April FA Attrition

kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
Attrition remains disappointingly low at 46 for April. It breaks down as follows: Two were offered ground jobs, nine were terminated, twenty retired, and fifteen resigned. In addition, 23 more TWA FA's elected to retire from furlough status. 3004 TWAers remain on the recall list, with 3949 total counting the AA people.

MK

As posted on another thread, I think the attrition rate--especially among the most junior f/as--will go up this summer as they find out they can't afford to do the job on straight reserve. (Yeah, I know we call it 2000-series Availability, but putting lipstick on the pig doesn't make it any more attractive, or any less a pig.)

Also, by the end of this year, there will be over 3000 f/as with 30 or more years. At some point it will sink in that staying will REDUCE the amount of their monthly pension because the reduced pay rates of the RPA will have to be included in the calculation. (I keep hearing from other bases--such as LAX and DFW--that senior people are burning sick leave like crazy. In preparation for retirement?)

One other point...
May and June were the highest attrition months for 2005. Let's see what happens this month and next.

jimintx,

It would be nice to see a post from you without the...

Do you need cheese with that WHINE?

As of February 2006, we had something like 2,600 or so f/a's who were able to retire. These f/a's hve or are finishing their best 4/10 years. Once done they should retire.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='377466' date='May 3 2006, 06:09 PM']As of February 2006, we had something like 2,600 or so f/a's who were able to retire. These f/a's hve or are finishing their best 4/10 years. Once done they should retire.[/quote]

That's the critical part of the puzzle in most workgroups...

Intuitively, I'd expect most FA's had their best 4/10 between 1997 and 2001, even though the pay cuts didn't kick in until 2003. Sure, there was a contract increase in 2001, but I don't know that it was enough to offset the reduced schedule after 9/11 and during 2002. Remember that AA wasn't back at a full schedule until some point in 3Q02, and the pay cuts took effect at the beginning of 2Q03.

So, starting in 2007, it's likely that a mass exodus will begin, followed in 2008 in management/agent/support staff, who have a best 3/10 in their pensions.

You are all dreaming. Remember when the buzz was that they were waiting for the 777 payout to retire? Didn't happen did it? It isn't going to happen now either. I hate to be pessimistic, but most of these women have no life beyond work. MOst have spent their money quicker than they have earned it. They now have enough seniority to work 8 days per month if they choose to and receive full pay. Tell me, why quit?

Whoever started or beleived the 777 rumor was CRAZY. They had ZERO idea what they were talking about. We have 2 types of 777 interiors. The payout was for the type that went primarily to LHR and LGW. NOT to NRT. So, people in IOR JFK BOS that saw any money were JUNIOR. RDU got A LOT and I am sure some in IDF got a chunk from LGW. Either way, it wasn't any sort of windfall. Plus don't forget, that some of the award money went to "pay" for the 3 months of underfly after the RPA.

You are all dreaming. Remember when the buzz was that they were waiting for the 777 payout to retire? Didn't happen did it? It isn't going to happen now either.
Actually, there was a "spike" with attrition at 78 for Oct 04, 105 for Nov (the first full month after the payout) then back to 73 for Dec. I agree, though. There will be no mass resignations over work rule changes.

MK

Here's the April stats posted to the Flight Service website today...

April Attrition
26 Domestic
20 International

Of these 15 were retirees.
Average seniority of those leaving: 20 years
Average seniority of retirees: 31 years

The retiree seniority may be a little misleading because only 13 of the retirees allowed their names to be posted on the website, and of those 13, 1 had only 10 years and another had 17 years. The other 11 had 31 years or more (one was 40 years).

Hey folks,

Off topic, but I thought a good place to ask...because of the individuals on this thread.

We keep hearing that AA will not recall until the TW FA's recall rights have expired.

Supposed to have something to do with it costing gobs of money and retirement, ans so on...

What is there about retirement, or whatever it is, tht is fueling these stories...?

Thanks

Chris

Hey folks,

Off topic, but I thought a good place to ask...because of the individuals on this thread.

We keep hearing that AA will not recall until the TW FA's recall rights have expired.

Supposed to have something to do with it costing gobs of money and retirement, ans so on...

What is there about retirement, or whatever it is, tht is fueling these stories...?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

It's a standing argument on this board.

My theory is that they will try not to recall any of the furloughs and that we will begin hiring like crazy once the recalls have expired. Time will tell.

Others argue that it doesn't cost that much more to have the TWA people back on the line.

Chris,

It's a standing argument on this board.

My theory is that they will try not to recall any of the furloughs and that we will begin hiring like crazy once the recalls have expired. Time will tell.

Others argue that it doesn't cost that much more to have the TWA people back on the line.

It isn't about retirement...While we are vested, we only get credit for the time on AA's property. In my case, one year. Dollar per hour may factor because AA doesn't want to pay top dollar for anyone much less those of us acquired in the "deal'. Why pay top dollar when they have only to wait for the APFA to keep signing LOAs that "help" with staffing shortages until the furloughees lose their recall rights. Maybe the APFA will agree to a "C" scale and AA will have everything they want and they will not have had to give away a single thing.

Latest posts