Another Nail In The Coffin Of 757 Lrtc?

FA Mikey said:
The A300 conversion will be complete by November 11. The 757 conversion will run from January 4th thru February 14 Next year. You can also see AA has dropped the MRTC on all its ads as well, as its ticket jackets, styro cups and napkins.
If it ever happens at all.

AA will probably go ahead with the A-300 LRTC modifications, but my money is on a rescission of the LRTC program on 757s.

As many others have said, how will AA respond to B6, Song, UA (E+) and others with more room when called on that fact in advertising?? AA gives you less room and no live TV How will AA compete with that?? B)

FA Mikey said:
I dont know if they have re done the interiors, But El Salvador gets a daily old Delta shuttle plane.
If I'm not mistaken the 737-800's that DL used on the DL Shuttle have not been reconfigured and have a greater seat pitch throughout the entire airplane than typical aircraft of any airline, plus leather seats. They don't offer First Class though, so, if they are indeed using these aircraft for these routes then all hopes for an upgrade are gone. Is there a high demand for paid First Class seats on this particular route or is it a route that is high VFOR (visiting friends or relatives)? I would assume yields are decent in the coach cabin in any respect.

FWAAA said:

AA will probably go ahead with the A-300 LRTC modifications, but my money is on a rescission of the LRTC program on 757s.

As many others have said, how will AA respond to B6, Song, UA (E+) and others with more room when called on that fact in advertising?? AA gives you less room and no live TV How will AA compete with that?? B)
AA will still have MRTC on business routes that demand it. But as AA itself proved, having MRTC does little to attract the discount travellers. Price is King! Followed closely by schedule and FF plan. In-flight amenities are waaaaay down the list.

AAmech said:
FWAAA said:

AA will still have MRTC on business routes that demand it. But as AA itself proved, having MRTC does little to attract the discount travellers. Price is King! Followed closely by schedule and FF plan. In-flight amenities are waaaaay down the list.
This is exactly my point! When AA launched MRTC how many customers left the other majors who had less leg room for AA? AA revenues did not rise and the the number of people transported did not rise by much especially when you discount the fact that AA purchased TWA so therefore the extra traffic and revenue came form the TWA acquisition. In the current market conditions price is king and AA should concentrate on making the travel experience enjoyable with motivated employees and that is what is working with B6, since B6 does not have their own version of economy plus in when they were attracting and satisfying the flying public with their service.

Andre1980 said:
AAmech said:
FWAAA said:

This is exactly my point! When AA launched MRTC how many customers left the other majors who had less leg room for AA? AA revenues did not rise and the the number of people transported did not rise by much especially when you discount the fact that AA purchased TWA so therefore the extra traffic and revenue came form the TWA acquisition. In the current market conditions price is king and AA should concentrate on making the travel experience enjoyable with motivated employees and that is what is working with B6, since B6 does not have their own version of economy plus in when they were attracting and satisfying the flying public with their service.
But now B6 DOES have its own version of E+ (one row removed aft of the overwing exits).

And since an aviation recession quickly followed the installation of MRTC, nobody really has any idea how it affects AA's finances.

I'll believe it when I have to sit in a LRTC 757. B)

I will also add that when AMR's financial problems gets back in the black and its fiananical future looks better and more stable, management should look to invest in a new product that will help it compete with the other majors and LCCs, I am not talking about a song like operation like DL which is a waste of time but management should try to reinvent their entire domestic coach product that will help them to compete more effectively with the other airlines and ensure that it is a product that will not affect its bottom line too much in the long term especially when economic conditions become depressed. I thought MRTC was a nice touch but I think in the future AA should be more aggressive in developing a product that will differentiate themselves from the other majors since consumers all see them them as being alike and I think they should ensure that this new product will be hard to copy(similar to what B6 is doing with its Direct TV).

I just don't see how AA is going to use the entire fleet of 757's in just leisure markets. What about thinner trans-cons? Are they all going 738's or are they going to bring the 762's back from the desert for such routes as SFO-BOS?

AS a customer, I think if they start putting LRTC757's into some of the best business markets, you guys will loose customers.

As I recall, several years ago the aircraft assigned to routes from ORD were isolated from other parts of teh route system to improve on time performance and keep ORD delays from contaminating the whole thing. IF this is the case, why can't a sub fleet of MRTC 757's be retained at ORD for Ord routes?

IT amazes me that so many times its an all or nothing mentality with certain parts of AA management.

Since I am a shreholder as well, maybe I should write someone...nah..I'll save the paper!

TAN 767 300 said:
I just don't see how AA is going to use the entire fleet of 757's in just leisure markets. What about thinner trans-cons? !
See another thread on this board. It looks like there will be a LOT of 737's used on transcons in the near future. with 757's redeployed to leisure markets as promised.

MK

With all this juggling of equipment-I hope AA keeps in mind the competitive disadvantage of n/b transcons in higher yeild markets...ie SFO-BOS..ect...
MRTC-great..ok the leg room is there but anyone give the choice of w/b over n/b on a 6hr ride would be an issue.
AA is notorious for putting small equipment on long hauls...I was SFO based for years and many pax have had to choose UA over AA because of aircraft size-comfort..
ORD west flying for years was mostly S80..it was crazy..
When these decisions have to be made-I hope the parked 767s will come to mind...as crew we even factor in the equipment in or bids..so do pax...I do when flying full fare..

I think we're making too big an issue of this. While calling it LRTC is kinda fun its really just a standard coach class configuration that has worked well wherever its' been used. Just Ask Gordo at CO. MRTC does attract and help us retain other airlines higher yeilding business passengers but does virtually nothing to attract the $199.00 RT passenger. There's nothing to stop AA from offering both MRTC and LRTC on certain routes as required.

AAmech-agreed..we can make both concepts work. i can see signs of some lower yeild markets with larger equip. on them (above)...
As that is addressed-i hope to that premium cabin concepts evolve in a fwd direction as well. COs new seat in their premium cabin was a well thought out and smart program. That business environment is much more complex and competitive than just # of seats and price. They seem (CO) to be one step ahead in this area-we could easily neglect this area-I hope not.

A little FYI... The only reason AA pulled seats out to begin with was to reduce the weight on the passenger side. This was done so they could allow more cargo on the plane!!

wrx said:
A little FYI... The only reason AA pulled seats out to begin with was to reduce the weight on the passenger side. This was done so they could allow more cargo on the plane!!
..that may be part of it but MRTC has more to do that just cargo increases..
again-it they could put the right panes on the right routes we could benefit max revanue potential..insread of weight restriction ect ect...