Atlanta - Vienna

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Delta Adds Vienna to Growing International Line Up
Monday May 21, 2:00 pm ET
Airline becomes only U.S. carrier to fly nonstop to Austria; strengthens position as leading carrier to Central and Eastern Europe ATLANTA, May 21, 2007

(PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) tonight will become the only U.S. airline to operate service nonstop to the heart of Austria with new flights between the world's largest airline hub in Atlanta and Austria's capital of Vienna. The flight is the second of 14 new international routes to be launched by Delta this summer as part of the airline's ongoing international expansion.

``Delta customers continue to respond enthusiastically to our international growth and we look forward to welcoming more customers than ever before aboard international flights this summer,'' said Glen Hauenstein, Delta's executive vice president - Network Planning and Revenue Management.

With the new service, Delta strengthens its position as the leading U.S. carrier to Central and Eastern Europe, building on existing routes to Budapest, Kiev, Moscow, and Prague, and new service to Bucharest (effective June 5).

Story

I believe DL served VIE back in the early 1990's. I think there may have even been some sort of an alliance /codesharing between DL and OS and SA (before OS joined * alliance and DL formed Skyteam). Does anyone remember if the flights back then were to ATL only or were there flights to FRA (remnants of PA's European network that DL bought)?

I think there may have even been some sort of an alliance /codesharing between DL and OS and SA (before OS joined * alliance and DL formed Skyteam).
SA = SwissAir I assume? Or South African (which is who the code SA belongs to, SwissAir was SR)

Anyway, yes there was some sort of agreement. I flew IAD-GVA nonstop on an Austrian A310 about 10 years. The flight was marketed as an OS/SR/DL flight. They might have all been responsible for 1/3 of the seats. I know I was on a DL ticket.

SA = SwissAir I assume? Or South African (which is who the code SA belongs to, SwissAir was SR)

Anyway, yes there was some sort of agreement. I flew IAD-GVA nonstop on an Austrian A310 about 10 years. The flight was marketed as an OS/SR/DL flight. They might have all been responsible for 1/3 of the seats. I know I was on a DL ticket.

Sorry, I meant SR = SwissAir (R.I.P). What was the name of this "alliance"? What other airlines were a part of it? Was Sabena and/or TAP (Air Portugal?) also involved? What were the reasons this alliance fell apart?

Latest posts