Ben B At It Too...

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Pilots express 'no confidence' in Florida-based Spirit Airlines

DENISE KALETTE

Associated Press

MIAMI - Pilots for Spirit Airlines have expressed "no confidence" in the management of the company, one of the few profitable U.S.-based airlines.

Capt. Vince Heist, chairman of an executive council representing Spirit Airlines pilots, who are members of the national Air Line Pilots Association, says the no-confidence vote reflects "total exasperation and frustration" with the airline's failure to abide by a collective bargaining agreement.

More than two years ago, the pilots group signed a concessionary contract to allow the airline to grow, but alleged contract violations by management had led to "an abundance of grievances" and labor unrest, Heist said in a Friday statement issued by the union.

The pilots say the airline is inadequately staffed, and many pilots are forced to fly on their days off while others are on furlough.

The pilots said they intend to pursue "all lawful measures" on behalf of crew members.

Heist said Spirit was the largest privately held airline in the country and is also one of the few profitable ones, recently receiving $100 million in new financing.

A spokeswoman for Spirit, reached late Friday while on vacation, declined to comment. There was no response at airline headquarters at Fort Lauderdale.

The 15-year-old Spirit Airlines employs about 400 pilots and operates 33 aircraft. It has about 120 flights a day to 21 cities in the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean, and will carry an estimated 5 million passengers this year.

Recently, the airline has been continuing its expansion to destinations in the Caribbean.

a320av8r said:
The pilots said they intend to pursue "all lawful measures" on behalf of crew members.

Heist said Spirit was the largest privately held airline in the country and is also one of the few profitable ones, recently receiving $100 million in new financing.

[post="287967"][/post]​

I heard Capt. Heist has been in close communications with F/O Pollock on just how to sternly-word a letter for maximum effect.

make fun if you please, but this press release is a very positive step for the Spirit pilot group. The company has treated the contract with disdain, and as I'm sure you know unions don't have much leverage at the moment, so the only LEGAL way to bring some attention to the problem is PR like this release.

Of the five MEC members, only one has been on the MEC longer than two years. Meaning that they are not a bunch of union mossbacks. These guys are trying to accomplish something good for the pilot group. Vince Heist is a fine individual and deserves respect and support.

Skybolt

BTW, I'll bet that another MEC member wrote the release, and had a union lawyer looking over his shoulder

I'm sorry to make light of this situation. I was really intending to skewer F/O Pollock, the USAirways MEC Chair, who has taken the sternly-worded letter to an art form of blustery impotence.

And, the reality is that F/O Pollock and 58% of the USAirways pilots have dragged our profession into the gutter that you at Spirit are trying to avoid.

I applaud your efforts, and hope you are more successful than we have been when it comes to facing down management. Please send BBB a suitable gesture for me.