Boeing, Airbus Can't Replace the 757

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any carrier is operating Airbus narrowbody service from the North America mainland to Hawaii. IS that correct?
As far as I know, that's correct. It's doable from the west coast, but at a pretty big capacity reduction compared to what most carriers operate.

Jim

US, CO, DL, AA, all operate the 757s T/A as does North American, and Iceland Air does too.

US, CO, DL, AA, all operate the 757s T/A as does North American, and Iceland Air does too.
Yes, and sometime down the road they'll have to replace them with something. Right now neither Airbus nor Boeing have a replacement. Maybe the 737-9ER (re-engined 737-900ER) or A321neo will be such a replacement but we won't know for sure till probably 2015 when flight testing is well under way. Heck, even the engines for them haven't been tested yet.

Jim

Icelandair has no transatlantic routes. Everything goes through Iceland and connects.

And please note that the name is Icelandair, not Iceland Air. Since you're such a stickler and all.

This is an interesting discussion.
Basically pre 9-11 the industry was moving away form the 757 the reason production stopped as everyone thought the SWA model of shorter flights more depth was American aviation's future. Right now if they were producing a NEO 757 it could be Boeing's best selling Aircraft. 9-11 and the prevailing current economics has saved the hub and spoke airlines and creates a huge market for a 757.

darie

Do you need a geography lesson?

Iceland is smack in the middle of the ocean, they fly to the US and Europe, crossing the Atlantic.

Might want to read up on them.

Read This

Route Map

darie

Do you need a geography lesson?

Iceland is smack in the middle of the ocean, they fly to the US and Europe, crossing the Atlantic.

Might want to read up on them.

Read This

Route Map

Do you need an English lesson? Icelandair does not fly transatlantic routes. That is what the discussion was about. They fly from the US to Iceland and from Europe to Iceland. If you want to get across the ocean you need to connect.

Let me make this easy for you. American Airlines operates the MD80 from DCA to DFW. American Airlines also operates the MD80 from DFW to LAX. Therefore, a passenger can ride on American's MD80s from DCA to LAX by connecting in DFW.

That does not mean that American Airlines operates the MD80 on transcontinental flights! Get it?

The World's Greatest Living Expert. What a freaking moron.

Isn't Iceland Air a 757 airline exclusively? Supposed to be a great Airline to fly.

It is a very good airline, Bob. And one of the best things about it is that most of the passengers are Icelandic. Reserved, polite and uncomplaining. Even the kids are well behaved. Quite a change from the normal airline experience.

It is a very good airline, Bob. And one of the best things about it is that most of the passengers are Icelandic. Reserved, polite and uncomplaining. Even the kids are well behaved. Quite a change from the normal airline experience.

That's what I keep hearing. Also the way they work route wise is everything connects through Reykjavik. Primary US departure cities are BOS, BWI, MSP, JFK, MCO & SEA. What makes them appealing is they offer a stopover ticket program. You book say MSP-AMS and you can include a 3 or 4 day stopover in REK without any increase in cost. In fact it's often cheaper to do that than connect through. Iceland is on my "Bucket List" just haven't got the cash right now

That's what I keep hearing. Also the way they work route wise is everything connects through Reykjavik. Primary US departure cities are BOS, BWI, MSP, JFK, MCO & SEA. What makes them appealing is they offer a stopover ticket program. You book say MSP-AMS and you can include a 3 or 4 day stopover in REK without any increase in cost. In fact it's often cheaper to do that than connect through. Iceland is on my "Bucket List" just haven't got the cash right now
Flew them a few times, service is what you would expect from a Euro carrier. Iceland is a great place, in the summer, KEF is lunar, REK is small and 50's ish. Flew to Aukeryi once, great place. Its a nice place, expensive as hell. One of the last stops on my round the world in 14 flights standby. Made all but one, flew jumpseat on one flight. Highly recommend Iceland, great place. Hot women.

Can't there be one thread here where discussion can be civil and not resort to personal attacks and name calling? People make mistakes and sometimes misinterpret...deal with it.

As for the topic at hand, I think between the 737 line and 787 line Boeing will have the 757 replacement market 95% covered. Time will tell, but for once I actually agree with Up..before 9/11 the 757 was languishing, but I do believe had Boeing waited perhaps another year before pulling the plug, the 757 might still be offered today.

Transatlantic is an adjective describing something that spans or crosses the Atlantic Ocean.

And flying from Iceland to the US or Europe means you have to cross the atlantic.

This is an interesting discussion.
Basically pre 9-11 the industry was moving away form the 757 the reason production stopped as everyone thought the SWA model of shorter flights more depth was American aviation's future. Right now if they were producing a NEO 757 it could be Boeing's best selling Aircraft. 9-11 and the prevailing current economics has saved the hub and spoke airlines and creates a huge market for a 757.
The 757 is still a heavy aircraft for most of the domestic missions it operates... which is why there is certainly a desire to replace what can be when the time arrives to do so.
That said, consolidation in the industry and the further reduction of fares as low fare carriers enter the market do argue for larger domestic flights operating on more efficient aircraft. Network carriers cannot compete in the local market with low fare carriers with aircraft that are 15-20% less efficient than what LFCs are using and also carry higher cost connecting passengers to cities the LFCs don't serve, some of whom pay proportionately more for their flights but for whom most the difference in fare between an LFC market and one that is not directly competitive w/ a LFC is fairly minimal.

Back