Any Rjs Coming To Isp

Feb 11, 2004
With the New SWA terminal at ISP and New 737 jets, US has to upgrade there operation at ISP to stay pertinent. US is the only airline at ISP flying props to there hubs.

Does it really matter? You can't stand US and you always complain about the fares.

Yes it does matter. The company needs to be competitive, and this could be a lucrative market. It would be good strategy for them to attack Southwest in their own backyard. US is in fact the only large prop commuter left at ISP (not counting the Beech's flown by Commutair for CO). They could add RJ's to CLT or DCA and be a real player here at ISP.

For what it's worth, we the passengers have every right to complain about fares which are antiquated and MUCH too high. I propose an alternative pricing method which would RATIONALIZE fares to the point where revenues would increase with higher AVERAGE fares paid, and with last minute unrestricted fares attractive enough to get back business lost to people who might drive or fly another carrier. There is a smart way to do this. Go Fares are just the beginning--wait and see.

Long Island 2004's point is well taken. I would also point out that the current schedule of 4 r/t a day has been made even worse by changing flight times to make connections more difficult if not impossible. They should have rotated these flights earlier instead of later--the 7:50 departure to PHL could have been 6:30 if it had to change from the original 7:10. Now ISP customers cannot make most Caribbean connections, as 40 minutes is nowhere near enough time to get from Terminal F to A West--can't be done even on a GOOD day.

I wish you all the best.

Yes, I sat next to another US1 yesterday who did nothing but #### and moan about US's service and prices. I politely suggested he choose a different carrier. Then he said he will absolutely never fly coach and that he must be upgraded. Then he went on to say that "US Air ran new entrants out of PIT". Umm, US matched the fares of the new entrants. Passengers, in turn, unwilling to give up their perks and FF miles, continued flying US. He basically implied US should have ceded the route to the entrant. He also blamed US for keeping other carriers out of PIT. Last I checked, PIT had several unused gates just waiting for LCCs to come in. I also pointed out that LCCs won't fly to every destination US does out of PIT. He said that's not true and that they (meaning, LCCs) are looking to open a new hub in PIT.

He also said WN already announced its service in PIT, which is bogus. He also said Delta already declared Chapter 11, which is also bogus. Just more proof that many in the flying public read only headlines and not the content of news stories.

Sorry, had to vent. The guy really irritated me as he did nothing but complain but, god forbid, would never part with his perks and take his business elsewhere.

Actually, yes, he did, but that doesn't bother me as long as people keep their shoes on.

The only thing he said which I agreed with is that US gives out too many "fly x segments by y date and we'll upgrade you to Chairman's", as this very much devalues the program for those of us that actually buy and fly the tickets to earn US1 status the traditional way.

I find that when any customer wants to moan and complain about USAirways on a flight, I give them a complaint card to fill out and mail into the Company. I politely explain that they should inform management of their dissatisfaction. This usually shuts them up. ;) :rolleyes:

I would rather be in the back of a dash 8 than a erj145. More room, fill it up with a jumpseater.

How do you expect ticket prices to come down when they are not even making enough to pay the current bills?

And our labor costs are cheaper then everyone elses?

Do you know the company has still not acted upon any of the suggestions where the IAM Mechanic and Related can save the company $80 to $100 Million annually?

I make these comments because there was a time when I really did like US. In the Late 80s - early 90s (give or take a few years), US was King at ISP. There wasn’t any body on Long Island that I knew that didn’t use US. Whether they are going to MCO on vacation or LAX on Business, US was the airline to move the people. Then in August 1997, US forgot how to make money with the thousands of travels who were using them. Two Years later, March 1999, SWA comes to town. 12 Flights to start, They build there own terminal and now it looks like they are going to 80 Flights a day. And remember, Long Island has one of the highest per capita household incomes in the country. So the money is out there to be made.

You have to remember this is he same company who dismantled the Florida Shuttle which accounted for 32% of Piedmont's Gross Revenue.

All the F28s stayed in state with the exception of one JAX-LGA evening flight. There was always one spare located in MIA (maintenance base) or in TPA (pilot training), so if one broke it could be anywhere in 45 minutes.

US started running 727s from BOS-CLT-JAX-TPA-MIA, and back, flights were always delayed out of the Northeast and it screwed it up for the whole day.

And we gave up the inter-florida market to Comair and now WN.

40 minutes from F to A West?

It just so happens that I walked that very route on Friday.

Took the shuttle to C16 and walked to the very end of A West. Couldn't have taken me more than 15-20 minutes....and I certainly was in no hurry.

With one of their crown jewels, LGA, just 40 miles away, I can't see ISP being very important to US. I hope I'm wrong, but I think ISP is going to be one of the last places to see RJs replace Dash-8s.

But Art's has a valid point. If US is going to stay at ISP, they could at least improve their schedule with the aircraft that they have to make the service as useful as possible to their high-paying business customers. Maybe there just aren't enough of them so they don't care?

Latest posts

Back