Wannabe Pilot help please

Adam87

Apr 14, 2008
Hi ,

I am very interested in becoming a pilot in the military. As far as I've found out so far I need to become an officer, to get there I'm going to finish college with a BA and go through an OCS program.

Here's my dilemma: As of now I would love to be a fighter pilot, but after the military I would love to fly air ambulances (choppers) I'm an emt right now and emergency medicine is a must for me. Is there a crossover program from fixed wing to rotary? Or would I be better off flying choppers in the military (this is my next choice, i love aircraft period)

I know I have little experience with aircraft, so after experiencing the lifestyle of a fighter pilot or the g's stressed on one's body I know I might change my mind. So, how would a regular guy go about finding this stuff out without actually being a pilot first and doing all the work for nothing? I don't know any pilots and all my ex military family are long gone.

I know no matter what i need to finish school so I'll stick with that for now.

Thank you for your time!

Adam,

The Air Force requires a degree, the Army does not. First you need to decide what you want to be, a fighter pilot or a helicopter pilot. If your ultimate goal is to be an EMS pilot, go with helo's. you will need lots of helo time to get hired for EMS. Either way I would go with the Air Force. They have better equipment, better quality of life, and better pay (bonus's). However, once you feel yhe thrill of a fighter jet you might forget about EMS. Just make a descision on what is most important to you. Absolutly get your degree either way! By the way i flew helos for the Army for 15 years and now fly fixed wing. i enjoyed the helo flying but now that I am older (43) I prefer the fixed wing flying. If you join the military stick with it and get yor 20 years, the retirement is nice. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hi ,

I am very interested in becoming a pilot in the military. As far as I've found out so far I need to become an officer, to get there I'm going to finish college with a BA and go through an OCS program.

Here's my dilemma: As of now I would love to be a fighter pilot, but after the military I would love to fly air ambulances (choppers) I'm an emt right now and emergency medicine is a must for me. Is there a crossover program from fixed wing to rotary? Or would I be better off flying choppers in the military (this is my next choice, i love aircraft period)

I know I have little experience with aircraft, so after experiencing the lifestyle of a fighter pilot or the g's stressed on one's body I know I might change my mind. So, how would a regular guy go about finding this stuff out without actually being a pilot first and doing all the work for nothing? I don't know any pilots and all my ex military family are long gone.

I know no matter what i need to finish school so I'll stick with that for now.

Thank you for your time!

Latest posts

Back