Another Buyout / Early Out?

gso-crew

Advanced
Jul 23, 2004
From the CWA website 10/4/05

Buyout / Early Out - We proposed that another early out or buyout be offered prior to any downsizing that may take place in the merged airline. We pointed out that Southwest successfully maintains a competitive seniority level while providing periodic buyout and enhanced retirement opportunities for employees. We proposed that when the airline is facing a downsizing situation (as they are now), that it be handled first through buyout offers. Management said they will consider and discuss proposals about this, but made no further commitments. We'll put together a proposal.

10/04/2005
CWA'ers continued negotiations with management on Monday, 10/3/05...
Present for management were VP Al Hemenway and senior management Steve Raeder (operations) and Ron Harbinson (labor relations).
Present for CWA were local officers Don Peterson (Local 13301); John Tyler (3140); Jose Gomez (3641); Darla Meyer (3640); Sean Linehan, Pam Terry and Frank Spencer (2202); John Hanson (1171); Nick Manicone (CWA Attorney); and Rick Braswell (CWA Staff).
These were the issues discussed:
Seamless Service - This is the agreement that would describe how US Airways and America West employees can be cross-utilized to provide efficient customer service in the short - to medium-term during integration. We have most of the agreement worked out but there are some sticking points - the duration of the agreement is a problem (we don't want it to go on forever without a permanent agreement) and we have a disagreement with management about certain US Airways agent work that they want to have performed by AWA volunteers, retirees or managers. We also do not want cross-utilization to undermine our job security. But it looks like these issues could be worked out.
At first this seamless service agreement seemed like an urgent issue for management, but lately they don't seem prepared to move forward at the same pace. It’s hard to interpret the slowdown, but we're content to just maintain our contract protections as they exist (no cross-utilization) if management can live with that.
MidAtlantic Jets for Jobs - We made another proposal to try to settle this issue. Our MDA agents will become mainline agents - that's good - but there are other issues. The PHL Express ticket counter and baggage service offices, which have always been covered by the mainline contract have to remain covered by the mainline contract in our view. Management’s 2003 "Jets for Jobs" pledge - that RJ work would be made available to mainline agents as the company transitioned to more RJ flying - was made in return for millions of dollars in employee concessions. Our view is that management can't just sell MidAtlantic and walk away from that pledge. They have to resolve how, when and where the RJ work is going to be made available to mainline agents. It's a serious long term job security issue and in our view management is trying to dodge the obligation.
The end of the Winston-Salem hiring freeze - Our final bankruptcy court settlement with management required them to end the INT hiring freeze. The settlement was made three weeks ago. Since then, there have been AWA Res jobs posted for Phoenix each week, and there have still not been any job postings for INT res. We told management we want an explanation and documentation of when and how hiring will resume in INT. No res management was present at the meeting; management present pledged to have a response by our next meeting.
Buyout / Early Out - We proposed that another early out or buyout be offered prior to any downsizing that may take place in the merged airline. We pointed out that Southwest successfully maintains a competitive seniority level while providing periodic buyout and enhanced retirement opportunities for employees. We proposed that when the airline is facing a downsizing situation (as they are now), that it be handled first through buyout offers. Management said they will consider and discuss proposals about this, but made no further commitments. We'll put together a proposal.
Expedited arbitration process - as part of our seamless service proposal, but also with broader application, we have proposed that arbitrations be handled by a permanent neutral arbitrator who would hear expedited arbitrations within 10 days and issue a decision the next day after the hearing. Management is interested in exploring this and we think it will be a much better way to handle disputes. We are also interested in applying this to our backlog of arbitrations - currently arbitrations are often dragged out for a year or more.
We'll keep you updated as these negotiations continue.
CWA Local Officers and Staff

It's wonderful that CWA actually lets you guys know what they're working on. We however, hear nothing from teamsters. Sooooo if we vote no for teamsters--or rather the merge and U votes yes for CWA would we all have CWA or would we have to vote if we have a union at all??? As it stands here lots of agents are voting no for teamsters--because we have heard nothing on what they are working on for us. Don't be suprised if no one votes for the teamsters in res.

I for one would welcome another buyout/early out offer in Rez. I declined on the first one due to some unresolved personal issues at the time it was first offered. Those issues are now resolved and I am ready to 'move on' but not without something for my last 20 years of service.

Your CWA Local Presidents Recommend A Strong Alliance to Maintain Our Passenger Service Careers
9-19-2005
An alliance between CWA at US Airways, and Teamsters at America West, is best for the job security, standard of living and working conditions of passenger service employees at both airlines.
The lack of an alliance would be dangerous for agents at both airlines...
With the airline industry in chaos, and employees suffering cuts at every airline, agents at US Airways and America West cannot afford an antagonistic conflict against each other that would risk our salaries, our protections and our benefits.
We have worked out an alliance which will preserve the US Airways agents' CWA contract, their CWA locals and their access to information and participation in their union.
The alliance (called Association of Airline Passenger Service Employees IBT + CWA) will allow us to remain CWA members while the America West employees remain Teamster members. US Airways agents will remain protected by the terms and conditions of their CWA contract.
In the future, the goal is to bring the AWA salaries and conditions up to the CWA contract level, and to improve aspects of the CWA contract (for example: activate our "snap backs" sooner for holidays, vacation, sickdays, premiums, etc.). We eventually want a single, improved contract protecting the entire passenger service group.
When that future, single, contract is achieved, the Teamster agents in eastern stations would be CWA-represented. The CWA agents in western stations would be Teamster-represented. The Alliance will allow us to work in a concerted effort to resolve major contract issues that would affect all members, regardless of location. But that is in the future. For now US Airways agents, East and West, remain protected by their CWA contract.
Those are big goals and we can accomplish them by working together for a united passenger service group.
For the good of our careers, for the good of our new airline, it makes sense to form an alliance between the two work groups that maintains their current representation and contract (US Airways/CWA) and status quo conditions (AWA/Teamsters).
For that reason we recommend and request that you approve this Alliance when you receive your ballot and Alliance proposal in the mail.
Thank You,
CWA US Airways Local Presidents

I received a ballot to vote even tho my early out date was 8/19/05. I have thrown it in the trash. I don't think I am eligible and even if I were, I would not vote because it does not affect my life now. I'm not about to guess what the reps feelings are about the proposal. As always, I wish my former co-workers the best. You deserve it!

I sent in my NO vote. CWA and IBT needs to figure out who is going to the dance and who is going home. We don't need two prom dates.