Boeing 787 Dreamliner troubles build

Glenn Quagmire

Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
Problems with Boeing’s troubled Dreamliner continued to mount this week as federal safety inspectors heightened their scrutiny the day after a 787 caught fire.

"Meanwhile, a report said wiring problems were found when United inspected its jets as a precaution, and another 787 aborted a takeoff because of a fuel leak.

...The National Transportation Safety Board has three investigators examining the Japan Airlines plane that caught fire at Boston’s Logan International Airport and said it has formed investigative groups to look at the 787’s electrical system.

...The NTSB described the jet’s battery damage as “severe.” Fire officials said it involved one of the plane’s lithium ion batteries. The 787 is Boeing’s first plane to use those batteries. In 2007, federal officials issued special rules for them because of concerns about the risk of fire.

Though the fire happened on the ground with no passengers on board, the matter is being scrutinized because in-flight fires can be catastrophic.

The Wall Street Journal, citing an unnamed source, reported Tuesday that United Airlines found a wiring problem on one of its 787s, an issue that affects the same electrical system that caused the fire.

United Airlines said it checked its six 787s overnight, but it would not say what the inspections found. A representative said no jets were grounded because of the inspections.

On Tuesday, a fuel leak forced a Japan Airlines Dreamliner 787 to abort its takeoff and return to the gate at Logan. The NTSB said it is not investigating the fuel leak.

Boeing says the fire appeared to be unrelated to previous electrical problems on the next-generation 787.

Boeing shares have fallen 4.6 percent since the fire was reported, wiping out almost $2.7 billion of the company’s value. On Tuesday, they fell $2, or 2.6 percent, to close at $74.13.

The 787 Dreamliner, Boeing’s newest plane, had been plagued with production delays. In November 2010, a test flight had to make an emergency landing after an in-flight electrical fire.

Last month, a United Airlines 787 flying from Houston to Newark, N.J., diverted to New Orleans because of an electrical problem with a power distribution panel, and Qatar Airways grounded one of its 787s because of the same issue.

The problems collectively are a blow to the plane’s image, said Robert Aboulafia, vice president of Teal Group Corp., which does research and analysis on the aerospace and defense industry.

“This is going to be tough to explain to people,” he said. “It will take some serious image repair work. There are a lot of new technologies imbedded in this jet, far more than any other aircraft.”

BB&T Capital Markets downgraded Boeing’s stock to “Hold” from “Buy” after the fire."

Full article here: http://www.suntimes.com/business/17458366-420/boeing-787-dreamliner-troubles-build.html

Ships battery fire in flight would not be good.

Media overplay? Maybe Yes, every logbook write up now will be a huge deal to all those who have no clue that machines break. Especially when we have ex airline talking heads who are paid to sensationalize them.

Understand the issue......but tell me it isn't being overplayed .

It's a conspiracy by the left!!!!!!!! Not only do they wanna take away your gun, but also your Boeing 787. The nerve.
----

No, seriously, when was the last time an aircraft was grounded? 737 or something like that?

This is major.... and not based on media hype. FAA don't work like that, pal. If it had been media hype, then the UAL fleet would have been grounded yesterday, immediately after the ANA emergency landing. If the FAA deemed the aircraft unsafe, then it is because they became aware of serious problems with the frame.

I expected the Americans to be all proud'n'patriotic'n'$h|t and all like Boeing is the 787th amendment, and it cannot be violated, sort of like the Russians saying that their new aircraft that crashed during demonstrations, is totally safe.

But I'm glad they did the right thing, it's not about ego, it's about safety. And you know, all aviation bodies take fire hazards very seriously, but then again I didn't expect you to know that, you probably were never crew.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a conspiracy by the left!!!!!!!! Not only do they wanna take away your gun, but also your Boeing 787. The nerve.
----

No, seriously, when was the last time an aircraft was grounded? 737 or something like that?

This is major.... and not based on media hype. FAA don't work like that, pal. If it had been media hype, then the UAL fleet would have been grounded yesterday, immediately after the ANA emergency landing. If the FAA deemed the aircraft unsafe, then it is because they became aware of serious problems with the frame.

I expected the Americans to be all proud'n'patriotic'n'$h|t and all like Boeing is the 787th amendment, and it cannot be violated, sort of like the Russians saying that their new aircraft that crashed during demonstrations, is totally safe.

But I'm glad they did the right thing, it's not about ego, it's about safety. And you know, all aviation bodies take fire hazards very seriously, but then again I didn't expect you to know that, you probably were never crew.

Correct, never even been on an aircraft except at a static show.

So your posts are all ego based after all...

I knew it....

:)

but then again, I have another CONSPIRACY idea for you.... Maybe the Japanese are all behind wanting to take your gun, 'cuz they are definitely trying to ground your 787.

Them Japanese trying to take over the US again.... I knew it.... It's all a conspiracy by Obama.... Obama is a Japanese name.... That's it, you found him out...

Reactions: 2 people
So your posts are all ego based after all...

I knew it....

:)

but then again, I have another CONSPIRACY idea for you.... Maybe the Japanese are all behind wanting to take your gun, 'cuz they are definitely trying to ground your 787.

Them Japanese trying to take over the US again.... I knew it.... It's all a conspiracy by Obama.... Obama is a Japanese name.... That's it, you found him out...

Ain't my 787 Momma.
Hey sweetie, Obama happen to be a Kenyan name.....you that ignorant of your god's heritage?

LOL

Reactions: 1 person
Dude, it's all connected.... It's the big conspiracy by the Japanese and Obama to take away your gun and get rid of the 787. I think you should spread the word, tell your neighbor to get an AK47 so he can protect himself from the upcoming invasion. They're coming to get you....

Obama trying to take your gun first, then the Japanese making it look like it's all about the 787, then Japan take away your gun and Obamanishaki rule the USA from Tokio, - make you their slave.

Reactions: 3 people
FAA grounds all 787's due to battery issue.

"The FAA on Jan. 16 said it would “issue an emergency airworthiness directive (AD) to address a potential battery fire risk in the 787 and require operators to temporarily cease operations.” U.S. operators – of which United Airlines is the only one – must demonstrate to the FAA that the batteries are safe” before flights will be allowed."

FAA grounds all 787's due to battery issue.

"The FAA on Jan. 16 said it would “issue an emergency airworthiness directive (AD) to address a potential battery fire risk in the 787 and require operators to temporarily cease operations.” U.S. operators – of which United Airlines is the only one – must demonstrate to the FAA that the batteries are safe” before flights will be allowed."

What is the problem with the battery?

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/20130251_Emergency.pdf/EAD_US-2013-02-51_1

"This emergency AD was prompted by recent incidents involving lithium ion battery failures that resulted in release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage, and smoke on two Model 787-8 airplanes. The cause of these failures is currently under investigation. These conditions, if not corrected, could result in damage to critical systems and structures, and the potential for fire in the electrical compartment."