ATA into PIT - Announcement Monday

dfw79

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
ATA Airlines...that is still weird to say...will announce Monday new nonstop service from Chicago Midway to Pittsburgh 4 times per day using the 737-800s. Schedules are already loaded if interested. Now to see what the response will be.

ATA will make it work because of all their connection possibilities in MDW, AirTran had but one to ATL. This includes the mainline markets west of Chicago and the communities served by C8 in the midwest.

PIT is largely a connection point, so none of that through traffic is affected. As for the locals, they are so invested in Dividend Miles, it will be hard to switch them. To really get in another carrier''s shorts, you either come on top of them with a full operation (like AirTran at ATL), or slice them up in non hub cities, where they still have an enhanced presence (in the case of USAirways: LGA, BOS, TPA, DCA, RDU, to name a few). Going after them in a smaller hub city, on a single spoke, won''t do much.

----------------
On 3/30/2003 10:19:53 AM deelmakur wrote:

PIT is largely a connection point, so none of that through traffic is affected. As for the locals, they are so invested in Dividend Miles, it will be hard to switch them. To really get in another carrier''s shorts, you either come on top of them with a full operation (like AirTran at ATL), or slice them up in non hub cities, where they still have an enhanced presence (in the case of USAirways: LGA, BOS, TPA, DCA, RDU, to name a few). Going after them in a smaller hub city, on a single spoke, won''t do much.

----------------​

It''s true that PIT is mostly a connection point. However, connecting traffic is generally lower yielding than O+D traffic. ATA is going after the O+D traffic which is tiring of US''s high-fares.

Will ATA be successful at PIT? I think there''s a good chance. Airtran has had good success on the PIT-ATL route...largely because it feeds into Airtran''s well developed hub. HP has only been in PIT a short while, but so far they seem to be doing ok. ATA launched service to US''s fortress hub at CLT and that service has out-performed expectations. ATA added a fourth flight on that route. So apparently, some of those loyal DM members must have strayed from the herd.

Where and when was this announced that ATA is coming to PIT? I live here and have not heard a single word about this. The ATA website reports nothing either.

They can come and they will disappear just like AirTran. We are entrenced in USAirways and I have no plans on changing my flying and spending habits. I did fly America West recently to see how they compared. Guess what? USAirways is far superior to them. I was not impressed what so ever. The only perk is that now USAirways matches America West airfares to the west.

So I will continue to fly the only airline that I feel deserves my money. Why? Because of the people. That and you fly to those cities I work in 99% of the time....LOL!!

So here''s to a successful Monday release from bankruptcy for U!! I won''t be on a plane this week. I need a vacation and I''m staying home. 52 segments completed already and I''m tired!! It will be nice to see my home for an entire week.

But I will be on your planes next week for sure.

Good luck!

Pittsburgh to Chicago is already a competitive market with three majors (UA, US and AA). If I remember, AirTran''s flights to Chicago weren''t doing THAT poorly, as compared to the disaster on the LGA and PHL flights from PIT. I wonder if the opportunities to connect west from Chicago will be enough to make the route profitable for ATA. Hope so! I might give them a shot on my next trip out west.

----------------
On 3/30/2003 10:19:53 AM deelmakur wrote:

----------------​

America West started in PIT with 2x/day to PHX. Now it''s up to 3x, IIRC. Apparently, even the PIT lemmings have had it with being gouged.

----------------On 3/30/2003 11:26:51 AM trvlr64 wrote: We are entrenced in USAirways and I have no plans on changing my flying and spending habits. I did fly America West recently to see how they compared. Guess what? USAirways is far superior to them. I was not impressed what so ever. The only perk is that now USAirways matches America West airfares to the west.
----------------​

Would you care to elaborate on your experience on AWA, how it was far inferior to that on U?

----------------
On 3/30/2003 3:51:10 PM motnot wrote:

----------------
On 3/30/2003 11:26:51 AM trvlr64 wrote:
We are entrenced in USAirways and I have no plans on changing my flying and spending habits. I did fly America West recently to see how they compared. Guess what? USAirways is far superior to them. I was not impressed what so ever. The only perk is that now USAirways matches America West airfares to the west.

----------------​

Would you care to elaborate on your experience on AWA, how it was far inferior to that on U?

----------------​

The AWA staff, both gate agents and flight crew were not that friendly. U frontline employees have always been very friendly to me. I've heard PAX complaining about the lack of cleanliness of U planes, but they should look at other airlines too. There was still garbage in the seatbacks and on the floor. The AWA airbii that I was on had broken first class seats. On both segments!? I thought I was on the same plane for a minute. First impressions mean a lot to a paying customer.

Generally I didn't get any sense that AWA was any better than USAirways. I just was not impressed with this airline. I just don't see any reason for me to spend $$ on another airline when USAirways will match them. Yes I will admit I love the (limited) perks I get as a US1. AWA matched that status for me with the hope that I will spend my $$ on them. But I want "my" airline to thrive so I will give U my time and $$.

I think the only time I would use AWA would be to go to those destinations where U doesn't fly (cabo san lucas). But for all my trips to SAN, I can fly U direct instead of a connection through PHX on AWA, even for the same price.

Although I will say that AWA did help occupy my time by using their monitors to show trivia contests. UA does this too, TV shows are played on the monitors during the flights, plus the use of headphones for music or listening to the cockpit. Why won't US do this? It can't cost that much more?

Someone might find my reasons limited or short sighted. But let's face it, domestic airtravel is nothing more than a bus in the sky. Pre-9/11, flying was still enjoyable. Now it is more of a hassle. I'm not asking to be fed peeled grapes while inflight, but all I ask for is a friendly staff/crew and a comfortable experience. If the airline can give me that I'm happy. Again, these were my impressions/opinions.

----------------
On 3/30/2003 11:26:51 AM trvlr64 wrote:

Where and when was this announced that ATA is coming to PIT? I live here and have not heard a single word about this. The ATA website reports nothing either.

----------------​

It will not be announced til tomorrow...hence why you can''t find anything on it. However, go to amadeus.net and you will find it when you search for flights between PIT & MDW.

America West is essentially a low fare carrier, masquerading as a full service airline. Service levels will not generally match those of USAirways, although the latter has worked hard at closing the gap in reverse. I affectionately refer to HP as "the tramp steamer of the sky". With a disproportionate amount of "redeye" overnight flights, those of us who travel East to West on a regular basis have learned that if you misconnect in PHL or PIT, and you can get yourself to Vegas, invariably AWA will get you to LAX, SFO, SEA, etc., on a reroute, by 4 AM, as opposed to being stuck overnight someplace, and losing a chunk of the next business day. Who knows..this gets around and maybe FEDEX starts putting some seats in!