Another Code lShare

AtlanticBeach

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
This maybe a step in the right direction, but without the 10 PM bank of flights out of CLT, those of us in the Southeast can not make it back in one day. Seems that the whole process is not thought through very well. The term vestigial comes to mind, but lack of management planning is probably more accurate. For the first time in five years, I must fly on an OA to get home from the Carribean.

This article is a few days old, but I did not see anyone else reference it. There has been alot of focus on this board regarding the negitives of the second round of concessions and the threats of liquidation. But recently there has really been a flury of activity with the addition of new markets, advertising, and now this codeshare: [BR][BR]US Airways and Windward Island Airways Begin Code Share Relationship[BR]Monday December 23, 4:23 pm ET [BR]ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways and Windward Island Airways (Winair) received U.S. government approval to begin code sharing, giving customers the ability to immediately start making reservations for flights that will begin on Jan. 13, 2003.[BR][BR]The code share flights, which will connect at St. Maarten, will bring US Airways customers expanded access to six Caribbean destinations: Anguilla, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Kitts, Nevis and St. Barthelemy, and customers on flights from the Caribbean will be able to access all 203 cities served by US Airways across the U.S., Canada and Europe. Code share flights offer the convenience of single-carrier ticketing, schedule coordination at St. Maarten, and check-in through to the destination by either US Airways or Winair at the originating station.[BR][BR]This code share is the next forward step in our GoCaribbean expansion, said Douglas Leo, US Airways vice president of international. As a result, US Airways anticipates the continuation of daily service to St. Maarten through the summer for the first time beginning in 2003, based on the strength of the GoCaribbean network relationship with Winair. [BR][BR]This is a significant step in guaranteeing greater breadth of service through convenient connections with Winair at our in-transit facility. We are both pleased and proud to have reached this important code-share agreement with US Airways, said John Strugnell, Winair managing director. With more than 42 years of service to the surrounding islands, we look forward to our new relationship with US Airways. Customers can connect to Winair via US Airways flights from two of its three hubs -- Charlotte, N.C., and Philadelphia -- to St. Maarten.[BR][BR]The agreement also provides affiliation through US Airways'' Dividend Miles frequent traveler program, enabling travelers to earn and redeem miles on all Winair flights starting Jan 13, 2003, including those operated under the code share. Miles and segments earned on Winair will count toward earning Dividend Miles Preferred status. The new partnership also introduces an intra- Caribbean award for 15,000 Dividend Miles, valid on all Winair flights throughout the Caribbean. Visit [A href=http://www.usairways.com/]http://www.usairways.com[/A] for full terms and conditions.[BR][BR]US Airways currently serves the following Caribbean destinations: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Bahama Island, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, Punta Cana, San Juan, Santo Domingo, St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. US Airways Express also serves North Eleuthera, Governors Harbour, Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay from select cities in Florida. [BR][BR]
9.gif'']

Dave is doing something WolfGang would never do - continue to develop the airline while reorganizing or recreating the business plan (merger). Look at it this way...how many of you would have thought you would see the day that US Airways would have a map of the WHOLE world in their route map section instead of just the US and western Europe.

It are the little things that you need to look at to see where the company is going - instead of what is making the major headlines ("Employee Groups Fight Like Pack of Wolves","Company Taken Hostage by Darth Bronner", etc.).

US Airways currently serves the following Caribbean destinations: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Bahama Island, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, Punta Cana, San Juan, Santo Domingo, St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. US Airways Express also serves North Eleuthera, Governors Harbour, Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay from select cities in Florida.

WOW....does US fly to any destinations that have indoor plumbing anymore...
9.gif']

DFW said:

Dave is doing something WolfGang would never do - continue to develop the airline while reorganizing or recreating the business plan (merger). Look at it this way...how many of you would have thought you would see the day that US Airways would have a map of the WHOLE world in their route map section instead of just the US and western Europe.

It are the little things that you need to look at to see where the company is going - instead of what is making the major headlines ("Employee Groups Fight Like Pack of Wolves","Company Taken Hostage by Darth Bronner", etc.).

DCAflyer replies:

I agree, DFW. Once U emerges from C-11 and enters the star alliance, I am wondering if we will run Europe to SJU flights and feed into our ever-expanding Carribean network. This would allow folks in the EU easy access to the Carribean which, unless I'm wrong, they don't now enjoy.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/26/2002 1:23:49 PM DCAflyer wrote:

I agree, DFW. Once U emerges from C-11 and enters the star alliance, I am wondering if we will run Europe to SJU flights and feed into our ever-expanding Carribean network. This would allow folks in the EU easy access to the Carribean which, unless I'm wrong, they don't now enjoy.

----------------
[/blockquote]

What a great idea. The way USAirways works, though, is the EU-SJU segments will be done by the OTHER Star Alliance partners. We must remember to "Think Small" in the great Allegheny -USAir -USAirways tradition. (It's just the way we've always done it before.)