another merger

I will go on record AGAIN and say that US will bid for NW sometime early next year if not late this year. Perfect matching once NW guts their contracts.
Personally, I dont care for another merger until this one has been put to bed but in this industry you have to keep moving ahead. Survival. Due to mechanics strike, I still wont allow anyone I know to trvl with them, too many safety issues from what I have seen. If we do merge how will that affect striking workers? Obviously, the scabs will go but what about the other workgroups? Are their contracts anything close to US's? How about seniority and pass trvl? Whats in their contracts? Its too far away to really think about that mountain when HP/US merger still has so many things to be done. Thanks all of you for keeping us informed, food for thought.

I think Parker's comments were nothing more than a posturing statement intended to help raise the stock price. I don't think they can even consider another merger, as they haven't even completed this one yet (operationally), and it looks like this is not as smooth sailing as they say it is.....

Just my humble opinion though..unlike some other posters on this board, I have been wrong before :)

It's Midwest Airlines we're merging with next. Replace the 80s with Airbuses and keep the 717s.

(Yes, I live in MKE.)

Ok, since we're going crazy (or at least me):

AMR swaps its LHR rights for NW's China authority. AMR stays chummy with BA and JAL for access to LHR and NRT. (this would be an interesting trade, since NW/LCC would have to presume that LHR rights are worth more in the face of threats to liberalize with the UK.. but then China authority is exepected to grow too, isn't it? hmmm.)

NWA merges with LCC sans China but with LHR and NRT rights, fighting for China rights later.

NWA/LCC retain membership in SkyTeam as a merged carrier.

UA and CO merge the minute the sound 'merrrrrrr' comes out of any two carriers' collective mouths. They stay in Star.

This leave AMR with China rights and close ties to BA and LHR in oneworld; and

Delta with a tenuous or cut off tie to SkyTeam.

So, here's the hard part. AMR invites DL to join oneworld, retaining much of DL's international operation out of JFK on small gauge aircraft with no service to LHR, but with small guage service to LGW. This deal presumes the massive de-rjing of Delta connection.. to the point of liquidating all those crjs. Yes, any further closeness with AMR would cause DL to lose CVG and have some cutbacks at LGA and JFK, but less than might meet the eye if they give up the RJs, or sequester them at CVG. But remember AA already gave up the LHR rights.

Then the legacy industry in the U.S. lived happily ever after, except for the employees.

Wow, Row, you need a road map to follow your scenario.

Mine is a little for to the point.

USAirways/Northwest (I only think this because PAR owns a who bunch of both of us!) If there were a merger in the near term, I don't think we'd see an operational merger for a few years. They would have to be completely run as two seperate airlines until the US/AWA sides are completely merged, then begin the process of merging NW into US Airways.

- Hubs: PHX, MSP, PHL, CLT
- Focus cities: LAS, DTW, DCA, LGA, BOS, MEM
- Int'l Gateways: SFO (Pacific Rim), PHL (Europe), CLT (Carribean/So. Am.)

United - Stays the same unless it can come up with a monitarilly-neutral way to acquire Continental, in which case Delta would die. If it folds in CO, it may eliminate EWR, opening up entry into the NY market to SW.

American - Stays the same or possibly buys Alaska; ramps up DCA/LGA/BOS shuttle in the event Delta parishes.

Continental/Delta - Sheds JFK and keeps EWR.

- Hubs: IAH, ATL, EWR
- Focus Cities: CLE, SLC, DCA, LGA, BOS
- Int'l Gateways: ATL, EWR

- Hubs: PHX, MSP, PHL, CLT
- Focus cities: LAS, DTW, DCA, LGA, BOS, MEM
- Int'l Gateways: SFO (Pacific Rim), PHL (Europe), CLT (Carribean/So. Am.)

Interesting that you think that DTW would be downgraded. :huh:

Isn't DTW more suited as a hub due to larger O&D and better infrastructure than MSP?

Interesting that you think that DTW would be downgraded. :huh:

Isn't DTW more suited as a hub due to larger O&D and better infrastructure than MSP?

No way DTW would be downgraded. There's a reason why NW refers to it as its WorldGateway.

Oh please can we get through this merger first. Things are rough enough concerning labor contracts, imagine adding a whole other group. Oy Vey!

:blink: OH NO!!! It's the 80s ALL OVER AGAIN....this can't be happening, please say it isn't so! :p

Re potential USAir merger:

why don't you ask the customer who is trying to buy your product and has been sitting on hold for thirty minutes (or better yet ask one of your chairman-preferred customers) if they think a USAir merger is a good idea?

Haven't you people had enough upheaval at one company during the past four years??