Atsb Plan

So what airplanes represent: -- Retiring an additional 49 aircraft, for a total fleet retirement of 139 airplanes from pre-9/11 levels;

Looking at the 2001 annual report, they indicate the following fleet size (this includes owned and leased):

A319: 47
A320: 86
7373: 101
7375: 57
747: 47
757: 97
7672: 18
7673: 37
777: 56

My first guess would be the 767200 (18) that leaves 31 planes. The 737500?? 737300??

Maybe i missed something and the 49 plane figure was inclusive of the 727 and 7372?

Not wanting to add to needless speculation, my sources' sources' sources have it on absolutely NO authority that the 767-200 is heading for the desert, as well as additional 747's and 737-500's as they come-up for heavy maintenance.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/17/2002 5:34:30 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

So what airplanes represent: -- Retiring an additional 49 aircraft, for a total fleet retirement of 139 airplanes from pre-9/11 levels;

Looking at the 2001 annual report, they indicate the following fleet size (this includes owned and leased):

A319: 47
A320: 86
7373: 101
7375: 57
747: 47
757: 97
7672: 18
7673: 37
777: 56

My first guess would be the 767200 (18) that leaves 31 planes. The 737500?? 737300??

Maybe i missed something and the 49 plane figure was inclusive of the 727 and 7372?

----------------
[/blockquote]
We are hearing rumor that 7 737-500's due for HMV will not be overhauled.

I think there are going to be big
white collar layoffs.2700 f/a's,600-700 pilots
some iam,but the rest from white collar group.You
maybe in for a suprise.
You need 5 things for a airline
1.Planes
2.Fuel
3.Mechanics
4.Pilots
5.Flight Attendants

The rest is negotiable

From Texas its mustard if you might be in that 9000 less employees group

The No. 2 U.S. airline said it expects about 9,000 more job cuts from its current staff of about 83,000, but gave no details about a timetable or where they would originate.
+I guess some of these mechanics may be right about the planned massive overhaul of staffing+
The airline also plans to save money by adding 109 regional jets in conjunction with its United Express partners by April 2004, resulting in a fleet total of 236 United Express regional jets, Green said.
+And you know the old tried and true cutting of lines stations back to UAX is part of the plan,I hope flyer is right and there is way more to this plan ( the groundbreaking ideas that would you would not believe etc)or it may have a hard time passing the mustard with 141m and maybe even 141.

14 Years senoirity so doubtful, unless they send a bunch of those 109 RJSs down south.

Maybe the layoffs are coming from management not mechanics
did anuone think of that?Wishing for all the layoffs from the people
who actually do the labor at UAL you might be in for a suprise.

Well the management/salaried ERP contribution plan comes out firs thing tomorrow morning. Rumor has it it will include a 12% furlough of all management/salaried staff.

UAL's non-union ranks to chip in
11/17/2002 - The Web

November 17, 2002
UAL's non-union ranks to chip in

Management and non-union employees of United Airlines are expected to contribute more than $1 billion of the $5.8 billion in labor savings that the carrier's unions agreed to in October, according to the Assn. of Flight Attendants (AFA). A message posted by AFA secretary-treasurer Shirley Barber on the union's Web site last week revealed the non-union share, adding that we continue to press (chairman and CEO) Glenn Tilton to release the specifics of these savings.
A spokesman for Elk Grove Township-based UAL Corp., United's parent, declined comment except to say that details of non-union labor savings are still being negotiated with representatives of salaried workers.

Meanwhile, Frederick C. Rick Dubinsky and Roger Hall, former chairmen of UAL's pilots union, are organizing a committee of retired pilots and retaining attorneys to protect their interests in potential bankruptcy proceedings. Part of pilots' pensions are paid from a supplemental plan that is not insured by the federal government, which means they could be among the carrier's major unsecured creditors if UAL files for bankruptcy protection. Mr. Dubinsky retires Dec. 1.

IAM Local 1781 SFO

wts54,
You may be correct, as long as you expand the scope of work those very important five groups already do every day.
Who is going to:
entice customers to call, answer the phones, determine a price to charge, keep track of sales, changes, cancels, determine the best routes for those planes that remain (one may be easy, try 400+), who is going to get the price for the fuel, parts and all that other stuff the gets used, construct the facilities, keep track of all those parts, airplanes, schedules, lines of flight, build a payroll, do the HR stuff like hiring when things get better, training of all those skills that need to be kept current?
I could go on but I guess those five groups can do all that for the 180,000+ passengers we are still handling per day plus whatever else I didn’t choose to include.
I am sure there are some management/professional folks out there that are not pulling their part, but maybe there is some reason for most of us that hang around WHQ 9-12 hours per day (without getting overtime).

All I ask is to cut us a little slack. Most of us work hard every day to do our best to keep our airline flying.