APFA Special Hotline: August 19, 2013

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
CALL TO ACTION. IT IS TIME TO MOBILIZE AND FIGHT BACK!

The Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to block the merger with US Airways. As you know, there were six states’ Attorneys General who joined the DOJ lawsuit: Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Virginia, and Tennessee. In addition, the District of Columbia also joined.

Many of you have been requesting what you can do to help in our fight.

For our first call to action we are asking that every Flight Attendant please contact the above Attorneys General immediately and include the following points:
Dear Attorney General:

1. I am contacting you to reconsider your opposition to the proposed merger between US Airways and American Airlines. As a Professional Flight Attendant since (insert year you started flying), I know what the merger means to me and to the thousands of other American Airlines employees. Never before have the employees and management worked so hard and well together all in an effort to save these two great companies. A merger is good for employees and it is good for U.S. consumers.

2. The merger will provide job security for tens of thousands of workers across the country. Neither of these companies can adequately compete with Delta and United and failure of one or both would result in the decimation of jobs, less competition, higher airfares, and fewer options for the flying public.

3. I hope you will reconsider your participation in this ill-advised lawsuit and instead support a stronger, more profitable, and consumer-friendly merged air carrier.

Please join us in supporting the merger between American Airlines and US Airways; it is what's best for our country.

Texas, Greg Abbot: [email protected]
Virginia, Ken Cuccinelli, II: [email protected]
Florida, Pam Bondi: 850 410 1630 (fax)
Tennessee, Robert E. Cooper: [email protected]
Arizona, Tom Horne: [email protected]
Pennsylvania, Kathleen Kane: [email protected]

Please copy in the editors for the newspapers in your area. Letters should include your full name, address and daytime phone numbers for verification purposes only.

NY Times: [email protected]
NY Post: [email protected]
NY Daily News: [email protected]
WSJ: [email protected]
Washington Post: [email protected]
USA Today: [email protected]
Chicago Tribune: [email protected]
Boston Globe: [email protected]
Dallas Morning News: [email protected]
Fort Worth Star Telegram: [email protected]
Miami Herald: [email protected]m
San Francisco Chronicle: [email protected]
Raleigh Durham : [email protected]
Philadelphia Inquirer:[email protected]
Pittsburgh Post Gazette: [email protected]

Stay tuned to this hotline for updates.
We have worked too hard to let this merger be derailed. Our futures depend on it.

APFA AND AFA TALKS CONTINUE
APFA Board of Directors will be meeting with the AFA on Wednesday August 21st in Washington, D.C. This meeting has been scheduled in regards to our continued efforts to reach a consensual representation agreement as a merged carrier. Despite the recent filing by the DOJ all parties believe we will prevail in becoming a merged carrier and are continuing our efforts to work with AFA towards an agreement.

AmericanAirlines + US Airways
"On Our Way"

progress.gif

CALL TO ACTION. IT IS TIME TO MOBILIZE AND FIGHT BACK!

The Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to block the merger with US Airways. As you know, there were six states’ Attorneys General who joined the DOJ lawsuit: Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Virginia, and Tennessee. In addition, the District of Columbia also joined.

Many of you have been requesting what you can do to help in our fight.

For our first call to action we are asking that every Flight Attendant please contact the above Attorneys General immediately and include the following points:
Dear Attorney General:

1. I am contacting you to reconsider your opposition to the proposed merger between US Airways and American Airlines. As a Professional Flight Attendant since (insert year you started flying), I know what the merger means to me and to the thousands of other American Airlines employees. Never before have the employees and management worked so hard and well together all in an effort to save these two great companies. A merger is good for employees and it is good for U.S. consumers.

2. The merger will provide job security for tens of thousands of workers across the country. Neither of these companies can adequately compete with Delta and United and failure of one or both would result in the decimation of jobs, less competition, higher airfares, and fewer options for the flying public.

3. I hope you will reconsider your participation in this ill-advised lawsuit and instead support a stronger, more profitable, and consumer-friendly merged air carrier.

Please join us in supporting the merger between American Airlines and US Airways; it is what's best for our country.

