May FA Attrition

kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
May attrition improved a bit at 58. In addition 22 more TWA FA's retired from furlough status. Total attrition for year stands at 240 and 120 TWA people have retired. 3922 remain on the furlough list, of which 2982 are TWA.

MK

I ran into a friend of mine recently who is a very senior f/a at DFWD. I made a joke to her about not living long enough to transfer back to DFW. I'm over #200 on the list in seniority order.

She responded to not be too sure about that. She thinks there are going to be a lot of retirements before the end of the year. From her lips to God's ears.

I ran into a friend of mine recently who is a very senior f/a at DFWD. I made a joke to her about not living long enough to transfer back to DFW. I'm over #200 on the list in seniority order.

She responded to not be too sure about that. She thinks there are going to be a lot of retirements before the end of the year. From her lips to God's ears.

Jim, every wide body IDF trip I fly on AVBL, there's usually anywhere from 2-3 f/a's on board who are retiring before the year is up...most before the summer is up. On my last NRT trip, there were 3 leaving..one at the end of June..another in August..and the last was leaving the end of October. Every one of them was 38+ years seniority and closing in on 60 years of age.

Many of them say that they want to be gone before 2007 and definitely before next contract talks in 2008, I believe.

These f/a's have been saying that they will retire for years...they continue to feed that same information to you as long as you are willing to hear it...The NUMBERS themsleves tell the story...Unless they are DEAD on the junpseat they will never retire, and Why should they? When SENIORITY rules in this industry...it doesn't even matter if you can fit out a window exit..You are SENIOR and what you say is the Gospel! These ladies don't need the retirement pay, because they have their cats and their friends on the line...Also, as long as they can go to BA and get tbe plastic surgery they need why call it a day at AA? God knows the APFA doesn't care,,,just look at the President...she has had more surgey over her past 35 years at AA then then Liz Taylor...The only difference is LIZ can afford the surgery without ripping off her fellow followers...Hmmmmmm....Wandering minds want to know what's Really going on with Union dues? We will find out soon enough. Stay Tuned felllow AA'ers!....The truth is yet to come!...

What Unity?

These f/a's have been saying that they will retire for years...they continue to feed that same information to you as long as you are willing to hear it...The NUMBERS themsleves tell the story...Unless they are DEAD on the junpseat they will never retire, and Why should they? When SENIORITY rules in this industry...it doesn't even matter if you can fit out a window exit..You are SENIOR and what you say is the Gospel! These ladies don't need the retirement pay, because they have their cats and their friends on the line...Also, as long as they can go to BA and get tbe plastic surgery they need why call it a day at AA? God knows the APFA doesn't care,,,just look at the President...she has had more surgey over her past 35 years at AA then then Liz Taylor...The only difference is LIZ can afford the surgery without ripping off her fellow followers...Hmmmmmm....Wandering minds want to know what's Really going on with Union dues? We will find out soon enough. Stay Tuned felllow AA'ers!....The truth is yet to come!...

What Unity?
OMG...this is so funny! Yet so true! Why quit when you can die on your jumpseat in a pickled face? :p

Did any of you hear about the ad that Sir Richard B. is running in the UK?

It goes something like...

"If you want your grandmother to fly the Atlantic, fly Virgin Atlantic. If you want to SEE your grandmother fly the Atlantic, fly American."

Did any of you hear about the ad that Sir Richard B. is running in the UK?

It goes something like...

"If you want your grandmother to fly the Atlantic, fly Virgin Atlantic. If you want to SEE your grandmother fly the Atlantic, fly American."

I think Qantas did something like that a few years back about the US/OZ flights..... too funny.

I think Qantas did something like that a few years back about the US/OZ flights..... too funny.

Also, too - too true..... trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific.

They can be best, or sometimes, the very worst!

They finally posted the breakdown on the May attrition...

36 Domestic
22 International
58 Total

Average seniority of those leaving 18 years.

Of the 58, 24 were retirees. All others, quit, died, or got fired.

Oh, by the way, I found out that the retirees have the choice to allow their names to be posted to the retiree list or not; so, the average seniority of retirees that I had been posting each month may be higher or lower depending on the seniority of those who chose not to have their names and seniority appear.

For the month of May, 23 retirees allowed their names to be listed. The average seniority of the 23 is 32.61 years. Four of the retirees had less than 20 years. If you remove those four from the list, the average seniority for the remaining 19 is 36.16 years--a substantial jump for that small a sample.

In any case, for the average seniority of retirees who are almost half the attrition to be over 32 years and the average seniority for the total attrition to be only 18 years indicates that there are quite a few fairly junior people leaving (or being made available to the wider job market :lol: ).

and the average seniority for the total attrition to be only 18 years indicates that there are quite a few fairly junior people leaving (or being made available to the wider job market :lol: ).

Maybe they are going for more airline punishment, with more chance for movement, and they are going to fly for United who is/are hiring like crazy.

Another FYI...

The 2006 Seniority List has been published. My seniority number has dropped over 900 since June of last year.

Semi-interesting trivia...
My seniority on my current HI1 (which incidentally has not changed yet) based on the last quarterly shuffle is 18,207. As of this year's annual reshuffle, the most junior Active f/a is 18,208.

At the time that AA bought TWA there was a total of 27,000+ flight attendants between the two carriers. The most junior f/a on the list today is 22,129. That means we have averaged losing approx. 1000 per year for the last 5 years.

The first groups of furloughed f/as will lose their recall rights on 10/1 and 10/7 this year. A total of 1165 f/as will drop from the seniority list on those 2 days. This will be all f/as who came on the payroll of both AA and TWA after 4/10/2001 plus the 250 most junior f/as with a 4/10/2001 seniority date. A number of these were Chinese speakers who were hired for the planned creation and expansion of the China service.

Latest posts

Back