Article discussing the need to replace the MD-80s

They may be available, but I don't think the APA is going to let them on the property if Eagle is going to fly them, or if the company wants them operated at Eagle rates.

You're absolutely correct. AA is probably gonna demand that they fly as Eagle planes which might happen if AA throws the APA a big enough bone (like dangle a big 777/787 order in front of them, just like 10 years ago) plus a big enough pay raise for mainline rates.

Alternatively, AA will fly them as mainline if the APA agrees to trim the F-100 book rates sufficiently. That shouldn't be too big a job, given that Eagle's CRJ-700 rates are fairly high for a regional airline. Still, there's plenty of spread between those rates and the old F-100 rates.

Maybe if AA dangles a big enough new airplane order in front of them, the pilots will agree to fly them as mainline jets at just-over Eagle pay rates.

OK re-engining the MD80 is out of the question, what about getting some 737-700's? What ever they order, won't be online overnight.

OK re-engining the MD80 is out of the question, what about getting some 737-700's? What ever they order, won't be online overnight.

Nor does AA need them (or want them) online overnight. No need to have them here until the pilots agree, and although AA might agree to an earlier contract amendment if offered the right stuff, it's unlikely that the pilots will agree until late next year anyway.

737-800s, 737-700s - doesn't matter which. Neither is available earlier than the other.

The pilots are usually the first to cave. Dangle some new airplane orders under their noses, enhancing their career expectations, and they'll be salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

I'm not buying all those chest-thumping nonsense from APA.

The pilots are usually the first to cave. Dangle some new airplane orders under their noses, enhancing their career expectations, and they'll be salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

I'm not buying all those chest-thumping nonsense from APA.

How do replacement airplane orders enhance career expectations? They wouldn't be growth airplanes.

How do replacement airplane orders enhance career expectations? They wouldn't be growth airplanes.

Because most major airline orders have two key components: firm orders (which may or may not be replacement aircraft), and options (which are growth airplanes). Any major order from AA will, no doubt, have a replacement compoment, and a growth component.

I can hear you guys salivating already. :rolleyes:

Sure sounds like AA; wonder what's keeping them from specifying a set for the AB6?

Because it might rip the wings off?...

If there is a MD80 replacement, I wouldn't be looking for growth aircraft. AA has pretty much saturated the domestic market, and any future growth is going to be overseas and flown with 787's.