APFA and AA Resume Talks 5/18

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
I guess we will see what kind of leverage the FAs have at 10am on the 19th. I can't wait to see the results of the vote.
Talks resume 5/18
Strike Vote out 10am 5/19

If anyone needs the highlights of the strike road show and the questions and answers pertaining to a possible strike, pm me.

You really think the percentage who want to strike will be that high?

I think they're it's a tough sell to AA, the NMB and the public that the best paid flight attendants in the industry should be allowed to walk out and shut down a major US airline for yet more money.

My guess is that at least 90% of the f/a's will be voting to go on strike.

I'll bet that the percentage will not be released.
I'll bet that while many voted "yes", few will be willing to back up that yes.
There is more to the equation than dollar per hour. That figure can be very misleading.

I'll bet that the percentage will not be released.
I'll bet that while many voted "yes", few will be willing to back up that yes.
There is more to the equation than dollar per hour. That figure can be very misleading.
WRONG.... I went to the union meeting and the negotiators believe it will be a very high percentage and it will be counted.
Anyone who was here 1993 is getting all pumped up for a strike. It worked last time and it will work this time.
Yes times are different but just look at the company's last proposal and it will make anyone walk.
The union showed that AA has the cash for a contract. They said the company is spending money like crazy. They Have the cash !!!! I'm not buying their bull for one minute..... I've been here too long...

Maark767 said:
Anyone who was here 1993 is getting all pumped up for a strike. It worked last time and it will work this time.

Have all the strike votes you like.

But do you think for a second this administration is going to let 15,000 relatively well paid airline employees voluntarily become unemployed by releasing them to self help when the national unemployment level is thisclose to 10%?

But do you think for a second this administration is going to let 15,000 relatively well paid airline employees voluntarily become unemployed by releasing them to self help when the national unemployment level is thisclose to 10%?
Nobody knows the answer to that. You may think you do but how many times have things like this gone the other way. Opposite of what everyone thinks. So far the NMB has not said no to our request .Just sit tight and see what happens. I know one thing, the F/As are ready . We are fed up with AA's bull. It has to stop at some point. Aren't you tired of it???

[/quot

This may or may not be a traditional strike. The APFA may decide to have JFK shut down for a day. Or they may decide for all flight attendants to strike for 48 hours. Or they may close Mia for a day. All European destinations might be targeted. We are thinking outside the box with the knowledge that Obama may get involved. Whatever happens will be well thought out and will be designed to create the greatest fear in the average customer that their flight may or may not operate. That is when a strike becomes effective. When paying passengers steer away from an airline and create an economic hardship for American Airlines. That is the law of this great country and we are preparing to use it to our full advantage.

You really think the percentage who want to strike will be that high?

I think they're it's a tough sell to AA, the NMB and the public that the best paid flight attendants in the industry should be allowed to walk out and shut down a major US airline for yet more money.

Let me educate you on a few things. First of all we are not the best paid in the industry by a long shot. That honor belongs to Southwest who make about $15-20 more an hour then we do. Continental Airlines makes a higher hourly wage then us too. Yes, compared to those LLc"s who have gone BANKRUPT we are higher paid. But let me tell you something. We are setting the bar for the future. Those flight attendants in negotiations for United and Continental as well as those of USair are keeping a keen eye on us. Whatever we get in this round of negotiation will set the tone for theirs. Those airlines will not be able to hide behind bankruptcy law to gut contracts. Even non-union Delta will soon align its pay scale to that of AA in the hope that their flight attendants will not vote in a union.

Let me educate you on a few things. First of all we are not the best paid in the industry by a long shot. That honor belongs to Southwest who make about $15-20 more an hour then we do. Continental Airlines makes a higher hourly wage then us too. Yes, compared to those LLc"s who have gone BANKRUPT we are higher paid. But let me tell you something. We are setting the bar for the future. Those flight attendants in negotiations for United and Continental as well as those of USair are keeping a keen eye on us. Whatever we get in this round of negotiation will set the tone for theirs. Those airlines will not be able to hide behind bankruptcy law to gut contracts. Even non-union Delta will soon align its pay scale to that of AA in the hope that their flight attendants will not vote in a union.

