ARPEY Owns it

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Arpey supposedly owned up, and accepted full responsibility for letting the airline get where it was, and apologized to all passengers during a conference this afternoon.

"We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused our customers," Chief Executive Gerard Arpey said in a statement. "American will do whatever it takes to assist those affected by these flight changes, and our employees are working hard to ensure that we remain their choice for air travel."

He also accepted "full responsibility" for failing to meet FAA inspection standards.

"I am profoundly sorry for having gotten into this situation," Arpey told reporters Thursday afternoon, referring to the Federal Aviation Administration order that MD-80 jets be grounded for inspections at American and other airlines.

Now that he has made this public admission it's all the board of directors needs to kick his ass to the curb!

If you said it was time to clean house in TUL, I'd probably agree with you. Some of the good ol' boys clearly need to go.

But what does getting rid of Arpey accomplish, Wing?... Will it buy peace with the unions? Nope. Will it make the stock price jump back up into the 20's? Hardly.

Promoting Dan Garton or Tom Horton to the CEO chair isn't going to fix things, and shopping for a CEO outside the industry will only make the current executive team's compensation look like lunch money...

At least Gerard was said to be out at the hangar last night after getting back to DFW.

That's more than I can say for Bob Reding --- where exactly has he been in all this?????

If you said it was time to clean house in TUL, I'd probably agree with you. Some of the good ol' boys clearly need to go.

But what does getting rid of Arpey accomplish, Wing?... Will it buy peace with the unions? Nope. Will it make the stock price jump back up into the 20's? Hardly.

Promoting Dan Garton or Tom Horton to the CEO chair isn't going to fix things, and shopping for a CEO outside the industry will only make the current executive team's compensation look like lunch money...

At least Gerard was said to be out at the hangar last night after getting back to DFW.

That's more than I can say for Bob Reding --- where exactly has he been in all this?????

Where has Bob Reding been in all of this? I would hope not on vacation.

Credit when credit is due. Its rare that you see a CEO accept responsibilty.

Now I wonder,whats really going on here?

From what I understand, Redding has been on conference calls with the stations at ALL hours of the day.

Getting rid of "AA"pey is getting rid of the C"AA"rty era that actually got us into this mess.....Hmmmm...What does this sound like? The current presidential election perhaps? Time to clean house, recognize the customer, value the employee, and succeed as a comp"AA"ny....No bonuses without "EQUALITY" amoung all ranks! Take your time AMT's and inspect well...Remember? Your rank and file get their bonus checks next week! :).

Credit when credit is due. Its rare that you see a CEO accept responsibilty.

Now I wonder,whats really going on here?

He took responsibility for the pilots becoming uncooperative during the quest for a China route also.

Doesn't sound right.

Arpey took credit for this current fiasco because he is the CEO. Was it his fault exactly? No, it was the FAA's for blowing things out of proportion to make themselves look like they are not alseep at the wheel. The FAA grounds AA's entire fleet of MD80 because of spacing of wax tie-cord?

Why didn't the FAA ground all 737s when years ago they had a tendency to fly into the ground due to a rudder issue?

Why didn't the FAA ground NWA's fleet of aircraft that had wheels fall off when NWA AMTs were on strike and SCABS attempted to play in the big leagues?

Arpey did what he had to do... take the blame. I give him points for that. Now, will he make changes within M&E? Time will tell.

Arpey took credit for this current fiasco because he is the CEO. Was it his fault exactly? No, it was the FAA's for blowing things out of proportion to make themselves look like they are not alseep at the wheel. The FAA grounds AA's entire fleet of MD80 because of spacing of wax tie-cord?

Why didn't the FAA ground all 737s when years ago they had a tendency to fly into the ground due to a rudder issue?

Why didn't the FAA ground NWA's fleet of aircraft that had wheels fall off when NWA AMTs were on strike and SCABS attempted to play in the big leagues?

Arpey did what he had to do... take the blame. I give him points for that. Now, will he make changes within M&E? Time will tell.

Ken:

I've been telling/writing everyone that would listen for the last week what the feds were doing and why.

With your contacts hither and yon due to your organization, spread it some more, please. Arpey and Garton haven't the 'nads to tell the truth to the public.

The biggest reason for not putting the blame squarely on the FAA, is to keep them from lining AA up in the cross hairs in case of a real violation. It is better for AA to take a beating publicly on this, to avoid retaliation down the road.

Latest posts