Lufthansa Announces Investment In United

Glen Tilton is in LA LA LAND, living out his childhood fantasy of being an airline CEO. Given the last employee confidance rating 11% still SUX'S no matter how you want to look at it.

http://www.forbes.com/management/2003/01/2...yahoo&referrer=

I think GWB would be willing to sell off the US Airline industry he has proven that already. But he'll have a tough time convincing Congress to do so, it will still be locked in at 25% ownership in the end, so still no saving grace for UniTED!

Besides I thought UniTED had the banks knocking down the doors to help finance that 10 million dollar a day LOSS cash cow????

Ja, meine liebechen , Ich habe eine kleine stucke property eins sonneliche Florida, vollen Sie Kaufen?

trollydolly said:
Ukride's April fools news might not be too off base. Glen Tilton has actively been trying to change the law that states that a foriegn investor can only invest 25% into a US carrier. With such an approval by congress, and a change in the law, this scenario could in fact come into play.
[post="259866"][/post]​
I have no doubt that such a day is coming too. But, today is not the day.

More News....

@...The judge in the United bankruptcy hearing last Friday summoned Glenn Tiltin and top United executives to a closed door meeting to discuss his looming retirement from the bench and its effect on the proceedings. Judge Reicart released a statement following the meeting, "At the age of 59 I took on the United bankruptcy case fully expecting to resolve it prior to my mandatory retirement from the bench, but as the years have dragged on I have come to the conclusion I may not live to see the end of these proceedings and the prudent thing is to pass the case on to a 30 year old judge that has a shot of wrapping up the case in his lifetime." The new presiding judge will be Alfred Jackson from the Chicago federal court. Jackson immediately asked Tiltin to bring all its consultants, lawyers, forecasts, and forecasting tools to a large basketball arena in suburban Chicago where he would be able to address all the parties involved. Members of the press stood quietly as hundreds of consultants filed into the arena followed by nearly 1,000 attorneys. A large tractor trailer arrived with hundreds of thousands of legal documents as well as an extra large solid gold Magic 8-ball branded with the words "8-Ball Extreme Edition by Blammo". After several hours, Judge Jackson emerged from the arena to the press room to discuss the events of the meeting. "The one thing we could agree on regarding United is that a very profitable airline could be formed just to fly around all of United's consultants and attorneys," said Judge Jackson. "When they unveiled the magic 8-ball I knew we were in trouble. Tiltin actually has a ritual he goes through before each use of it. He gets on his knees and sways back and forth chanting 'oh ball that knows all, give us the answer we seek, we know things look bleak, but into the future we need peek.' There is then a lot of shouting of affirmation by the board of directors and finally they pose a question such as: 'Oh ball, that know all, is our growth done yet with the regional jet?'. Apparently it all has to rhyme. I think a team of the consultants writes this stuff. Fortunately the ball said 'apparently so'. I'm cleaning out these buffoons; give me a couple of weeks."

B) UT

I trust that no one actually made it to the end and still believed this story :shock: ;) Maybe these days the old April's Fools joke is no longer in vogue and so one is perhaps not on the lookout for such foolery. I must have hit upon a nerve though, as I have heard that apparently such an investment from LH still circulates in the rumour pond. I cannot speak to that other than it would seem to be time for something (anything!) to happen. I could not pick up a newspaper for six months and I would wager that after this time the talk would still be the same of "imminent changes and consolidation." Get on with it lads. Life formed on earth in less time than is required for all these "transformative phases" to play out.
Cheers

UK,

Well played as always. You are definitely a ray of sunshine with words. Good on you!

I had heard someone mention last week that UA was getting David Brent from Wernham Hogg to join the executive office. Seems he will become the new political officer attache for all things cultural. <_<

It's funny, Tilton made the remark yesterday that foreign ownership of US airlines should be raised to 49% instead of 25%. He is pushing to have it raised.

Lufthansa said today that since their Swiss air merger they are interested in cost cutting measures and not more acquisistions. This leads me to believe that something may be in the works and it may not be what we think.

I would say that it might be some Asian airline that would like to invest in Ua, possibly. Who knows.

Last time Tilton went to Congress to lobby he clearly stepped on their feet. He lobbied to change pension rules, he got his wish. Now he wants to dump pensions. I'm sure he carrys no respect with any Congressional representative anymore. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.

Ukridge:

FYI! The next time you pull a stunt like you did, do not use a the name of a real publication. There could be some legal ramifications for you.

He might not be too far off the mark. Read This

United CEO wants looser rule on foreign owners

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) — United Airlines Chief Executive Glenn Tilton Tuesday said the emergence of global "super-carriers" poses a competitive threat to U.S. network carriers that are currently hamstrung by U.S. regulations.
Tilton said U.S. rules that prevent more than 25% foreign ownership of a U.S. carrier "makes precious little sense" as cross-border consolidation accelerates in Europe and Asia. He said talk about raising the limit to 49% would be a "first step."

"I do think if we are going to be a genuine global business we should have the opportunity to access global pools of capital," Tilton said, speaking at an event hosted by the Asia Society. United is a unit of UAL.

United, which says it is the largest U.S. carrier in Asia, has been in bankruptcy since December 2002. Since then, the battered airline has been groping for an exit from Chapter 11. Like its rivals throughout the industry, UAL has been hammered by soaring fuel costs, weak revenue and low-fare competition.

novaqt - I do not think that I am on the lam quite yet. I was careful so not as to use a real name. There is of course the Central European Business Daily and a Central European Business Weekly and some other publications that are similary named.... but not one exactly so named.
Cheers

magsau said:
UK,

Well played as always. You are definitely a ray of sunshine with words. Good on you!

I had heard someone mention last week that UA was getting David Brent from Wernham Hogg to join the executive office. Seems he will become the new political officer attache for all things cultural. <_<
[post="260825"][/post]​

I heard this morning from a credible source that USAirways just hired David Brent and Gareth to take over the posts of CEO and COO. Bad luck UAL.

Latest posts