More Isp Svc Lost

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
ISP-PHL has already been cut from 6 to 5 to 4 daily trips, and the times have been shifted to make many previous connections almost impossible. I have noted this before.

Now I heard that from mid July until August 7th another r/t 3972/4059 is being lost allegedly due to lack of crews. This brings ISP down to 3 flights a day to PHL, with the last one being 3 PM. From there the late shift has nothing to do until 11:30 when the last inbound pulls in.

This shows me that US could really care less about ISP, and maybe this is the beginning of the end for us there. Are that many crew members defecting from PDT to MDA? Are any?

Does anyone have any information about this or the future of ISP? If PHL is going away as a hub, why not ISP-DCA or ISP-CLT instead? We have had it in the past.

I am just shaking my head--there are more than a few US1's and US2's based at ISP--and they are virtually handing us off to the competition.

Another subject for the August 7th discussion in PHL....at least I know I will get there okay--I am driving!

My best to you all........

Art,

Kinda makes ya feel like U doesn't want your business, doesn't it?

I've read your comments for years, you've been articulating your concerns very well for a long time... at what point does one throw up their hands and say, "See ya!"

If it's any consolation, most U employees I talk to are totally frustrated with this service decline and mistreatment of loyal customers such as yourself. It's a disgrace.

I hope your travel options improve in the future.

D

Art: It is amazing to me how US has really gone from king of the hill at ISP to a complete irrelevant carrier on Long Island. Years ago US was THE airline for Long Islanders weather they were going to Florida, the Midwest or the west. Now that is over. SWA is King now and will most likely for the next decade. Also SWA is talking the talk and walking the walk by putting up $70 Million for the new terminal. Coming in August, SWA will be flying non-stop to LAS. That would have been unheard of years ago.

ART: Also, US has got to be kidding with the fares from ISP-PHL. I mean really $718.00 R/T for a very old prop plane. Now, we all know that no one going to pay that fare. Most likely, SWA will enter that market soon and drop that fare to a more reasonable fare of $ 49.00 - $ 79.00 and that will mostly likely mark that end of US at ISP.

Dilligas,

Thank you for your kind words. I have tried very hard to be loyal to US--even when it does not make sense for me to do so. I truly believe in my heart that the employees are absolutely the best, and I am friendly with many of them. I am going to hold on at least until the "Roachfest" in Philly on August 7th, and if I do not get the answers I am looking for, unfortunately, I will have to consider my options.

It saddens me to think that perhaps the ultimate goal is to shut down after all....the actions truly seem to indicate this.

Long Island 2004,

I agree completely. ISP can be a good market--if done properly. For reasons I am not willing to debate, WN is NOT an option for me-I'd rather drive. Regarding the fare comment, let me reiterate that I am not flying to Roachfest--I am DRIVING!!
This should make a statement don't you think? Although perhaps falling on deaf ears.

To my good friends at US, if I do leave, it is only because I don't have a choice--its not something I want to do...I will do my best to stick it out but only time will tell..

My very best to you all........

Art
Just to let you know you can get your boarding passes for WN flights at home via the computer. This is for both the original flight and for any connections. You can get these boarding passes from what I've been told starting at 6AM the day before your flight (it bused to be 12:01AM the day of the flight & no passes for connections). If you can't get them at home you can get them at the airprt from a skycap, ticket counter, or self-serve kiosk. This will allow you to be boarding group A even on connections. What else can SWA do for you.

Art at ISP said:
Are that many crew members defecting from PDT to MDA? Are any?
Allegheny will lose approx. 80 pilots in July and August alone to MDA. PDT will lose about 20-25 pilots during the same time period. Over 700 flights will be cancelled in July alone on the ALG side.

MMMMM, ALG operations is canceling 4 lines of flight, not sure how that adds up to 80 pilots and 700 flights. Oh and the PDT side is picking up one of the lost lines. As of today AGL is losing 13 flight members, over 40 have left since Jan before the MAA deal was offered.................some people just love the doom and gloom. B)

Knock Knock.....
Whos there?

Everyone who has a brain flys out of JFK or LGA, you might want to look into that if you have issues with all the reduced service out of ISP.

USAirUnited said:
Knock Knock.....
Whos there?

Everyone who has a brain flys out of JFK or LGA, you might want to look into that if you have issues with all the reduced service out of ISP.
First of all, your comment is a bit unwarranted. I do fly out of LGA or JFK when necessary, but I would rather drive 15 minutes and pay $9 a day to park rather than drive over an hour and spend $24 a day to park. Long term parking at JFK is a pain in the butkus.

ISP is the most convenient for me--

Regarding WN, the issue is not open for debate--it will never happen. Not open for discussion--I'd rather drive. If they come out with advanced seat assignments MAYBE, but until then, no way. For the record I did try Jet Blue, and my lowered expectations were met completely.

The issue is more that perhaps US just doesn't care about their customers anymore....there is a loyal base of Very Frequent Fliers at ISP and they are literally being shown the way to the competition. It's like BWI all over again albeit on a smaller scale.

My best to you all.....

WO/drone said:
MMMMM, ALG operations is canceling 4 lines of flight, not sure how that adds up to 80 pilots and 700 flights.
The 80 is for July and Aug. 39 pilots from ALG at MDA in July and 40 in Aug, for a two month total of 79 pilots. The 700 cancelled flights are for July and the 39 pilots. Keep in mind, not all 39 going in July are going at the first on the month, they are spread out over the month, so the last part of July will be worse than the beginning of the month. The planned Aug cancelations have not been announced, but they are coming. Hopefully PDT will be able to pick up more flying. I know they are probably training close to capacity, so we'll see...

Art, this isn't about debate; it's just my observation. I find it interesting how much you want to avoid WN.

I generally try to avoid them myself, so I understand some of your position. Maybe it's growing up in the West that baffles me to hear "I'd rather drive." If WN were the only airline to fly up and down the West Coast, there's no way I'd take two or three days to drive what otherwise would be a two or three hour flight. Just wouldn't happen.

And if I were stuck with a choice between WN nonstops on jets and US out-of-the-way connections on Beeches at several times the WN price, I'd take WN in a heartbeat. But that's just me.

FWIW, I have flown maybe five trips on WN. Never been my cup of tea, either. But my threshold for legacy pain is also fairly low.

I gotta agree with mweiss on this one.

The contortions in logic (and travel routing) I see some people here go through to avoid WN-- like Art and PineyBob are really fascinating.

Piney, do you see just the teeniest bit of irony when you criticize some of the U union members for being stubborn and acting irrationally (in your eyes) to make a point, yet you do the same in going through great lengths to avoid a (horrors!) 60-minute nonstop WN flight to CLE?