Texas, Greg Abbot: [email protected]
Virginia, Ken Cuccinelli, II: [email protected]
Florida, Pam Bondi: 850 410 1630 (fax)
Tennessee, Robert E. Cooper: [email protected]
Arizona, Tom Horne: [email protected]
Pennsylvania, Kathleen Kane: [email protected]

Please copy in the editors for the newspapers in your area. Letters should include your full name, address and daytime phone numbers for verification purposes only.

NY Times: [email protected]
NY Post: [email protected]
NY Daily News: [email protected]
WSJ: [email protected]
Washington Post: [email protected]
USA Today: [email protected]
Chicago Tribune: [email protected]
Boston Globe: [email protected]
Dallas Morning News: [email protected]
Fort Worth Star Telegram: [email protected]
Miami Herald: [email protected]m
San Francisco Chronicle: [email protected]
Raleigh Durham : [email protected]
Philadelphia Inquirer:[email protected]
Pittsburgh Post Gazette: [email protected]

Stay tuned to this hotline for updates.
We have worked too hard to let this merger be derailed. Our futures depend on it.

APFA AND AFA TALKS CONTINUE
APFA Board of Directors will be meeting with the AFA on Wednesday August 21st in Washington, D.C. This meeting has been scheduled in regards to our continued efforts to reach a consensual representation agreement as a merged carrier. Despite the recent filing by the DOJ all parties believe we will prevail in becoming a merged carrier and are continuing our efforts to work with AFA towards an agreement.

AmericanAirlines + US Airways
"On Our Way"

progress.gif

Since you wrote everything for everybody to say, except for dates of hire etc..., why don't you just do a petition and have everyone sign off on it? Sorry but if I felt as you have written I would have written my very own letter to send, not something drummed up without my own words and then sign off on it. Why are you guys pushing so hard for this merger when US is making record profits on their own? I would be more apt to signing a petition rather than signing off on something I never wrote. Just saying how this looks from an outsider, AND how it will look to he parties you are trying to reach...

Reactions: 1 person
swamt i agree with you bro i dont support a merger contracts now not later this goes to show that the drunken donkeys runnin us airways simply are too focused on the merger and the court fights not their own employees.. screw them i aint gonna give one ounce of support til we get contracts first plain n simple i will not sign any petition to fight for this give me a petition to get new contracts now and ill sign that

Note to swamt: One of the main reasons that LCC is making record profits is because their employees make substantially less than other airline employees--just for instance, look at what a 737 pilot at LCC makes compared to a 737 pilot at any other major airline--including WN. It's about half. And, we all know that the cost of the driver is one of the main issues in calculating profits.

When they were trumpeting LCC profits at the time this merger was just being talked about, several members on here tried to get people to look at the promises Doug Parker made to the AA unions, and to the LCC employees, then look at his vaunted profits if the AA pay rates were applied to those same financials. LCC would have been announcing losses not profits. DP has promised to pull the LCC employees up to AA pay rates. Where is the money going to come from? Unless, he can reduce capacity and jack up ticket prices substantially--the very things that have gotten the merger into hot water with the Feds.

jim...if dp wants this merger bad and he sure does.. think about this he already kept us employees wages down whose to say he will keep doing that for the next say 2 yrs and get the merger done then make up excuses to delay paying the amr people the deal he made with them while keeping us employees at bay co/ua have 2 seperate pays some 2 yrs after their merger and their no closer to resolving it... the same can be said here too i believe but also i could see us keeping the advantage fares for 2 yrs or so to help get the merger thru if the pilots n f/as want to support the merger fight fine but as far as im concerned contracts first

Without the merger Doug Parker will not have the money to pay employees industry standard contracts because of the company's structural shortcomings in comparison to Delta and United. US Airways' route network does not provide enough revenue and the company requires a cost advantage to compete, which is labor costs.

For those who try to extort pay increases for merger support they will be disappointed. The only way to get to industry standard/leading contracts is for the merger to proceed. Why? The combined business enterprise will have the network and revenue generation capability to cover higher costs with adequate margins.

If the proposed merger does not proceed I believe US Airways' employees can expect to have their current type of employment contracts remain in place.

USA320Pilot