Bob Baker Passes Away

Former Vice Chairman Bob Baker passed away Sunday night.

We have lost a true aviation pioneer, said Chairman Don Carty. Bob helped shape our company and, in fact, our entire industry. He was a man who cared greatly about AMR, its airlines and its employees, and that will be his legacy.

Mr. Baker joined American in 1968 as a Marketing Management Associate in New York. He joined the then Freight department a year later and served in both operations and sales.

In 1974, Mr. Baker became Director - Ramp Services and two years later was named Assistant Vice President - Marketing Administration. He served as Vice President over the Southern Division, Freight Marketing, Passenger Sales & Advertising, and Marketing Automation before being promoted to Senior Vice President - Information Systems in 1985.

Later that year, Mr. Baker returned to operations as Senior Vice President. He was promoted to Executive Vice President-Operations in 1989 and led American''s operational units for the next 11 years.

He served as Vice Chairman of AMR from 2000 until his retirement last year.

Mr. Baker served on numerous industry panels. As the dean of airline operations, he was asked by President George W. Bush to serve on a post-Sept. 11 security task force. He was also appointed a member of the Management Advisory Council for the FAA by then President Bill Clinton.

Services for Mr. Baker will be private at the family''s request. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association or the Bob Baker Scholarship Fund at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 11:39:31 AM eolesen wrote:

Former Vice Chairman Bob Baker passed away Sunday night.

"We have lost a true aviation pioneer," said Chairman Don Carty. "Bob helped shape our company and, in fact, our entire industry. He was a man who cared greatly about AMR, its airlines and its employees, and that will be his legacy."

Mr. Baker joined American in 1968 as a Marketing Management Associate in New York. He joined the then "Freight" department a year later and served in both operations and sales.

In 1974, Mr. Baker became Director - Ramp Services and two years later was named Assistant Vice President - Marketing Administration. He served as Vice President over the Southern Division, Freight Marketing, Passenger Sales & Advertising, and Marketing Automation before being promoted to Senior Vice President - Information Systems in 1985.

Later that year, Mr. Baker returned to operations as Senior Vice President. He was promoted to Executive Vice President-Operations in 1989 and led American''s operational units for the next 11 years.

He served as Vice Chairman of AMR from 2000 until his retirement last year.

Mr. Baker served on numerous industry panels. As the dean of airline operations, he was asked by President George W. Bush to serve on a post-Sept. 11 security task force. He was also appointed a member of the Management Advisory Council for the FAA by then President Bill Clinton.

Services for Mr. Baker will be private at the family''s request. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association or the Bob Baker Scholarship Fund at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

----------------​

Eric,
We knew Mr. "B" real good, in BOS.
He use to "hoist" a few with us, after a few President Conferences.
He was a Good guy, and we''ll miss him

NH/BB''s

Bob was truly one of an increasingly rare breed... I never had the opportunity to drink with him, but two of my favorite memories of Baker do involve food...

The first was right about the time I first came to HDQ, and was considering what to get to eat at the employee cafeteria. I paused at the chili, took a ladle full just to find that it was really red water with some indistinguishable grey stuff mixed in. As I slowly dumped it back into the pot, I see Baker standing next to me, slowly shaking his head and mumbling "that chili just looks like ****..." Baker ate pretty much every day in the cafeteria, sometimes joined by Crandall, sometimes by himself, more often than not with someone who he bumped into while in the serving lines. I don't know that he ever asked Karin to "go fetch" food for him like some other VP's still do (before someone twists that, Carty gets his own).

The second was the morning of the 40th anniversary of the 707 transcon at JFK. Several of us had flown up on the Lightning Bolt (piloted by Capt. Cecil Ewell), including Ken Cunningham from Capacity Planning, John Judge, who had just retired from DFW AC Maintenance, and Baker. At breakfast, Bob, John, and Ken traded war stories for what seemed like hours...

There are lots other memories, most of them involving some profanity, and almost all of them good.

NWA I also Met Bob Baker.,Met him in the H/R office at LGA,I was there at my interview, he was in the office(and not knowing him) I needed some info.I asked what I needed to know and was just struck on how helpful he was only to learn later who I was talking to. It is a sad day when someone like that is lost,he was also another"he may be a SOB,BUT he''s our SOB".and well be missed.

I had the honor and pleasure of meeting and dealing with Bob for a limited time. Never forgot what a class act that he really was. Had integrity and regard for others as people not production units.