Attendants Asked For $116 Million

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
TED REED

Staff Writer

US Airways says it wants its flight attendants to make concessions valued at $116 million, part of the $800 million in concessions it is seeking from workers.

Airline officials disclosed the number Thursday, in a meeting at US Airways' Arlington, Va., headquarters with leaders of the carrier's chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants. Those leaders will meet today to decide whether they will negotiate over concessions and the form they will take.

Union President Perry Hayes said the union hasn't taken any position on the cuts because, until Thursday, it didn't know what the airline wanted.

Teddy Xidas, president of the union's Pittsburgh local, said that if the flight attendants agree to negotiate, they will use a financial analyst to determine the value of specific changes the company is seeking. "There are things we can do, but my short answer, at first glance, is that $116 million is not a doable thing as a cost target," Xidas said.

Changes in work rules, benefits and salary are all on the table, the airline has said. For instance, if the airline scheduled flights differently, flight attendants could fly more hours and spend fewer hours sitting around the airport, resulting in a cost savings, airline officials said Wednesday. The average top-scale flight attendant earns about $41,000 annually.

The nation's seventh-largest carrier, which has its largest hub in Charlotte, won $1.9 billion in annual cost reductions during a bankruptcy case that ended in 2003.

It is still losing money, largely due to mounting competition from low-fare carriers, and wants to cut costs by an additional $1.5 billion, including $800 million from workers.

The airline has told union leaders it wants $295 million from pilots and $120 million from the International Association of Machinists, which represents mechanics and fleet service workers.

Leaders of the Communications Workers of America, which represents ticket and gate agents, have not yet been told the value of their package.

So, let's see. Looking at the figures in the article above:

800 million from employees:

295 million from ALPA

120 million from IAM

116 million from flight attendants

which leaves

269 million from CWA?

:lol: yeah right

4merresrat said:
You forgot to include management, what will they be REQUIRED to give?
quit your whining, managemnt will now have to pay their own membership fees at the country club :rolleyes: NO MORE FREE GOLF! :blink:

Don't forget we must once again fill the severance pot which Siegel & Cohen drained when they left............. :p

local 12 proud said:
quit your whining, managemnt will now have to pay their own membership fees at the country club :rolleyes: NO MORE FREE GOLF! :blink:
Oh, don't be such a whiney baby.

Many in middle management in CCY and at other positions barely make enough to make the $1,100 it costs to rent a one bedroom apartment or condo in average parts of D.C.

ITRADE said:
Oh, don't be such a whiney baby.

Many in middle management in CCY and at other positions barely make enough to make the $1,100 it costs to rent a one bedroom apartment or condo in average parts of D.C.
Oh those middle people will be able to get a nice doublewide with fresh chickens in the back in AL!! :D And the office rent will be so much cheaper, they can use that savings toward their givebacks for themselves and me. :up:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 188
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040521/airlines_usairways_1.html

"Before the flight attendants can even consider moving forward with a third round of concessionary negotiations, we need to feel confident that management has a viable blueprint to turn this airline around," said Perry Hayes, president of the Association of Flight Attendants US Airways chapter.

"Hiring an expert to analyze the company's finances and targeted cuts will allow us to make an informed decision that is in the best interest of our flight attendants," Hayes said.

Bravo AFA. I truely applaude their efforts to make an infomred decision/recommendation based on solid facts versus emotion.

$116 million divided 5500 f/a's is equal to over $21,000 per f/a. This is just absurd. I don't care what combination of work rules, bennies, and wages that you use, this is just not doable. And for everyone who wants to say that it's this or no job, they are wrong. With this kind of cut I could make this money anywhere. If I give to "save the company" then I sink myself and my family. My home will be paid off in less than 5 years, my cars are paid off, I don't have any consumer debt, and I don't have any loans. But this cut would destroy everything. It is such a huge number that it looks to me like the co. wants us to vote it down. What galls me is that they think we are so pathetic and a bunch of losers that we'll accept anything. There isn't any respect for any of us. Let it sink.

Why doesn't the company hire a financial consultant for each of the employees to see if we can withstand any more cuts.

crazyincanton said:
Why doesn't the company hire a financial consultant for each of the employees to see if we can withstand any more cuts.
would it be a lot easier if the unions each hired their own financial consultants rather than have the company do it ( especially given their past troubles with teh employees)?

That is the dollar amount that was presented to AFA is overall savings that would be achieved eg. International Division wall comes down etc...

I find it hard to think that the personal amount of $21,000.00 is for each active F/A. My advice wait until you get a comunnication from AFA with the facts please and don't assume anything until it is presented from the union. Remember when in doubt always call your LEC.

AFA is hiring there own consultants. I would rather see coming from a outside firm then one represented by the company. Therefore it is not onesided. :up:

Latest posts