A Customer's Thoughts On "shrinking To A Profit"

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
So, I have an upcoming trip that should go something like this (over the course of a few days):

LGW-PHL-PIT-ATL-PHL-ATL-PIT-PHL-LGW.

The LGW-PHL and PHL-LGW legs are not a problem, per usual (well, except that I'm burning miles far faster than I'm earning them anymore to support upgrades, but...).

Is there any particular reason why all 4 of the weekday dailys PIT-ATL are ERJs? Moreover, 4 of the 6 R/Ts to PHL appear to be RJs as well. This is completely stupid, as it will force me to two step via CLT twice, because from PIT the first flight of the day is an RJ and to PHL the last flight of the day is an RJ, both sold solid on the days that I need them.

Now, from PIT to ATL on the day I need, DL has 10 flights. They open with an MD-80, and it seems that 7 of the 10 flights are MD-80s. ATL-PHL, looks like 11 flights, with the late flight (the one I need) on a 757. Looks like 5 757s a day to PHL, and 6 MD80s.

I suppose I can get over losing an hour each way in CLT, and I might be able to upgrade the mainline flights. However, I can't believe that US can't run (even from PIT) mainline metal to ATL and so little mainline metal to ATL from PHL--with it's (PHL) "superior" O&D when DL can run solid mainline metal to PHL all day and 3/4s of the time. I did not even check Airtran, but I'll bet they are running 717s on these routes, persumably multiple times daily.

For shits and grins, I tried pricing the domestic flights I wanted on UA (on the theory that maybe they had some extra inventory or saw another bucket, and I could force the oversale up on the flights I want and chance the fact that a US1 who checks in very early won't get bumped). As it turns out, the entire domestic itinerary was about $400 less for the identical flights (no joy on getting on the nonstop ones I wanted). And I'll run the risk of waiting until the day of departure for upgrading the mainline flights, but as a US1 checking in very early, this is not usually a problem.

To recap:

1. US has to fly me on at least 2 extra segments (and had I bought the fare from US, would have not charged me any extra to do so).
2. They have to do this largely due to the fact that they are flying 50 seat jets between major markets.
3. The fare that US was quoting was not particularly high given the timing of the trip, presumably because fare pressure from DL and Airtran, who have lots of seats in those markets, does not permit it. Kind of defeats the purpose of shrinking to the RJ.
4. I was able to cut the fare by roughly 40% by booking the United codeshare flights. The only gotcha for me is that I can't upgrade 7 days out and have to take my chances on the day of departure.
5. Despite flying larger equipment, DL still has better frequency.
6. DL is able to do this, despite flying into two hubs of another major carrier.

The question, of course, is why I did not book DL. Two reasons: I stopped flying Delta out of general principle when they "Baldanza'd" their VFFs last year. Two: I like the frontline folks at US much better.

Most people are not going to have that kind of loyalty. US loses on price, frequency, and equipment. WTF?? FWIW, DL has the same frequency and size of plane from ATL to MDT that US has from PIT to ATL. There is a joke to be made here about the "shrinking PIT O&D base" but I'll leave it be....

Rant off. Maybe I'll get to see some of yinz and/or my fellow cockroaches on the whirlwind tour stateside.

CLue,
The reason the equipment has been downsized to RJ's is because that is what our management says you want. You want it soooo badly that they're going to build an RJ fleet of around 465. Granted, not all of them will be 50 seaters,but enough will. The big lie is that they're using RJ's to replace turboprops. NOT. Everyday more mainline flights are replaced by RJ's. My guess is that at some point the A-319's will be classified as RJ's or maybe we'll even see a 747 pull to the gate with regional jet painted on the side. Welcome to airline travel in the 21st century.

ClueByFour said:
So, I have an upcoming trip that should go something like this (over the course of a few days):

LGW-PHL-PIT-ATL-PHL-ATL-PIT-PHL-LGW.

The LGW-PHL and PHL-LGW legs are not a problem, per usual (well, except that I'm burning miles far faster than I'm earning them anymore to support upgrades, but...).

The question, of course, is why I did not book DL. Two reasons: I stopped flying Delta out of general principle when they "Baldanza'd" their VFFs last year. Two: I like the frontline folks at US much better.

Most people are not going to have that kind of loyalty. US loses on price, frequency, and equipment. WTF?? FWIW, DL has the same frequency and size of plane from ATL to MDT that US has from PIT to ATL. There is a joke to be made here about the "shrinking PIT O&D base" but I'll leave it be....

Rant off. Maybe I'll get to see some of yinz and/or my fellow cockroaches on the whirlwind tour stateside.

Why are you doing All these Segments?? Do you have Business in PIT ???
Just wondering because Im Pretty sure you could've went fromPHL to ATL... I just did this a couple of weeks ago !!!!

Also, Thankyou for the Loyalty.... Who knows...Maybe more people like you will eventually get me and my Fellow Furloughees our jobs Back (Don't laugh too hard you guys) !!!!

Colby said:
Why are you doing All these Segments?? Do you have Business in PIT ???
Just wondering because Im Pretty sure you could've went fromPHL to ATL... I just did this a couple of weeks ago !!!!

Also, Thankyou for the Loyalty.... Who knows...Maybe more people like you will eventually get me and my Fellow Furloughees our jobs Back (Don't laugh too hard you guys) !!!!
I have business in both PHL and ATL, that has to be brefied and debriefed in PIT.

The actual itinerary actually ends up looking like LGW-PHL-PIT-CLT-ATL-CLT-PHL-ATL-PIT-PHL-LGW after you throw in two iterations of the Charlotte connection.

I have to start in PIT, go to ATL, go to PHL, back to ATL, off to PIT to talk about it, and then get to LGW to get back to London (and in turn Glasgow--can't wait for the U service :) ).

I hope that all of you guys get recalled soon. I'm trying (In chunks--that's probably half my domestic flying for the year right there).

I spent 8 years as a Travel Agent and ALOT of my Corporate Customers would end up with Itineraries Similar to Yours....

Hope ALL your Flights Are Wonderful !!!!

CB