AOC/NFOC.... And LIFE! lol

Dude

Mar 20, 2006
I need some help with a few things...

First of all, I really want to have a career in aviation regardless of the military but from what I've seen and heard, it looks to me like you gain much more experience from the military than anywhere else. Is this true?

If I were to go through the military, is it beneficial to get pilot ratings before potentially getting into AOC or NFOC? Do you need less training if you do? Are there any differences between Aviation Officer Candidate School or Naval Flight Officer Candidate School?

Are these schools really competitive or are the chances actually pretty good?

I would LOVE some general opinions about a pilot's lifestyle in and out of the military, before and after the military, and just being a pilot in general. Is it better outside? Does it pay better?

Anyways... I would be really extremely thankful if someone could provide me with more information about this. I'm confused almost to death about some of this stuff! I'm 17 years old and went from wanting a career in Nanotechnology to wanting a career in Aviation about a week ago when someone raised the question to me: "but why aren't you going to do what you love?" (flying) and I really didn't know what to tell them. The reason I wasn't going to in the first place is because an eyedoc told me I had mild colorblindess; which is now "gone". But I looked into it and have been more excited about my career than ever. I can't wait to fly!! :eek:ff: woops...

Sorry to bore you but I was hoping (and betting) that you guys and gals have more passion about flying than my high school counselor :shock: ... shocking I know HAHA... and that you might not mind taking a second to post about a career that you love. So thanks again and by the way... if this is in the wrong section I'm REALLY SORRY! This is my first post.

First of all, there are not too many military pilots that would spend time on this webboard. If they are not deployed or getting ready to deploy they are probably spending time with their families.

Second, yes it is good to have some flight experience before you apply because it is a competitive process. Anything past a private pilot's license is probably overkill. They will teach you the way they want you to fly while you are in training. After graduation you can expect to have a committment of 8-10 years.

Depending on which service and aircraft you fly you will be away from home anywhere from 90 - 200 days per year, but the pay is good. Also most of the trips are longer than civilian trips, excluding some cargo carriers; 10 - 21 days at a time, or deployments of 45-180 days. Some people adjust better to this than the airline job where you are gone every week 3-4 days.

Back to the pay issue. With the latest trends you will do much better over 20 years with a miltary job and bonuses than you would at a typical airline. After 20 years, if your airline is still around there is potential for a much much greater financial gain from an airline job, even with strikes and threats of strikes.

Which ever way you choose there are good and bad things about both. Look for the good, live within your means, trust God, and marry a supportive person.

I am a Naval Flight Officer from a small Naval Aviation Community and I have found the best website to take this question to is www.airwarriors.com. It is a site dedication to Naval Aviation. The most important thing to remember about becoming either a NFO or Naval Aviator is that you are a Naval Officer first and then an aviator. Although a lot of people use the military for free flight training, there is actually a cost in the commitment to the military for 6-8 years and the lifestyle it brings. Best of luck to you.