Attendants Asked For $116 Million

OOPS, sorry for some of my spelling mishaps, it is late, I am tired and I have had a late night (a few drinks with some friends and family) ;)

PineyBob said:
Depending on how you work the numbers being a flight attendent is a part time job that pays full time wages.

Standard 40 hour work week x 52 weeks = 2080 hours.
F/A flys 100 hours per month x 12 month = 1200 hours.

or 57% of the "standard" year. Do the math another way.

261 standard business days per year = 261
14 days a month flying a 12 = 168

or 64 % or a combined average of just under 61% of hours worked compared to the standard work week as defined bt the American labor movement.
:shock:

Is this a joke?!?

PineyBob said:
Depending on how you work the numbers being a flight attendent is a part time job that pays full time wages.

Standard 40 hour work week x 52 weeks = 2080 hours.
F/A flys 100 hours per month x 12 month = 1200 hours.

or 57% of the "standard" year. Do the math another way.

261 standard business days per year = 261
14 days a month flying a 12 = 168

or 64 % or a combined average of just under 61% of hours worked compared to the standard work week as defined bt the American labor movement.
and who actually is lucky to work only 14 days a month?!? NOT! Try 10 days off a month 20 days ON (less the commute.......about 3 or 4 days off a month) I am still so shocked that Piney wrote that.

Fly said:
and who actually is lucky to work only 14 days a month?!? NOT! Try 10 days off a month 20 days ON (less the commute.......about 3 or 4 days off a month) I am still so shocked that Piney wrote that.
I'm sure we'll next be told that one should live in thier base- because places like New York, Boston, and Washington DC are such cheap places to live. <_<

Clearly Piney doesnt feel that that time spent overnight in some hotel, or sitting in another airport, or hanging his coat and fixing him a predeparture drink while trying to seat hundreds of people in accordance with FARs is work. :down:

Light Years: I am with you. Katie is getting pretty ugly these days, I think she got some kind of botox on her lips or either doesn't know how to put lipstick on.

Anyway, I know that I have taken already 38% pay cut and ever since this Reserve time balancing crap I have lost over another $6,000 since Nov. I have stated this aready on this forum.

I think I will go down tomorrow and buy me a RED light (as I have stated before) and put in on my front porch. If I am going to prostitue myself anymore, I might as well make some money at it. ;) :lol:

I have nothing more to give and the consequences and sacrifices are not worth it after all of this time. Many of my peers are disgusted, distraught, unhappy, ill and disullusioned.

On reserve, we don't even get paid vacation anymore and we no longer have any seniorty. So what else is there??????

I just have to say one more thing. Piney Bob, you have really pissed me off tonight. Whatever respect I might have had for you is out your 2C window. :down:

Piney, what about the 2 hr wait the crew had on the end of the runway in the penality box waiting for the storms to pass and then the 1 hr wait on the ramp after landing due the snowball affect of the thunder storms. Figure the actual flight time of 1hr plus the unpaid ground time of 3 hrs and it brings the hourly wage down quite a bit. Another senario...the aircraft is broken and the crew sits and waits for four hours until another aircraft is brought in for the flight. You should retract your statement about the profession or you may face the rath of many pissed off F/A's. :p

Light Years said:
Well you know what Katie? I dont know anyone who makes a million dollars to get up early and talk about crap/smile/talk to a weatherman/get a colonostrophy.
Light Years,
You crack me up. I laughed out loud when reading this.
(A first while reading THIS website, that's for sure!)

What a scream you are! :up:

Airconditioned: That is why I LOVE Light Years. I laugh too, but LT brings home the Truth also. The truth can make you laugh and make you cry. LT has a genuine gift.

tug_slug said:
Bob the one thing your not adding in that equation is their commute time. Granted their not actually working but is time away from home, time their not being compansated for. Something that people like you and I who work a standard 40 hour work week seem to forget.
I agree with Fly's point about flight time not including the "shoulder" hours when the doors aren't closed, but I disagree with your assessment here. I've done the road warrior work before, and I never got paid for my hours in hotels far from home either. Same with truckers. That's just how those sorts of jobs work out.

And, lest it not be clear, I was as surprised as the rest of you by Bob's post.

:wub: Awww, thanks guys! Now dont go making my head all big, it wont fit through the doors of our new planes. :lol:

And speaking of colonostrophies, look who's back.... :jerry:

Pylit said:
This does not include drive time to the airport...
Do you think the rest of the working world gets paid for their commute time? If so, you've got a real surprise coming if you choose to switch careers. :blink:

mweiss said:
I agree with Fly's point about flight time not including the "shoulder" hours when the doors aren't closed, but I disagree with your assessment here. I've done the road warrior work before, and I never got paid for my hours in hotels far from home either. Same with truckers. That's just how those sorts of jobs work out.
Don't EVEN go there Micheal, because you will lose on this one. You have no friggin idea. And don't even think you can give us all your Rasm, Casm to make your point. You are in left field with this one. :down:

Hey, I get it about the number of hours you are forced to work off the clock. No argument there, you should be paid for them. Just don't start throwing commute numbers in, because you're going to have a hard time finding anyone else to have any sympathy. Did you know that many people in the LA basin spend four hours a day commuting? And they don't get paid a dime for it.

And, furthermore, KT, you ever had to travel for any non-airline work before? Because if you haven't, you have about the same "friggin idea."

The issue is not really commuting. The issue is that the press, and obviously our customers (and dont forget Botox mouth Katie :eye:) are under the impression that flight attendants spend 85 hours a month away from thier home, only even work fourteen days in a month and bring home 41k a year for this. No wonder no one likes us.

Latest posts

Back