Delta to Add PHL-BOS Flights

I don't think that this is in direct with the failed merger. They are putting RJ's on the route, not exactly what business fliers want to fly.

Just what we need. More RJ's clogging up BOS and PHL.

BTW, you don't see many "business flyers" on the US flights between BOS and PHL. They're mostly packed to the gills with the back-pack/flip-flop crowd on $69 internet fares connecting through PHL to places that DL serves non-stop out of BOS.

So, maybe with 12 F seats, and fewer "barefoot drunks" (as a fellow poster so perfectly named them) to deal with, the business flyer might just prefer the DL RJ to PHL.

Besides, US has made its disdain for business flyers very apparent recently.

You can't compete with US's hourly service to BOS. There are some flights that seem to cancel or be delayed more than others in their schedule and I try to avoid them, but 3 flights a day is not going to get the business traveler. I have flown FL to BOS and would prefer to always if nothing else than to take away money from US because of the state of their operations, but because US has hourly service I can get back into PHL usually with no problem. And since there are fewer and fewer elites traveling, 90% of the time, I can pick a flight last minute and get the upgrade. I love the East BOS folks...sorry, but there is a Westie up there that is Stepford Stare, manual reading, kool-ade drinking *&^%$ ...citing rules that don't apply to FC or Y/B tickets--anyway, I think the BOS people are great and with US's hourly service, it will make it difficult to compete.

And how could US compete with anyone like AA and DL do by entering markets--US has no planes--they can't even keep the operation they have in place running reasonably.

The PHL-BOS service also being positioned as a feeder to BOS originating TA flights. Never mind that you can also take a short PHL-JFK hop to do the same when you need to get from PHL to Dubai, Moscow, Mumbai and other far reaching Euro markets that US would like.
DL has no (0) non-stop flights to Europe from BOS, other than code shares on AF to Paris and AZ to Italy.

Actually, Delta has started alot of new service from JFK over the past year. Mostly, it is to connect to our international service. In fact, we served JFK-PHX prior to 9/11 and stopped it. It continued on to SAN. We started service again JFK-DEN the same time, but not to piss off United. I think people are reading into this a little too much. BTW, everybody should be watching AA. Their the ones who now fly LGA-ATL and LGA-MSP. It seems they want a piece of everyone else's pie.

While they definitely have been connecting JFK to several cities out west.....and I'm sure that they had been thinking of connecting JFK and PHX, they announced JFK-PHX on the same day as the hostile takeover was announced. Coincidence....I think not. And the CLT & PIT to SLC flights were announced while the offer was still on the table. Obviously when you are in bankruptcy, you can't just start a flight that will lose money to piss someone off.....but it was a little on the petty side and I think was MUCH more than a coincidence.

And I echo zethya's comment in regard to PHL's post.....DL does not fly anything trans-atlantic from BOS. I guess once they saw FL exiting the market....they decided they wanted a chunk of what would soon become (upon FL's exit...though I'm sure US was profitable on it) an enourmously large and highly profitable market.

While they definitely have been connecting JFK to several cities out west.....and I'm sure that they had been thinking of connecting JFK and PHX, they announced JFK-PHX on the same day as the hostile takeover was announced. Coincidence....I think not. And the CLT & PIT to SLC flights were announced while the offer was still on the table. Obviously when you are in bankruptcy, you can't just start a flight that will lose money to piss someone off.....but it was a little on the petty side and I think was MUCH more than a coincidence.

And I echo zethya's comment in regard to PHL's post.....DL does not fly anything trans-atlantic from BOS. I guess once they saw FL exiting the market....they decided they wanted a chunk of what would soon become (upon FL's exit...though I'm sure US was profitable on it) an enourmously large and highly profitable market.

So what? SLC is a major Delta hub. BOS is a mini-hub, with flights to New England and Canada that make plenty of sense for a connecting point from PHL, plus the easy O&D they can get from AirTran pulling out and US screwing up every day.