Another Slap in the Face from APFA

Jim, no one "sells" their trips to a service.

True. People want schedule flexibility, and pay trading services to provide that service. Trading services at AA are used more than they were at TWA because of the complexities of getting trips into your line at overtime rates.

We had "traders" at TWA although there was no license involved and no company sanction. Believe it or not, there were many who ranted and raved about our flexibility. The idea was that if senior people couldn't drop their nice trips, they'd quit in droves and we'd all move up in seniority and be holding FCO and ATH on our own. I think people are finally realizing that nothing will make senior people quit except their own desire to do so.

Schedule flexibility may be the single most desirable part of the FA job. I'm always cautioning people to be careful what they propose giving up in the hope of moving up the seniority ladder. We should cherish our flexibility and push for more, not less.

MK

True. People want schedule flexibility, and pay trading services to provide that service. Trading services at AA are used more than they were at TWA because of the complexities of getting trips into your line at overtime rates.

We had "traders" at TWA although there was no license involved and no company sanction. Believe it or not, there were many who ranted and raved about our flexibility. The idea was that if senior people couldn't drop their nice trips, they'd quit in droves and we'd all move up in seniority and be holding FCO and ATH on our own. I think people are finally realizing that nothing will make senior people quit except their own desire to do so.

Schedule flexibility may be the single most desirable part of the FA job. I'm always cautioning people to be careful what they propose giving up in the hope of moving up the seniority ladder. We should cherish our flexibility and push for more, not less.

MK
Amen! I am now buying you at least two drinks when you come back! Red wine of course, (me too)!

There's a Sabre code which lists traders for a base. I'm probably still in there for STL (Mark's Bids and Trades). There will be a five hour class in DECS and RES for the recalls. Tell Carol to be sure to ask that question. Of course, word of mouth on the line will be a good source as well.

MK

So how do you find a LGA trip trader?

In DECS, you enter HIDIR and select option 9. Give you a list of all the registered services. But I agree with MK, it will be best to just ask when you get there. Satisfied customers will always rave about their bid service, if they have been jilted or not satisfied, they will tell you that also.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='492627' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:47 AM']We have 4 trade services in LGA. Three of them are not taking new clients. I think the only one who is taking them is Poof.

I use A1 and she rocks![/quote]

thanks for the info

Do any of the FAs simply fly the lines they bid?

Some flight attendants fly the lines they bid. Those FA's are the ones who need set days off and either aren't savvy/daring enough to trip trade, or just don't have the time to do it. I NEVER fly the line I hold.

Even if I hold something I like, I don't do a whole month of it. I just don't like routine, I guess. It depends if there is something better to pick up or trade my trips for. At times I just look at my upcoming trip one to two days out and think to myself that I really don't feel like doing it and I either drop it or trade it. Sometimes I have a good trip and put it on the trade board as bait to see if I could get an even better trip on a different day. I also don't really fly what I hold because I like to back up my trips all up to each other and have 10 to 14 days off in a row.

Do any of the FAs simply fly the lines they bid?
I'm sure some do, but I bet it's less than 25%. The reasons are obvious. Using BidPro, a scan of the June bids for LGA shows exactly four lines with all weekends off. Line 23 is MIA turns, 75 is DFW turns, and 102 and 106 are S80/B737 two and three day trips which aren't too pretty, although fairly efficient.

So if certain things are important to you, some schedule manipulation is virtually mandatory. Luckily for me as a junior puke, when and if I return I'll be looking for exactly the opposite of what most want; I'll be dropping trips during the week and trying to cram as much as I can into the weekends.

The obvious answer is preferential bidding. Ask any ex-TWA pilot to tell you why. Flight allocations would not be put into lines; your bid would consist of requesting trips that fall within certain parameters: for example, a commuter might request no signins before noon and no arrivals after 1800, or someone might want 767's with layovers on the west coast only. Some schedule manipulation would often still be necessary, but once people got used to it I think they'd be happy.

Won't happen, though. People are too resistant to change, and this would be a MAJOR change.

