Board Of Directors

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Each US Airways union contract affords boards seats, ALPA and IAM each have one and the AFA/CWA/TWU share one seat.

From the Press release:

The merged airline's 13-member board will be comprised of one member from each of three new equity investment companies, six members from the current America West board, including Parker as chairman, and four members from the current US Airways board, including Lakefield as vice-chairman. The combined airline's headquarters will be consolidated into America West's headquarters in Tempe, Ariz.

Seems this is going to get interesting as each of the unions at US have BOD seats and nothing has been said about the union seats.

700UW said:
Each US Airways union contract affords boards seats, ALPA and IAM each have one and the AFA/CWA/TWU share one seat.

From the Press release:
Seems this is going to get interesting as each of the unions at US have BOD seats and nothing has been said about the union seats.
[post="271761"][/post]​
There will be no union seats. In case you haven't noticed the US equity is 14% and Bronner is gone to play golf. This was not a merger

You will no loinger have a seat at the table. US doesn't call the shots any more.

700UW said:

From the Press release:
[post="271761"][/post]​

Presumably pretty simple, 700....

US will be merged into HP on the effective date and US will cease to exist as a corporation. HP will be the surviving corporate entity, operating as US Airways apparently. US board disappears, as do the union seats.

The entire merger agreement has been filed with the court.

Court filing

It's quite long with multiple exhibits.

Jim

Each union contract at US states it will have BOD seats, they company can't just void a clause in the contract, we have been through this before.

It has to be negotiated or abrogated.

Remember the airbus fiasco?

What if US unions are the contracts that survive?

From the M&R Contract:

The IAMAW Preferred shall entitle the holder to elect and remove on director to the Board ("IAM Director"). for a period of not less then ten years from the Effective Date, provided, however, that the form of selection may be modified if required by a plan of bankruptcy reorganization, SO LONG AS THE IAMAW's rights with respect to the election and removal of a director are substantively preserved.

All I know is what the merger agreement says and I didn't see anything about the unions having board seats after all is complete.

Obviously, there will be new contracts negotiated for the merged employee groups. Any guess how the provisions for board seats will fare?

Jim

Obviously, there will be new contracts negotiated for the merged employee groups. Any guess how the provisions for board seats will fare?

Jim

Am I reading that right Jim? Our contracts will have to be reopened? If so, this is good news. Maybe we can regain some quality of life issues. Mark.

Contracts will not get reopened, a merger agreement gets negotiated.

I suspect that it won't matter whose contract survives. The provisions you cite refer to the board of US Airways, I presume. Once all is said and done, there won't be a corporation called US Airways.

"Surviving Corporation. The certificate of incorporation of Merger Sub [this is the "shorthand" name of Barbell Holdings, the new holding company] in effect at the Effective Time shall be the certificate of incorporation of the Surviving Corporation (the “Surviving Corporation Charterâ€￾), until thereafter amended as provided therein or by applicable Laws; provided, however, that the Surviving Corporation Charter shall be amended immediately following the Effective Time to change the name of Merger Sub to America West Holdings Corporation."

Jim

Walmartgreeter said:
Am I reading that right Jim? Our contracts will have to be reopened? If so, this is good news. Maybe we can regain some quality of life issues. Mark.
[post="271774"][/post]​

greeter,

It's only my understanding, so take it for what it's worth, but I think a joint negotiating committee is formed and it negotiates a combined contract. I would expect the JNC to attempt to get the best of each contract while the company would attempt to get the worst of each (both from the employee's perspective, obviously).

At least, that's my understanding for groups where the same union represents the employees on both sides. You can call it reopening the contract, combining the contracts, or whatever.

Jim

700UW said:

From the Press release:
[post="271761"][/post]​

700UW,

Why be concerned with BOD seats?
What has been the benefit of having ‘another’ figure head on the BOD?
In reality (considering our {UAL/USAir} fall into BK) having BOD seats might be detrimental to the membership.

What is the upside to this?

700UW said:
Contracts will not get reopened, a merger agreement gets negotiated.
[post="271776"][/post]​

Regarding the term sheet (or in companies words the "Company to IAM Mechanical and Related Proposal January 6, 2005") that the IAM mechanics and related voted in Jan 6. Can you explain exactly how the language will be written into old contract?

Examples

If a section isn't mentioned on proposal it isn't changed in old contract?
If a section is mentioned is the complete new language on the proposal and takes place of the old language or does anything being removed from old contract have to be specifically mentioned?

Like use Scope as a example from proposal. Is that language completely rewritten?

and by the way your union brothers voted this in regarding Board Representation...

Equity and Governance

Board Represention , if any, will be determined pursuant to the plan of reorganization of the current Bankruptcy case.

Do you really think they have will include seats or even have to negotiate? Dream on.

See USAirways Jan 10,2005 Final offer

If the language was not changed on the Term Sheet, the current language in the 2003 Agreement remains in effect. The changed language modifies and/or replaces the old language.