NEW aircraft decision soon

I really don't see dangling aircraft orders over our heads being able to work in their favor.

That's pretty-much my point. Someone mentioned AMR shrinking the airline if APA wants their pay "jacked" back up to pre-concession rates. I don't care what Horton or Arpey say, I want my freakin' money back!!! Gerard and the boys have had their wages restored, then given raises, and are about to share in 200 million of our dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get paid the same whether I fly a brand new 737 or a 25-year-old MD-80. I don't give a rip about an aircraft order. If they expect me to pay for the new planes with my concessions, then act like I should be happy at the opportunity to fly 'em, they can go pound sand.

TWU represented AMT's get paid the same whether they are working on a twenty year old MD-80 or a brand new 737-800.
You can add to that, that many mechanics prefer the older planes, much more maintenance involved which means job security. Bring back the 727's and DC-10's for all I care, they would have to recall everyone and run the OT all the time.

Bottom line, they're not going to hold a plane order over mechanics heads becuase we'll stay with the older ones that need a lot of work. :up:

I realize that this may not be the case but did you guys ever think that the new aircraft are not being purchased to make stick jockeys and grease monkeys happy? Did it even cross your mind that the passengers, especially business passengers might be more inclined to travel on a newer fleet rather than an older one? Then there is the fuel efficiency which over a few decades could add up to a few dollars. Nahhhhhh. That could not be it, of course it is about making the stick jockeys and wrench monkey’s happy. What was I thinking?

Geez, the level of vanity is amazing.

That's pretty-much my point. Someone mentioned AMR shrinking the airline if APA wants their pay "jacked" back up to pre-concession rates. I don't care what Horton or Arpey say, I want my freakin' money back!!! Gerard and the boys have had their wages restored, then given raises, and are about to share in 200 million of our dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get paid the same whether I fly a brand new 737 or a 25-year-old MD-80. I don't give a rip about an aircraft order. If they expect me to pay for the new planes with my concessions, then act like I should be happy at the opportunity to fly 'em, they can go pound sand.

I thought the pay rates for the 737-800 were higher than the MD-80?

So is the level of stupidity and the lack of comprehension...

No one said that a purchase of aircraft was being made to satisfy pilots or mechanics (or phone wenches). What AMR has stated publicly in the past is that new aircraft orders are contingent upon financial goals being met in negotiations with unions. In other words, "you take a pay cut, and we'll buy new planes". To that I say: "PUP yours!"

Love,
A Stick Jockey

I thought the pay rates for the 737-800 were higher than the MD-80?

You're right. But for comparison purposes, they are only a couple of dollars an hour different.

I realize that this may not be the case but did you guys ever think that the new aircraft are not being purchased to make stick jockeys and grease monkeys happy?

Thank you for pointing out something I know already. I believe that was the basic theme of my post. In the sense that the company is not going to be holding something like that over our heads. By heads I mean us “grease monkeysâ€, can’t speak for the “stick jockeysâ€.

Did it even cross your mind that the passengers, especially business passengers might be more inclined to travel on a newer fleet rather than an older one?

Actually it has crossed my mind that if our competition is updating their fleet that we may have to do so as well. If you look at some of my posts I have pretty much alluded to that fact. However I also the company is not going to use new aircraft orders as a negotiating tool with the TWU. The company would look quite foolish trying to say “If you don’t take this contract we won’t order new planesâ€. Sort of cutting your nose off to spite your face if you ask me.

Then there is the fuel efficiency which over a few decades could add up to a few dollars. Nahhhhhh.

Once again thank you for pointing out something I already know. I realize that the money spent on more fuel efficent aircraft will eventually pay for them.

I realize that this may not be the case but did you guys ever think that the new aircraft are not being purchased to make stick jockeys and grease monkeys happy? Did it even cross your mind that the passengers, especially business passengers might be more inclined to travel on a newer fleet rather than an older one? Then there is the fuel efficiency which over a few decades could add up to a few dollars. Nahhhhhh. That could not be it, of course it is about making the stick jockeys and wrench monkey’s happy. What was I thinking?

Just curious...does it make your job in a cubicle seem more significant by disparaging pilots and mechanics?

You might want to look in the mirror to see vanity.

Just curious...does it make your job in a cubicle seem more significant by disparaging pilots and mechanics?

You might want to look in the mirror to see vanity.

I am fully aware of my meager value to the company and how easy it would be to replace me. That's why being called a "phone whench" does not offend me in the least. Others seem to place a much higher value on them selves than what the market justifies.

Could not have happened. Last AA 707 revenue service was in late summer 1981.
First AA MD-82 revenue service was in spring 1983.

I'm guessing that AA was parking one 707 as each 727-223 (not MD-80) was received during the late 1970s. Then, after the contract was completed, AA increased the orders for MD-80s.

I'm not sure how accurate the list below is but those few dollars will add up rather quickly.

Those numbers are pretty accurate, but if you look at the difference between 737 and MD-80 F/O pay, it's $3 per hour. Even if you are paid for the FAA maximum of 1000 hours per year, the difference after taxes and other incidentals in less than 2 thousand dollars per year.

Those numbers are pretty accurate, but if you look at the difference between 737 and MD-80 F/O pay, it's $3 per hour. Even if you are paid for the FAA maximum of 1000 hours per year, the difference after taxes and other incidentals in less than 2 thousand dollars per year.
For Dallas alone that is $702,000 annually for FO's only. 462 S80 FO's less 112 737 FO's.

I'm guessing that AA was parking one 707 as each 727-223 (not MD-80) was received during the late 1970s.

Correct. AA received factory-fresh 727-223s from Boeing through September 1981, which was the very month the last 707 was retired from scheduled service. They also bought 15 "clean, low-mileage, like-new" 727-227s from rapidly-imploding Braniff about that same time, 1980-81.

Correct. AA received factory-fresh 727-223s from Boeing through September 1981, which was the very month the last 707 was retired from scheduled service. They also bought 15 "clean, low-mileage, like-new" 727-227s from rapidly-imploding Braniff about that same time, 1980-81.
When was the last flight of the 727 for AA?