APFA and AFA reach agreement!

Sep 18, 2007
Miami
Details--

Summary of Agreements on Seniority, Bargaining & Representation

AFA/APFA Seniority Integration Protocol
  • AFA and APFA will utilize the “Occupational Seniority Date” at American and the Seniority Integration Date, commonly referred to as date-of-hire, at US Airways.
  • A 40 day adjustment will be made for American Flight Attendants, representing the average amount of time for initial training, to coincide with the historical seniority start date at the beginning of training for US Airways Flight Attendants.
  • No system flush or displacements as a result of merging of seniority lists.
  • Agreement is separate from bargaining and representation. The seniority process is not contingent on any other agreement.
AFA/APFA Agreement on Bargaining and Representation (ABR)
  • This agreement is contingent on two items:
    1. AFA and APFA reaching agreement with the company on a process to achieve a contract that improves upon the AFA-US Airways Agreement and the APFA Agreement as modified by the CLA, collectively and separately, and
    2. US Airways Flight Attendant ratification of the bargaining process and representation.
  • Both the AFA/US Airways Agreement and the APFA Agreement as amended by the CLA will be used to achieve a single contract.
  • The economic standard for negotiations and arbitration would provide the means to achieve an industry-leading contract through improvements over both contracts, collectively and separately.
  • The Negotiating Committee will consist of equal numbers from AFA and APFA.
  • The opening proposal will be based on a joint survey of all Flight Attendants and an “adopt and go” method for including the best provisions from contract.
  • Negotiations will begin no later than 60 days after US Airways Flight Attendants ratify and the APFA Board of Directors approve the bargaining process.
  • Negotiations will continue for a period of 150 days, with a set schedule of dates for negotiations with the company.
  • If a tentative agreement is reached it will be submitted to all members for ratification. If rejected, the parties will utilize mediation to resolve the dispute and finally to arbitration based on the standard listed above for overall economic improvement.
  • The arbitration panel will include two Flight Attendants (one AFA, one APFA) to ensure our perspective is injected throughout any process for an arbitration decision.
  • APFA will become the representative of all Flight Attendants at the New American.
  • At the transition point, the AFA Local Council Presidents will fill interim positions within the APFA structure.
  • The AFA representation structure will be maintained until APFA becomes the certified representative, and contract enforcement will continue as it does today.
  • AFA will administer the US Airways contract (and continued implementation) and any related grievances until the effective date of the new JCBA and for a period after, including the resolution of all outstanding grievances.

I needed some great news today! My flight home on Eagle returned to the airport because the gear wouldn't retract and I had to drive 3 hours to another airport-- also the wheel on my brand new Travelpro was broken off by a baggage handler. :-/

So it sounds like the appointed AFA officials have a chance at APFA officer positions, at least on an interim basis. I find it surprising they are willing to walk away from the dues so easily. Have they finally come to the realization APFA would handily prevail in an election?

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
I seriously doubt that Parker is going to agree to an "industry-leading contract" for the flight attendants until about 2018 or so, but I've been wrong before.

• This agreement is contingent on two items:
    1. AFA and APFA reaching agreement with the company on a process to achieve a contract that improves upon the AFA-US Airways Agreement and the APFA Agreement as modified by the CLA, collectively and separately, and
    2. US Airways Flight Attendant ratification of the bargaining process and representation.
  • Both the AFA/US Airways Agreement and the APFA Agreement as amended by the CLA will be used to achieve a single contract.
  • The economic standard for negotiations and arbitration would provide the means to achieve an industry-leading contract through improvements over both contracts, collectively and separately.

That's the part where I'm skeptical.  

"system flush" sounds like a sick, sadistic union practice found only in airline practice, phased out everywhere else in the sane world.