Analyst: Us Airways "likely" To Survive

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, UBS Securities airline analyst Robert Ashcroft predicts that US Airways will "likely" last the year and that while it is "no means out of the woods," the airline's chances of liquidation in 2005 are "less than 50 percent." The three dangers that still exist are a possible strike from its machinists union, the perception from travelers that US Airways no longer is worth flying and an industrywide pricing war that could make it more difficult for US Airways to attract new investors. He also predicts that all U.S. airlines will lose $2.9 billion in 2005 and that 2006 will be the "elusive transition year" for the troubled industry, with profits of $500 million.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Can you give equal time and post the stories from those who say Usairways will not survive? Or are they not on the approved list? Which makes me wonder is this one on approved list?

USA320Pilot said:
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, UBS Securities airline analyst Robert Ashcroft ....
[post="240403"][/post]​

Considering that neither the paper nor the analyst are on the "approved list of those that present the truth", can we disregard the comments?

Jim

And another....

‘last, best’ offer must be voted on by Friday

After nearly two decades working for US Airways -- initially in baggage, the last 16 cleaning airplanes -- McGuigon received word last week that he would be laid off. "We were notified last Tuesday that they were getting rid of about 800 of us in the utility department," he said. "We were told we could reapply for one of 200 baggage positions.’

As for the new baggage, or fleet service, positions, US Airways conducted the first of four-days worth of "open-house sessions" with perspective employees Tuesday at the Airport Business Center on Route 291 in the Essington section Tinicum Township.

"From what I learned today, this (job) doesn’t look too promising," said David Thomas of the West Oak Lane section of Philadelphia. "I’m a student, and I need something flexible. They are talking about a month’s worth of training and a background check. In the time it would take to do that, I could find another job."

Thomas said he was not told about the airline’s precarious financial situation at the open house. "I didn’t know anything about that," he said. "There’s another problem with the job."

Jim

I really enjoyed the article on the Hub this week about the LGA utility employee who on January 4 celebrated 50 years of employment with USAirways! He was praised by Lakefied for his accomplishment and Lakefield spoke of how valuable an employee he is........wonder if Bruce realized he will no longer have a job when the new company proposal is implemented? Shows what loyality and dedication gets you........15 weeks of severence, 4 weeks of vacation pay, couple bucks for your sick time......all this for 50 years of service!!!!!! Just think of poor Dave walking away with 11mil for 3 years work!!! :down:

HOOTERS, huh. Yea, that's the ticket.

Considering the average age of US Air FAs, can you picture in your mind them walking around in halter tops and hotpants? Some interesting imagery there.

The ATSB, GE, Airbus, Govco, Citigroup, Bombardier, Embraer, and DVD Bank have all entered into agreements to financially support US Airways' formal reorganization.

All of these business enterprises support the airline, they have all looked at US Airways' finances, and they have put their money where there mouth is, unlike most posters on this message board or the "arm chair" analysts.

What does the financial commuity know that the message board posters or "arm chair" analysts do not?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

"Lakefield told a utility person in CLT that his job is worthless."
Really, nothing like heresay eh 700UW...?

Is that what you are reduced to at this point..? That is so lame...

Thing is, this sucker is going to pass, because something is always better than nothing.

Instead of tossing out something inflammatory that you cannot prove, why dontcha help your membership, and provide some useful info instead,...?

It is not hearsay, I asked the utility person involved he told me exactly what happened, and I even asked Lakefield about it when I talked to him at the airport in DCA the first week of January for over 20 minutes.

You really should find out the facts Rico before you try and discredit someone, don't believe go ask Mr Lakefield yourself.

And I can prove exactly what happen, can you disprove it?

Like I said go ask Mr Lakefield, he will tell you exactly what happened.

Oh, I am sure there is no way this "pillar of integrity" utility worker could have not just made it up 700uw. And you neglected to tell us what Mr Lakefield said in response too...

It sounds really plausible that the CEO of a major corporation is going around, trying to court opinion in your membership's rank and file, saying something like that...

And the other question is, why would you post something, that someone else "said" they heard, into a thread titled: Analyst: Us Airways "likely" To Survive...?

You are being so lame, tossing out such pathetic and childish crap in a hope to distract your people from the fact that SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING, and this agreement is "likely to pass", and as a result, US Airways is "likely to survive".