Bad idea goes away

777 fixer

Veteran
Jul 21, 2004
Not to long ago Virgin Atlantic came up with the idea of towing its aircraft to the runway to save fuel and protect the environment. Of course any of us in the airline industry knew that the end result would be a big mess. Both Boeing and Airbus were not in favor of the idea. Had something to do with towing a fully loaded widebody around an airport by the nosewheel. Naturally there were those that commended him on his efforts.

Which of course brings up another subject regarding Sir Richard Branson. Maybe others have noticed as I have that the press seems to be gushing over him and his green initiatives. Outside Magazine had him on the cover with the caption "Richard Branson for President: Read the story and you wish he could run". Outside Magazine left out some very important details. Like that up until a couple years ago his fleet of A340-600 aircraft had "4 engines for long haul" on the otbd engines. Or that when he took delivery of his first A340-600 he said he considered the 777-300ER but that "research" concluded passengers preferred four engines. However now that "green" has become popular he has all of a sudden changed his tune.

There's him appearing with Al Gore. Him announcing a $25 million dollar prize for a design that removes CO2 from the atmosphere. Well here's one idea, he could order those 777-300ER's to replace Virgins A340-600. They do burn less fuel remember. And did that Outside Magazine article mention this? No it did not. It did mention his order of 787's. Guess this another case of some star struck reporter not doing his homework. Or no wanting to upset the subject of his article.

< http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle3516551.ece >

< http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/20...-branson-1.html >

Actually that "4 engines 4 long haul" was an Airbus marketing campaign. John Leahy probably comped Branson to allow the slogan on the outboard engines.

Branson is absolutely a character but he garners headlines and is profitable too. A regular PTBarnum.

His airplanes-running-on-coconut-oil schtick is interesting. Maybe not practical but hey he's pushing the envelope.

Airlines talking 'green' is an oxymoron like 'lebanese government'.

Actually that "4 engines 4 long haul" was an Airbus marketing campaign. John Leahy probably comped Branson to allow the slogan on the outboard engines.

Branson is absolutely a character but he garners headlines and is profitable too. A regular PTBarnum.

His airplanes-running-on-coconut-oil schtick is interesting. Maybe not practical but hey he's pushing the envelope.

Airlines talking 'green' is an oxymoron like 'lebanese government'.

Yes I know 4 engines for long haul was an Airbus marketing tool. Judging by the 777 vs A340 order book I would say it was not very succesfull. Guess Airbus isn't even buying their own propoganda, their latest aircraft is a twin.

My whole point was he will jump an whatever bandwagon he thinks will get him the most press. So yes I guess he is a modern day PT Barnum.