Be careful, TSA loose (for crew members)

Zephyr

Advanced
Feb 11, 2003
Hey guys and gals, be very nice to the TSA. Perhaps bring doughnuts.
Pilot Cited for Allegedly Threatening Security Agent
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
OMAHA, Neb. -- An American Airlines pilot was cited for disorderly conduct Wednesday after allegedly threatening to chop off the head of a federal security agent.
City prosecutor Marty Conboy said the pilot and agent apparently had an argument and the pilot referred to an ax on the plane that could be used to behead the agent. Exactly what happened was still under investigation.
The pilot was cited and released, police Sgt. Cathy Cook said.
American Airlines would not identify the pilot. Spokeswoman Julia Bishop-Cross said only that the airline was investigating.
The flight to St. Louis left 90 minutes late with another pilot.

As a police officer, if anyone, and I could give two turds less if he was a pilot, a janitor or a druggie said that to me, I would take issue with that too. If you're poking fun at the TSA guy for notifing the authorities, I don't blame him. That's overstepping the bounds quite a bit. That is exactly what I don't want when I fly, a pissed off pilot. For the record, I dont want a pissed off bus driver, taxi driver, waitress, bank teller, etc ... and I certainly don't want a pissed off pilot.

And these are the same Pilots that want to be allowewd to carry firearms, right? Hmmm, can you imagine a whole different headline in the morning paper? "Enraged Pilot Shoots TSA Employee Over ID Check."
9.gif']

I stand up for the Pilot, to watch these Guys and Gals getting ready to go into a cockpit with an ax, complete control of that aircraft, but before they do, they have to be searched, take off their shoes if they buzz. I find it so stupid. Then you have the little TSA employee who some think they are FBI agents, probably giving the Pilot a hard time, I'm sure he made that statement advising the TSA Agent he could do more with the ax than with his toenail clippers he had in his pocket.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 12:34:02 AM JetTroop wrote:

As a police officer, if anyone, and I could give two turds less if he was a pilot, a janitor or a druggie said that to me, I would take issue with that too. If you're poking fun at the TSA guy for notifing the authorities, I don't blame him. That's overstepping the bounds quite a bit. That is exactly what I don't want when I fly, a pissed off pilot. For the record, I dont want a pissed off bus driver, taxi driver, waitress, bank teller, etc ... and I certainly don't want a pissed off pilot.
----------------
[/blockquote]
I agree totally. These are the people that we are trying to protect from others, maybe we need to protect the paxs from the crews too.....it was a US employee that killed the crew on a PSA flt back in the 80's....kiling all on board.....

For the record, It was NOT a pilot that freaked out and brought down that PSA flight. It was a disgruntled ramper that had just been fired. He wanted to get back at the supervisor that had fired him.

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

JetTroop,

Just curious, are you a police officer at an airport?

As a police officer you are accustomed to recieving respect by most w/o question. That is how I was raised. For the most part you guys are the heros and I admire your service.

To help you understand how this pilot argued with TSA or possibly lost his/her temper , let me ask you this.

Would you feel humiliated standing in your socks , arms elevated to your side , most of you uniform and personal items searched while the general public watched? A Captain deserves more respect than this!

I am embarrassed for them. The TSA system has a way of bypassing police and federal officers. It apparently holds no respect for crew members and other employees or it would have a like system in place.
15.gif']

markmywords

hey what is your problem with a pilots having guns on the flightdeck. you seem to have no problem getting on an airplane that has a pilot who is in complette control of that airplane and can do whatever he wants with it. but a gun og god thats it no way no how

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 10:03:57 AM oops wrote:

Oops, I should learn to read a little more carefully, eh?? Anyways, I personally haven't had any major problems with the TSA folks, but have wittnessed what I would consider undue harrassment of the occasional crew member. The only personal problem I have had is the occasional attempt to confiscate the flashlight I am REQUIRED to carry with me. Happened three times so far. Always the same reasoning- it could be a weapon. No DUH. My ball point pen and my FO's breath could be a weapon too, but they don't seem too bothered by that. I just keep my trap shut and try not to look too shifty.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif']
----------------
[/blockquote]
I always see two flashlites....[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'] ....let's not forget though that some of those TSA folks are your fellow furloughed airline employees hoping for better times....[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 10:01:41 AM fatherabraham wrote:

Folks,

I notice it's always OK for another group to be singled out ( ie. pay / pension / work rules / security etc. ) but not me.

Just curious how many employees must endure TSA on a regular basis? Understand CLT has a bypass. How about the rest?

I note that some ID's seem to have the authority to bypass screening. I assume most of these carry a weapon. So does the TSA agent have some magical ability to detect a fraudulent ID? If so, then why are some employees required to endure screening?

I wonder if all the support personnel that enter other than terminal are subject to same TSA screening techniqes as terminal?

These and many more inequities are what pisses employees off that have to endure TSA on a regular basis.

BTW, for any TSA folks on board....I appreciate your pleasant attitudes. Just do not like the question " How are you today ". It forces me to lie to you, for I am not happy about the whole TSA charade.
There simply is not enough revenue generated in the aviation business today to pay your salaries w/o massive layoffs and paycuts from the airline employees.
TSA is not the whole problem....just a very " in your face " one.
----------------
[/blockquote]
ALL employees must endure security.....and to blame the woes of the airline industry on TSA is hypocritical.....mismanagement, high salaries and unionism is the root case of your problems.....I'll keep you in mind when I open that bag that forces the coroner to ID me from my dental records....[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif']

Folks,

I notice it's always OK for another group to be singled out ( ie. pay / pension / work rules / security etc. ) but not me.

Just curious how many employees must endure TSA on a regular basis? Understand CLT has a bypass. How about the rest?

I note that some ID's seem to have the authority to bypass screening. I assume most of these carry a weapon. So does the TSA agent have some magical ability to detect a fraudulent ID? If so, then why are some employees required to endure screening?

I wonder if all the support personnel that enter other than terminal are subject to same TSA screening techniqes as terminal?

These and many more inequities are what pisses employees off that have to endure TSA on a regular basis.

BTW, for any TSA folks on board....I appreciate your pleasant attitudes. Just do not like the question " How are you today ". It forces me to lie to you, for I am not happy about the whole TSA charade.
There simply is not enough revenue generated in the aviation business today to pay your salaries w/o massive layoffs and paycuts from the airline employees.
TSA is not the whole problem....just a very " in your face " one.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 9:24:41 AM oops wrote:

For the record, It was NOT a pilot that freaked out and brought down that PSA flight. It was a disgruntled ramper that had just been fired. He wanted to get back at the supervisor that had fired him.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Did I say a pilot? He was an employee...ALL employees deal with the security measures numerous times a day....they learn what alarms and deal with it...crews have the problem with it.....he was pax service....and circumvented security completely....
True he was pissed off about being fired, but employees also get pissed off about being furloughed
or losing their pensions....

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
[/blockquote]

Agreed. Goes both ways too. We don't know the whole story here. I'm certain hundreds of these incidents occur regularly, but pilots are a special breed and they do deserve an extra measure of respect. They are also held to a higher level of accountability. And yeah they should be paid more than other employees.

The TSA should expedite that 'fast-lane' screening process for airline employees. Unnecessary hassling of aircraft workers doesn't enhance anyone's reputation.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 10:28:06 AM fatherabraham wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

----------------
Would you feel humiliated standing in your socks , arms elevated to your side , most of you uniform and personal items searched while the general public watched? A Captain deserves more respect than this!

NO he doesn't!! The general public is subjected to it everyday.....six figure incomes doesn't excuse you!