Us Airways Rolls Out Gofares For Phl-bos

US AIRWAYS ROLLS OUT MORE GOFARES ADD PHILADELPHIA-BOSTON TO GROWING LOW-FARE NETWORK
ARLINGTON, Va., May 13, 2004 -- US Airways rolled out more GoFares today, adding Philadelphia-Boston to its growing network of cities where these new permanent and simplified low fares are available. These fares are effective immediately.

US Airways’ Philadelphia-Boston GoFares start at as low as $44* each way in Coach. The First Class fare is $299* each way. Coach Class GoFares are no more than $239* each way on this route . The previous walkup fare on this route was $430** each way. US Airways operates 15 nonstop roundtrip flights each day between Philadelphia and Boston.

US Airways introduced the first phase of its GoFares in Philadelphia on April 29, 2004, making them available on 13 routes. GoFares range from $29 - $499* each way, with no Coach fare ever more than $499*, and, there is no Saturday-night stay requirement.

"When we tell customers that they can get our low fares to Boston, we mean Boston and not an airport one state away," said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. "As a result of positive customer reaction to our GoFares, we plan to roll out more GoFares to more cities very soon."

In addition to Boston, US Airways now offers GoFares between Philadelphia and Chicago (O’Hare), Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, Providence, R.I., and Tampa, Fla. US Airways also announced GoFares between Philadelphia and Houston, Los Angeles, Manchester, N.H., New Orleans, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., and West Palm Beach, Fla., for travel beginning July 6, 2004.

In addition to low fares, customers flying US Airways enjoy:

Advance seat assignments

Pre-boarding for Preferred Dividend Miles members

A First Class cabin with the ability to upgrade from Coach Class on many fares

In-Flight Café on select flights

Ability to earn frequent flier miles for travel to and from more than 700 worldwide destinations through US Airways’ participation in the Star Alliance beginning May 4.

*US Airways’ GoFares are simple, however, in addition to the fare, the federal government requires that the company collect a tax of $3.10 every time a customer takes off on one of US Airways’ planes, plus $2.50 per segment or $10 per trip (the September 11th Security Fee). Some of the airports that customers might visit also charge up to $4.50 for passing through, but the total is capped at $18 per trip. The lowest fares must be purchased seven or 14 days in advance.

** Highest walkup fare charged before the implementation of GoFares.

US Airways has many other airline partners, and a part of a GoFare or any other trip might be on one of the partner’s airplanes. These GoFares are available for travel on the US Airways Express carriers Allegheny, Air Midwest, Chautauqua, Colgan, Mesa, MidAtlantic Airways, Piedmont, PSA, Shuttle America or Trans States. A flight also might be operated by our Star Alliance partner United Airlines®. For all of the details about GoFares, including a few other restrictions, please go to usairways.com.

At Philadelphia, US Airways and US Airways Express operate 392 daily nonstop departures, and at Boston, US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle operate 102 daily nonstop departures.

US Airways is the nation’s seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 destinations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. Its transatlantic service comprises Amsterdam, Dublin, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Manchester, Munich, Paris, Rome and Shannon. Service to Glasgow began May 10, 2004. For more information on US Airways schedules and fares, visit usairways.com.

Reporters needing additional information should contact US Airways Corporate Affairs at (703) 872-5100.

They were pretty low before GoFares. I paid 90 some dollars for a one-way fare from BOS-PHL with no advance notice. They scrapped my original ticket and suggested I buy a one-way since the change fee was more than the one-way ticket. I still think it is smart on part of US to make these fares more widely known and to let people know that when US flies to Boston, they don't "fly to a city that is a state away." I love that quote.

This is pretty impressive to roll this out on PHL-BOS. Sure FL was there, but US really reduced their number of (public) fares and they are all now one-way. The question is whether or not this pricing change will result in increased revenue for the route (and enough increased revenue to offset the potential increased costs of carrying more passengers).

US1YFARE said:
I still think it is smart on part of US to make these fares more widely known and to let people know that when US flies to Boston, they don't "fly to a city that is a state away." I love that quote.
LMAO!!!

"A state away"?

I laughed out loud when I read that quote.

ringmaruf said:
"When we tell customers that they can get our low fares to Boston, we mean Boston and not an airport one state away," said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. "As a result of positive customer reaction to our GoFares, we plan to roll out more GoFares to more cities very soon."

I continue to find this to be so funny. At first it was, "We are giving our customers what they want." That is, only if you are flying out of PHL and are going to a city that is serviced by WN. Now, the cities being added are cities that are close to WN serviced cities. How about CLT? We continue to drive to GSO and RDU. I guess we have to wait until WN arrives in CLT before anything will be done. Until then, we continue to have GoGetScrewedFares in CLT, or drive to GSO or RDU. At least when we drive to GSO and RDU, we get wonderful service from AirTrans and WN. This service comes with reasonable fares and less restrictions. For international, LH flys from CLT, and ATL is a short distance from CLT with many international carriers.

banker,

A friend of mine just booked a CLT-LAX-CLT trip for $258.00 round trip.

Latest posts