September Fa Attrition

kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
FA attrition for the month of September totalled 73 for a total of 678 for 2005. In addition, 15 TWA FA's retired from furlough status. There are 4111 remaining on the recall list. It breaks down as follows:

99 Natives hired before TWA acquisition
3085 TWA FA's
853 Natives hired after acquisition, and therefore junior to most TWA FA's
74 TWA FA's who came on line after acquisition, and were given seniority dates of 12/17/01

MK

kirkpatrick said:
FA attrition for the month of September totalled 73 for a total of 678 for 2005. In addition, 15 TWA FA's retired from furlough status. There are 4111 remaining on the recall list. It breaks down as follows:

3085 TWA FA's
74 TWA FA's who came on line after acquisition, and were given seniority dates of 12/17/01

MK
[post="311117"][/post]​

If you retire from furlough status, do you receive some sort of retirement compensation? What is the average seniority of the TWA flight attendants on furlough? Wouldn't it behoove those who can retire to do so (TWA), since chances are most likely they will not be called back? I know this is a touchy subject, but I really think that is the company's thoughts. (Not that I really think for the comapany).

AAStew said:
If you retire from furlough status, do you receive some sort of retirement compensation? What is the average seniority of the TWA flight attendants on furlough? Wouldn't it behoove those who can retire to do so (TWA), since chances are most likely they will not be called back? I know this is a touchy subject, but I really think that is the company's thoughts. (Not that I really think for the comapany).
[post="311120"][/post]​

How long do FAs retain recall rights?

If its 10 years like the TWU then if they(the ex-TWA FAs) are young enough they would likely be recalled. I would say that in five years the airlines will be complaining that they cant get workers and will try to use that as an excuse to relax standards.

The current rate is 75 per month so in 4.5 years 4100 FAs will leave. So unless they are 60 years old now and near the bottom of the list why retire? THey could come back for a few years and at least get a pension. More than likely the rate of attrition will increase over time as the concessions take their toll. The 1.5% increases over the next few years are in fact continuing pay cuts due to the rate of inflation. With the TWU you can expect to see a surge of retirements before 2013 because after that, if the pension is still in place, we would lose money by staying.

Bob Owens said:

We have 5 years recall rights at AA, (for me that is two years left starting Nov. 1st). At TWA we had 7 years. I can't speak for most airlines but I do know that USAirways f/a's have unlimited recall rights...and unlimited travel benifits.

TWskyliner said:
Bob Owens said:

We have 5 years recall rights at AA, (for me that is two years left starting Nov. 1st). At TWA we had 7 years. I can't speak for most airlines but I do know that USAirways f/a's have unlimited recall rights...and unlimited travel benifits.
[post="311141"][/post]​

After being with TWA and AA since 1-14-1970, I retired on 4-1. I thought the date was appropriate. I get passes, some insurance(it is secondary as I work full time) and $99 a month -taxes. There was the mistaken thought that "we" were going to get "their" retirement. We recieve credit for one year...period. Many of us wished to work for a few more years to suppliment our frozen and then PBGC monies..(mine being $455 a month) I saw that the writing was not on that wall (AA's loss) and decided not to take up a potential recall spot. More info than you probably wanted..lol

AAStew said:
If you retire from furlough status, do you receive some sort of retirement compensation?
We get passes and insurance like any other AA employee, but the monthly check is very small due to the fact that we haven't been there long enough to accrue much credit.
What is the average seniority of the TWA flight attendants on furlough?
That's hard to say, since AA doesn't choose to break us down demographically. We still have people hired in the late fifties and some who didn't come on line until after the acquisition. At the time of acquisition we had about 4200 FA's, about 700 of whom had less than three years' seniority. I started in 1972 and am currently about #560 of the 3159 TWA FA's still on the recall list.
Wouldn't it behoove those who can retire to do so (TWA), since chances are most likely they will not be called back?
I'm not quite that pessimistic. It's starting to look like fall recalls might be unlikely, but barring another 9/11 type incident or some unforeseen drastic cutback, I think many of us will be back next spring. Attrition is running 900-1000 per year, and that can't go on forever without staffing getting critical.

kirkpatrick said:
3085 TWA FA's

MK
[post="311117"][/post]​

Yes and 3085 TWA FA's after the 99 natives. Therefore junior to ALL 99 AA natives! ;)

I guess my question should have been, if you don't retire while on furlough, will you lose any retirement benefits that you may have with AA if you do not get recalled?

AAStew said:
I guess my question should have been, if you don't retire while on furlough, will you lose any retirement benefits that you may have with AA if you do not get recalled?
[post="311998"][/post]​
I don't think it's ever happened that recall rights actually ran out at AA, but I'm sure anyone of retirement age (55) whose rights ran out could retire and have passes and insurance, plus whatever monthly annuity they had earned up until that time.

MK

AAStew said:
[post="311998"][/post]​

If you are vested--5 or more years of credited service--in a Defined Benefit Pension Plan, under Federal law, you are eligible for a pension from that plan when you reach retirement age. It doesn't matter under what circumstances you left the company (actually there might be certain "fired for cause" reasons that might nullify your rights, but I don't know for sure).

I resigned from Texaco in 1995. And, even though Texaco has been bought by Chevron, I still get a pension from the plan I was under.

TWskyliner said:
I predict a recall soon...but of only 99.
[post="311135"][/post]​

Now, don't be paranoid. :lol: Actually, Laurie Curtis suggested that a major recall had been cancelled or postponed because of jet fuel prices. In one of her latest hotlines, she made mention that "we had hoped to recall more flight attendants late this year or early next year."

Two months ago, I would have put cash money down on a recall bet--on the pro side. Aug. 17th was my nine month anniversary of being back on the line. They just happened to publish new seniority numbers that day. In nine months, my seniority number dropped by 800 exactly. (And, that's only people senior to me. I understand that several of the people junior to me in the last recall have left already.) That's almost 100 fa/month on average.

Without cutting flights there is no way they can sustain that attrition rate and not recall flight attendants. If jet fuel prices don't come down, I don't see that the company has any choice other than to start putting planes on the ground and keeping them there. Just for self-preservation, they will have to continue reducing frequency on heavily-served routes--such as the hub to hub flying--and eliminating marginal flights entirely. In fact, if jet fuel prices don't come down, it is not outside the realm of possibility that I would be furloughed again.

It is most curious that here it is 29OCT and the September attrition has still not been posted to the Flight Service website. I sent an email to Lauri Curtis this morning asking if there was a reason for it.

Oh, I know that. But, I still like to see the break out and the list of people who retired. I flew with some really great senior people when I was based at DFW, and I'm always curious if some of them have retired.

By the way, I got a response from Lauri Curtis tonight! She said she didn't know why the numbers had not been posted and would get the numbers for Peggy Hurlbert to give to me. As if Peggy didn't have enough to do. :lol:

Latest posts