Jersey777,

I dont really think the new UAL will be looking to AA f/a's for betterment of anything. AA f/a's make less than CAL f/a's and we will strive for much better than that, as far as work rules, well that is subjective. I think AA is in a REAL tough spot right now, and especially since it is now going to be subpar to DAL and UAL.. I believe that you guys should get back EVERYTHING you gave up and then some, but I dont see it happening. I think AMR will just file for BK b/f any strike happens. AMR can't compete as effieciently now b/c of it, and it certainly wont be able to after these 2 mergers.

Jersey777,

I dont really think the new UAL will be looking to AA f/a's for betterment of anything. AA f/a's make less than CAL f/a's and we will strive for much better than that, as far as work rules, well that is subjective. I think AA is in a REAL tough spot right now, and especially since it is now going to be subpar to DAL and UAL.. I believe that you guys should get back EVERYTHING you gave up and then some, but I dont see it happening. I think AMR will just file for BK b/f any strike happens. AMR can't compete as effieciently now b/c of it, and it certainly wont be able to after these 2 mergers.

Listen here sweetie. I have lots of friends at UAL and CAL and I know for a fact that our negotiations are being closely watched by both work groups. This is not a school yard game of "my contract is better than yours." We all benefit when a competitor obtains a favorable contract. As far as the future goes ,don't worry your pretty little head about poor old American Airlines. I'll admit that the press and excitement for change is favoring a combined UAL/CAL but don't let your guard don't and go down that tired old "you need to declare bankruptcy" crap. American Airlines is very much in the game and will always be a strong competitor against any airline.

I don't think AA wil file BK. They will get what they want re: defined benefit. (either through negotiations or implemented workrules) AA dose not ever want anyone else telling them how they can or cannot spend their money. Posturing yes, doing it, no.

Listen here sweetie. I have lots of friends at UAL and CAL and I know for a fact that our negotiations are being closely watched by both work groups. This is not a school yard game of "my contract is better than yours." We all benefit when a competitor obtains a favorable contract. As far as the future goes ,don't worry your pretty little head about poor old American Airlines. I'll admit that the press and excitement for change is favoring a combined UAL/CAL but don't let your guard don't and go down that tired old "you need to declare bankruptcy" crap. American Airlines is very much in the game and will always be a strong competitor against any airline.

Of course, everyone always watches what happens in negotiations, but we arent setting the bar with your pay, we are negotiating right now, not after you finish, and UAL f/as already turned down CAL's pay scale and contract, and yes, we were formally offered it by UAL mgmt. Saying that, of course, UAL isnt going to settle for AA pay rates, we will go above that, then after we are done with that, we will negotiate again with CAL f/a's and achieve the best of both. I dont necessarily think AMR "needs" to file BK, but I think AMR "will" file BK. You need to look forward and then you will see. First, AMR is losing ground in NY and my guess, it will lose even more ground in Chicago, Smisek is a competitor, so he wont retreat like the old UAL is my guess. AMR has a subpar alliance compared to DAL and UAL, therefore it isnt as attractive to businesses . Maybe its just me, but , with all work groups in negotiations, and already high labor costs and older fleet, loss of market share, etc., I am not smelling roses like you.

Yes I do. Whether it takes 30 days after a release or the 90 days after a release and a PEB we will strike UNLESS they take us seriously. Whatever it takes. If they want to break the company by not negotiating with us then so be it. They've already proven how badly they can mismanage a company.

I don't think AA wil file BK. They will get what they want re: defined benefit. (either through negotiations or implemented workrules) AA dose not ever want anyone else telling them how they can or cannot spend their money. Posturing yes, doing it, no.

I bet they dont like anyone telling them how they can spend their money, but sometimes that is not their choice. My point is, you have a company that is already losing more money than its competitiors, namely DAL and UAL/CAL, and then you toss in the mix a higher Pilot, F/A, and Mechanic wages etc, and that does not spell profitability, HOWEVER, it is not any of these work groups fault either, and they should get their money back, I just dont see how it is going to happen to be honest, and that is just being realistic. I definitely think AMR owes its employees their raises for keeping them out of BK this far though.

Back