MK

I'm sure some do, but I bet it's less than 25%. The reasons are obvious. Using BidPro, a scan of the June bids for LGA shows exactly four lines with all weekends off. Line 23 is MIA turns, 75 is DFW turns, and 102 and 106 are S80/B737 two and three day trips which aren't too pretty, although fairly efficient.

So if certain things are important to you, some schedule manipulation is virtually mandatory. Luckily for me as a junior puke, when and if I return I'll be looking for exactly the opposite of what most want; I'll be dropping trips during the week and trying to cram as much as I can into the weekends.

The obvious answer is preferential bidding. Ask any ex-TWA pilot to tell you why. Flight allocations would not be put into lines; your bid would consist of requesting trips that fall within certain parameters: for example, a commuter might request no signins before noon and no arrivals after 1800, or someone might want 767's with layovers on the west coast only. Some schedule manipulation would often still be necessary, but once people got used to it I think they'd be happy.

Won't happen, though. People are too resistant to change, and this would be a MAJOR change.

MK

Honestly the stuff that people come up with. Now why would someone say that there co-workers are not savy,just because they like there line and perhaps the people there flying with. I'm not sure how long some of the posters on this thread have been flying for AA,not reno,not TWA or EAL or PA but ..AA and remember one of the strike issues was regarding PBS.Why would I want PBS when I can strech my unslec vaca to 21 days or bid a great line and there happens to be 1 crummy trip for my taste not your tastes but mine and I can bid myself a conflict and make it up another time and a better trip for me.There is plenty
of flexability with our trips and the bid packages are relativly small due to all the basses so it's fast to go thru. I'm based at IMA and I can use the online bidding or go thru it myself it's a small bidsheet on par with JFK.I'd hope all those who are not happy with being a F/A at AA and there working conditions are currently involved with APFA..are you info reps,do you answer the phones at various desks at APFA, do you make it a prioty to wrtie up a/c issues,inform your supervisor or base managers of needs or ways to fix things and what have you if not please reconsider your employment. And if you plan to proffer in to IMA your welcome but you better get on with a good day on our trips because thats what we do.

thanks for the info

You are welcome.

Here are the names of all four at LGA:

1. A1 Trades (The best trade service at LGA and not taking new clients)

2. Perfect Partners (I believe they are not taking new clients, but check)

3. Poof (Taking clients)

4. Trading PlAAces (Brand new service and not taking new clients)

You can find their phone numbers on Hiboard or in HIDIR.

Honestly the stuff that people come up with. Now why would someone say that there co-workers are not savy,just because they like there line and perhaps the people there flying with. I'm not sure how long some of the posters on this thread have been flying for AA,not reno,not TWA or EAL or PA but ..AA and remember one of the strike issues was regarding PBS.Why would I want PBS when I can strech my unslec vaca to 21 days or bid a great line and there happens to be 1 crummy trip for my taste not your tastes but mine and I can bid myself a conflict and make it up another time and a better trip for me.There is plenty
of flexability with our trips and the bid packages are relativly small due to all the basses so it's fast to go thru. I'm based at IMA and I can use the online bidding or go thru it myself it's a small bidsheet on par with JFK.I'd hope all those who are not happy with being a F/A at AA and there working conditions are currently involved with APFA..are you info reps,do you answer the phones at various desks at APFA, do you make it a prioty to wrtie up a/c issues,inform your supervisor or base managers of needs or ways to fix things and what have you if not please reconsider your employment. And if you plan to proffer in to IMA your welcome but you better get on with a good day on our trips because thats what we do.
I will answer the second part of your post. 1) I signed up to be an info rep and even followed up on it, but APFA dropped the ball. 2)I write up issues ALL the time, I get a polite thanks at times but no follow-up. 3) Inform my supervisor? He won't return telephone calls unless it is to put you on some sort of "step". (BTW he is a former TWA, Rick Powell, everyone I have met in his group can't stand him. Where are these understanding, helpful, supervisors you guys talked about? :p ) 4) I am reconsidering my employment, but I have too many years in right now to just quit.
BTW, we must not be talking about the same IMA, because everytime I have flown with IMA crews, I have noticed "The rules are different there." In other words a good percentage of your base does their own thing! (No problem for me, but hey don't spit up in the air, you know where it lands.)

Any other suggestions?