B6 claims profit in BOS-PHL market

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://articles.philly.com/2014-02-05/business/47053283_1_jetblue-airways-dividend-miles-us-airways

It's tough to make money at another airline's international-flight hub, but JetBlue Airways is doing just that on the popular Philadelphia-Boston route.
JetBlue, Boston's largest airline with 125 daily flights, has succeeded where three other carriers did not: making a profit and winning over travelers with cheaper fares and in-flight amenities on a 300-mile trip on which US Airways long had a lock....
...Southwest, AirTran, and Delta all stopped flying between Boston and Philadelphia because they could not compete successfully against US Airways

Quite interesting,  Still, I don't see US/AA blinking...

There is nothing in the article that says that B6 is making a profit.

B6 is undoubtedly succeeding on the route but success can be claimed in alot of ways.

B6 has the lowest CASM of any large airline but they run a very thin operation (little reserves) which is why they have to cut their operation so deeply when there are weather problems.

This route does highlight that the NE is becoming more and more competitive. UA had little competition in EWR for years and then it all came very quickly. PHL will be a key hub and they will defend key routes like PHL-BOS but there will be downward pressure on fares such as there was in DCA-BOS.

I wouldn't get too excited about this BIG news. They run a few EMB-190's in this market, and take the same excessive delays that US or anyone else has.

Reactions: 1 person
From the 1st paragraph in the article:

"It's tough to make money at another airline's international-flight hub, but JetBlue Airways is doing just that on the popular Philadelphia-Boston route."

If you choose to dispute that WT, show me otherwise.

I agree DCMS, no big deal.

Reactions: 1 person
ok... let me rephrase that B6 did not say that they are making money. A reporter came to that conclusion. I would like to see the evidence she used to make that statement. Airlines very rarely talk about profitability of specific routes and then usually only to combat statements that a route or hub is not profitable.

I don't think there is any doubt that B6 is in the market for the longhaul and will look to expand.

But that doesn't mean that they are generating profits, which may or may be what the reporter means when she uses the words "makes money."

robbedagain said:
I found it interesting they said they may start fll and sju out of phl

Oh, well.  At least we don't have Dave Siegel crying: "They're (SW) coming to kill us!" anymore.

US has virtually given SW its walking papers in PHL after ALL the experts said SW would come in and take whatever they wanted from US.