Big Surprise! US Airways Airbus A320 will get ETOPS!

Wow, I can't believe former US Airways Airbus A319-112 reg N707UW (cn 949) went to Honolulu in one time last October 30, 2005. (Not ETOPS certified).
Yeah - it's amazing what you can do when you're only ferrying and don't have to worry about all those silly rules.....

Jim

Wow, I can't believe former US Airways Airbus A319-112 reg N707UW (cn 949) went to Honolulu in one time last October 30, 2005. (Not ETOPS certified).

Diamondback - we have all agreed that it's technically possible in some situations. But you still haven't said where you got your info that US A320's will be ETOPS certified *AND* fly the pacific routes.

This is not that big of a deal. Ferry flights for deliveries are a whole different ball game. Generally operated under part 91. I flew an Airbus 320 from Shannon Irleland to Bangor Maine for a delivery. No ETOPS, but RVSM at least. Was up for about 6.5 hours.

Interesting, since I asked the pilot if it was OK before the flight and was allowed to use it.

This is the language from the US Airways magazine (which was the same as the pre-merger HP language):

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/inflightinfo02.asp

electronic equipment
We welcome the safe use of electronic equipment onboard our aircraft. Please keep in mind all electronic equipment must be turned off and stowed (overhead or under a seat) prior to the aircraft door being closed or when directed by a uniformed crewmember. Use of unauthorized electronic devices can cause interference with radio communication, navigation, and other airplane systems (e.g. cabin pressure systems). If your electronic device is not listed below or you have questions about the use of your device, please check with a uniformed crewmember before using it.

Approved Usage:
At the gate (while aircraft door is open):
Cell phones • GPS receivers • Pagers (including two-way) PDAs • TVs • Radios • Transmitters and transceivers Remote-control devices • Computers • Calculators Electronic games • Shavers • Entertainment devices (CD, DVD, MP3) • Video cameras

During flight (announcement authorizes use):
Computers • Calculators • Electronic games • Shavers
Entertainment devices (CD, DVD, MP3) • Video
cameras • Two-way communication devices as long as the transmitting capabilities are disabled (“airplane,†“game,†“safe,†etc. mode)

After landing (announcement authorizes use):
Cell phones

GPS does not appear to be on the list, and I've been previously rumbled for using one on HP. I guess it's up to the CA.

The GPS must be a change because while I was still flying I was still working under the rule that they were not allowed. Maybe now folks won't be asking "where are we" quite as much. :)

The GPS must be a change because while I was still flying I was still working under the rule that they were not allowed. Maybe now folks won't be asking "where are we" quite as much. :)
My husband loves his GPS and has asked and been allowed to use it on multiple flights. As it normally just receives data and calculates position internally from data received, it shouldn't interfere with transmissions on the flight deck. My 2-way pager would seem to be more of a problem if I forget to turn it off. :eek:
Geek

I'm unclear, so will there be ETOPS on the airbus or is it EOW and someone misunderstood what it meant?

An airbus a-319 or a-320 can barely make it PHX-CUN much less PHX-HNL so they may make them for etops for the MEX routes nothing more. The airbus is very weak on the PHX-PHL route in the winter, add 50kts of headwind and your making a fuel stop in MCI.

PHX - PHL is a walk in the park for the East 319/320s. All were delivered with higher Max takeoff weights than older models. I think HP is still flying serial #2.

A320 Driver B)

An airbus a-319 or a-320 can barely make it PHX-CUN much less PHX-HNL so they may make them for etops for the MEX routes nothing more. The airbus is very weak on the PHX-PHL route in the winter, add 50kts of headwind and your making a fuel stop in MCI.

Daimler Chrysler has a 319 that flies from PTK (Pontiac, Michigan) to Frankfurt. It is a single class configuration but I don't know the number of seats (not many).

They must have all a-5's on the 320's. Ours a pretty weak.

The East Arbii have the CFM motors and I thought the West Arbii have the IAE's. I've flown both and they both have there own positives and negatives.

It's been sometime, but I remember the old IAE motors with BUMP could be pretty doggy for the long haul flights.

I'm unclear, so will there be ETOPS on the airbus or is it EOW and someone misunderstood what it meant?

I think nearly everyone here has no idea what ETOPs or EOW mean.

EOW is a certification that includes the ability to fly more than 162 nmi from dry land.

ETOPS is a certification that includes crew training, equipment, as well as historical maintenance procedures that result in a positive probability of successful flight completion in the event of engine shutdown. Two options are 120 min. and 180 min. Both assume single engine operation at about 330 knots (less for 757) indicated to an adequate airfield. It has little to nothing to do with the range of an aircraft.

The 180 min. ETOPs has more stringent mx and wx requirements than the 120 min. I would assume that PHX-HNL is always 180 min. Mostly, NAT operations are 120, with a Canadian maritime province airport, either Keflavik or Loges as intermediates, with a European destination as the final alternate. Sometimes, with bad wx and a capable a/c, we go 180.

Different requirements. EOW can never legally go in ETOPS airspace.

Oh, and GPS is encouraged amongst the flight deck crews. Who cares about passive equipment. You gotta be really stupid to make an issue over this.

Latest posts