Ted could very well be profitable!
And to expand on that, when a customer buys TPA-LHR and flies TPA-IAD-LHR, how much of that fare goes to "Ted" and how much to UA? (In terms of the accounting to determine whether or not Ted is profitable)

whlinder said:
And to expand on that, when a customer buys TPA-LHR and flies TPA-IAD-LHR, how much of that fare goes to "Ted" and how much to UA? (In terms of the accounting to determine whether or not Ted is profitable)
This is the whole concept of "beyond profitability" that is one of the reasons the legacy carriers are in the trouble they are today.

The beyond profitability of the TPA-IAD segment includes the full value of the contribution to transatlantic segment. Network carriers will justify keeping unprofitable local segments in order to feed the network.

United did not know if the shuttle was ever profitable(Source: SFO Chief Pilot), how would they know if Ted is profitable at this early stage?

And I see you're acusing our CFO of criminal fraud. Do you have anything to back up your charge? I didn't think so.

Well, the article at the beginning of the "United's Future" thread seems like as good a place to start as any.

Stratocruiser,

I'll be sure to bring up your last post to the moderators. Thanks for playing. Bye Bye loser.

As another example of the games that can be played, the guy running SONG was saying it was profitable and planning to expand greatly. He said it publicly too, or at least publicly enough to get quoted in the papers. In comes new CEO, and now we see Song has been an unrelieved money-loser. How much of DIA overhead is allocated to Ted could mean it would be profitable with 30% loads, if profitable is defined as covering variable costs and making a contribution to those fixed costs that aren't being allocated to you (and I don't know that they are, just that profit, like most accounting concepts, can be stretched when speaking.) Does anyone know, has UAL claimed TED is profitable in any of its SEC filings? Because there it can only say so in a GAAP sense, unless it specifies otherwise.

Boys,
It seems that the best posts, or at least most interesting, have been deleted by the moderator.

Fly and Stratocruiser (if you are still with us), please rephrase your posts in a kinder and gentler manner so that we may be entertained properly.

:lol: Oh, it was kind...just "off subject". It was a funny picture(s) (at least I thought it was funny ;) ) Strato on the other hand........ :ph34r: ....should answer for himself :blink:

I wish you could have seen it...it was goooood! :up:

After a forced three-day hiatus, I’m back. Busdrvr and his hypocritical band of sycophants managed to get me suspended by complaining about my “use of profanityâ€￾ and “insults.â€￾ To quote my favourite poster; GMAFB!!! Nonetheless, this will be my final post.

I make no apologies for either of my posts. I simply felt the quality of the discussion on the board was deteriorating rapidly, and decided to do something about it. Whether or not I was successful remains to be seen, but also depends on the rest of you.

Despite their mountains of so-called “facts,â€￾ Busdrvr and his groupies are nothing more than elementary school playground bullies, using the anonymity of the Internet to mock and deride anyone with views contrary to their own. Any discrepancies in their facts or flaws in their logic, no matter how inconsequential, must be fully brought to light. Only by exposing their rants to the bright light of critical thinking will these parasites be forced back under the rocks from which they sprang.

Nonetheless, I do want to apologize to organizations and individuals whose names or copyrights I may have used in a slanderous fashion; namely the Boeing Company and Mr. Jake Brace. I am sorry and wish you no ill will.

Signing-off,

Stratocruiser

"Any discrepancies in their facts or flaws in their logic, no matter how inconsequential, must be fully brought to light. Only by exposing their rants to the bright light of critical thinking will these parasites be forced back under the rocks from which they sprang."

Yet during the one time you attempt a response to "inaccurate" facts, you go off in an adolescent tirade when it was proven with DIRECT quotes from open sources that it was in fact YOU who had a weak grasp of the facts. Then when asked to point out other inconsistencies, you couldn't come up with any. We welcome civil discussion, and sometimes it gets heated, but I have to hand it to you, you've set an alltime record for insults/profanity per post ratio. You will be missed.. :rolleyes: