Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Posted on Fri, Jul. 16, 2004
2 unions in US Airways talks
Flight attendants, reservation agents may help cut costs
MATTHEW BARAKAT
Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Va. - Two more unions have agreed to negotiate with US Airways on cost savings the financially strapped airline says are necessary to ensure its survival.

The Association of Flight Attendants said Thursday it will negotiate on changes to its labor agreement with the airline, provided that they be included in an equitable profit-sharing plan. Pilots already receive profit sharing. US Airways is a unit of US Airways Group Inc.

The airline also said Thursday that it expects to begin negotiations soon with the Communications Workers of America, which represents reservations agents, gate workers and other passenger service employees at the airline.

Previously, only the pilots had been willing to negotiate the cost cuts the airline says are necessary to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy. The decisions by the CWA and the flight attendants leave the International Association of Mechanics as the only major union still unwilling to negotiate changes to the contract.

US Airways has said it needs to cut costs by about $1.5 billion a year, including $800 million in labor cuts, to return to profitability. The company has told the unions it hopes to emulate the pay structure and work rules of airlines JetBlue and America West.

The flight attendants have told the airline that they are not interested in discussing JetBlue work rules or America West pay rates. Union spokesman David Kameras said a flight attendant at US Airways with five years of experience earns $29,583, compared to $25,110 at JetBlue and $20,070 at America West.

An airline official said the company is not insisting on an exact duplication of those companies' pay and work rules. Instead, US Airways has set specific monetary goals for each labor unit, and is willing to negotiate how to achieve them.

Specifically, the company is seeking $295 million from its pilots, $263 million from its mechanics, $122 million from the CWA, $116 million from the flight attendants and $4 million from the Transport Workers Union.

At CWA, spokeswoman Candice Johnson confirmed that the union is working with the airline to schedule formal talks, but said the union has already made some money-saving proposals, including a buyout of more senior employees and a voluntary work-at-home plan, similar to a program offered at JetBlue.

"From our perspective, we have made proposals," Johnson said. "We've been waiting for US Airways to negotiate with us."

Unions have been reluctant to open talks because they have already agreed to two rounds of cost cuts that collectively saved the airline $1 billion a year as the airline emerged from bankruptcy last year.

At the time, the airline thought those cost cuts would enable it to compete, but stronger than expected competition from low-cost airlines like Southwest and JetBlue, plus unexpectedly high fuel costs, have created difficulties for US Airways and other traditional airlines.

Airline spokesman David Castelveter said the airline is pleased to start formal talks with two more unions "but we still have a lot of work to do."

US Airways Chief Executive Officer Bruce Lakefield has said the company needs to have new agreements ratified by the unions by September at the latest.

700UW said:
...$4 million from the Transport Workers Union.
I know about your past and all, but $4M is a pretty small number. There should be some room there.

There is no way a 5 year flight attendant makes $29,583, unless they fly a high option, or well over the min. guarantee. Base pay for 5 years is $22,782.48. This is based on 71 hr. guarantee. Even if you include per diem, it wouldn't reach that unless you flew over your guarantee, which is SELDOM happening. I just figured out what I have made so far and what I will make by the end of the year. I will be lucky to break $30,000 my self with over twice as many years with the company. <_< <_<

Base pay for 5 years is $22,782.48.

If that is all that FA's are making after only five years at US, then I would say that the company needs to leave their pay alone. If you are single and live alone, you can get by with that amount, including the cost of health care. I don't think cutting this number down to, say, $20K, would help the airline as much as it would hurt the FA's.

ktflyhome said:
There is no way a 5 year flight attendant makes $29,583, unless they fly a high option, or well over the min. guarantee. Base pay for 5 years is $22,782.48. This is based on 71 hr. guarantee. Even if you include per diem, it wouldn't reach that unless you flew over your guarantee, which is SELDOM happening. I just figured out what I have made so far and what I will make by the end of the year. I will be lucky to break $30,000 my self with over twice as many years with the company. <_< <_<
I was thinking the same thing... and coming in almost five ground under jetBlue just isn't true. jB pays time and a half for over 70 hours and their minimum is 75 hours. Most jB flight attendants fly in excess of a hundred hours a month because the money is so good. A relative of mine has six years at LUV as a flight attendant and her pay is now going up six dollars per "trip" which come close to six dollars an hour... retroactive so all the flight attendants will soon be getting a nice fat check.

I too think the "profit sharing" is a joke and there is no way flight attendants will see anything there, especially with the purchase of all the small jets, then if we get through this sinkhole in the road, purchasing the new A330-200's that are on the wish list. They will always find some way not to be profitable.

In order to arrive at the number the company asks for from the flight attendants, as a condition precedent to any givebacks, we should insist on a credible buy-out of senior flight attendants and a one-for-one return of furloughees and NO FUTHER FURLOUGHS.

It is clear to labor that this company won't contain its cost with its current topped out employees. Make them a decent offer to retire or resign, and bring back the newer employees who want to return.

Why don't the get that?

mweiss said:
I know about your past and all, but $4M is a pretty small number. There should be some room there.
Actually the number for TWU is $8 mils and the utility folks are IAM. TWU is much much smaller. Like less than 500.

:oops: I shoulda noticed that. I saw TWU and immediately my mind said "mechanics," which I naturally took to mean that I saw IAM instead of TWU. Never mind. :p

DCAflyer,

Completely off topic, but I believe a "trip" at LUV equals about 55 minutes for the rest of us, so their pay scales (in trips) should be adjusted upwards to equate with hourly pay.

Jim

Latest posts