NEW aircraft decision soon

When was the last flight of the 727 for AA?

Can't remember the exact date, but it was in the first half of 2002. 9/11 accelerated the 727's retirement. AA had originally planned keep some around (for MIA-Caribbean services) until '04 (like NW and DL did).
The original 'stub' 727-123 was retired in 1992, IIRC...

April 30, 2002.

Thanks for the exact date...my guess was in the ballpark!

To update the mainline narrowbody fleet, AA has choices of..."slim, to none", meaning it's either(mostly) 737-800(900/and some "next generation"), or Airbii(NOT)!

Now speaking of the above mentioned A/C, which models are available..TODAY, if(hypothetically speaking), AA wanted to buy Today ??

NH/BB's

Can't remember the exact date, but it was in the first half of 2002. 9/11 accelerated the 727's retirement. AA had originally planned keep some around (for MIA-Caribbean services) until '04 (like NW and DL did).
The original 'stub' 727-123 was retired in 1992, IIRC...
Thanks for the exact date...my guess was in the ballpark!
WoW, I didn't realize it was that long already. I was thinking mid-2005, but now I know it wasn't. :rolleyes:

There are other options for fleet replacement than waiting for new deliveries... Short term leasing of some 737-300's might be a realistic option. Are type ratings for the 737 model specific?

There are other options for fleet replacement than waiting for new deliveries... Short term leasing of some 737-300's might be a realistic option. Are type ratings for the 737 model specific?

Don't you mean 737-800?

I believe Southwest Pilots have to be given differences training to have type rating for both -300/400/500 and the -700. Would be the same for AA. The -600/-700/-800/-900 all have the same type rating and would not require much in the way of additional training.

The big issue with taking on the older 737's is that the -300/400/500 are not that much more fuel efficient than the S80's which means that you are not really saving any money. Considering most of the S80's are paid for.

To update the mainline narrowbody fleet, AA has choices of..."slim, to none", meaning it's either(mostly) 737-800(900/and some "next generation"), or Airbii(NOT)!

Now speaking of the above mentioned A/C, which models are available..TODAY, if(hypothetically speaking), AA wanted to buy Today ??

NH/BB's

NHBBs: AA can get brand spankin' new 737-800s beginning about 15 months after it gives Boeing the word. That may seem like a long time, but really, it's pretty fast in the new airplane world.

As others have said, I'm assuming that AA starts taking two or three per month as soon as Boeing can deliver them, and AA will push Boeing to develop the NGSA (all-carbon fibre composite like the 787); once it is available, AA will convert 738 orders to that new airplane. Sometime around 2011 or 2012, once AA has finally grounded the last MD-80 and has received a bunch of 738s, Boeing will help AA find new homes for the all-aluminum 738s and will build a bunch of the new NGSA to replace them.

The big issue with taking on the older 737's is that the -300/400/500 are not that much more fuel efficient than the S80's which means that you are not really saving any money. Considering most of the S80's are paid for.

Then there's the issue of how many you would need and where you would get them. since they are no longer in production. More than likley you would have to get them from multiple sources. Which means different effectivities in regards to certain equipment/parts. Then there's the multitude of differences between the 737-800 AA currently has and the classic 737. Differnet engines, APU, avionics etc. While the cockpit looks preety much the same you cannot swap MCP's or any of the overhead panels between the NG and classic.

Don't you mean 737-800?

No, I really did mean the -300. Yes, it's older, but they're available for lease at rates far less than the 800's are, and it's possible to single-source 25 or so of them given the fact that you have carriers like US and HP phasing them out in favor of Airbii fleets.

Getting some -300's would mean more 737 type-rated pilots out on the line, and that in turn would then allow them to take more than two aircraft a month once they get delivery positions from Boeing.

Then there's the issue of how many you would need and where you would get them. since they are no longer in production. More than likley you would have to get them from multiple sources. Which means different effectivities in regards to certain equipment/parts. Then there's the multitude of differences between the 737-800 AA currently has and the classic 737. Differnet engines, APU, avionics etc. While the cockpit looks preety much the same you cannot swap MCP's or any of the overhead panels between the NG and classic.
Whatever became of the -300's that AA had before?

AA 737-300

No, I really did mean the -300. Yes, it's older, but they're available for lease at rates far less than the 800's are, and it's possible to single-source 25 or so of them given the fact that you have carriers like US and HP phasing them out in favor of Airbii fleets.

Getting some -300's would mean more 737 type-rated pilots out on the line, and that in turn would then allow them to take more than two aircraft a month once they get delivery positions from Boeing.

While pilot training is not going to be that big an issue maintaining them will be. Like I mentioned in my previous post there is little in common with the classic and NG 737's. So it's not like AA will be able to use it's existing supply of 737 parts. With US/HP slowly removing 737's from it's fleet does not mean they will be the same. There will be differences between the HP and US aircraft. Do we know if the HP ot US 737's are all standard like the AA MD-80's are?

I see what you are saying but IMO it's not worth the added expense.

NHBBs: AA can get brand spankin' new 737-800s beginning about 15 months after it gives Boeing the word. That may seem like a long time, but really, it's pretty fast in the new airplane world.

As others have said, I'm assuming that AA starts taking two or three per month as soon as Boeing can deliver them, and AA will push Boeing to develop the NGSA (all-carbon fibre composite like the 787); once it is available, AA will convert 738 orders to that new airplane. Sometime around 2011 or 2012, once AA has finally grounded the last MD-80 and has received a bunch of 738s, Boeing will help AA find new homes for the all-aluminum 738s and will build a bunch of the new NGSA to replace them.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

FWAAA,
I think your "prognostication", about new A/C is in the HIGH 90 percentile !!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

I believe they went to SWA ironically enough, don't know if they are still there or not.

Correct, and they are still there. WN operates nine 737-3A4s. "A4" was Boeing's customer code for AirCal. The reg's are: N669/676SW, and N673/674/675/677/678/679/680AA. Don't know why Herb never bothered to change the suffix to "SW" or "WN" on most of them.

Latest posts