Bonus Miles For Check-in Online?

I seem to recall that I got 500 bonus miles for the first time I checked in online, but I don't know if there is an ongoing promotion.

Same thing with the Kiosk - a one-time 500 mile bonus for using it to checkin.

The self-service mindset is rampant throughout corporate America.Wal-Mart and Albertson's are adding more self-service checkouts in their stores.

There is something wrong with this picture when the business wants the customer to do their job for them.This is just flat wrong and everytime you use a self-service transaction you have just eliminated more jobs.

The companies promote the idea that the products are cheaper with self-serve but this is only in the beginning and once they get the customers use to doing their work the the prices are raised.

My last trip to Wal-Mart I stood in a cashier check-out line rather than use the self serve which was open with no line.I refuse to use them unless I'm FORCED to.

The companies want my money and me to also do their jobs for them? They are nuts!

I find self-service to be a real pain-in-the-butt. At supermarkets they never seem to work right, even though I'm following directions. Even at AA, I remember travelling on a three leg trip (award flights) with a 4+ hr stopover. My wife and kid were with me. The damned kiosk would only issue 2 of the 3 BPs for me, and none at all for my family. I had to go to an agent who ripped up the 2 BPs and issued 9 BPs for all of us doing it the "old-fashioned" way. Now some of the airlines (like US) are talking about automated gate ops with an agent overseeing things. It will be a security nightmare with some idiots hopping over turnstiles like it was the 7 train in Flushing! Then there's the "problem" of non-revs, other standbys, folks wihout assigned seats, upgrades, etc. Sometimes there's just no getting around the need for warm, qualified, bodies to do things. :)

goingboeing said:
The self-service mindset is rampant throughout corporate America.Wal-Mart and Albertson's are adding more self-service checkouts in their stores.

There is something wrong with this picture when the business wants the customer to do their job for them.This is just flat wrong and everytime you use a self-service transaction you have just eliminated more jobs.

The companies promote the idea that the products are cheaper with self-serve but this is only in the beginning and once they get the customers use to doing their work the the prices are raised.

My last trip to Wal-Mart I stood in a cashier check-out line rather than use the self serve which was open with no line.I refuse to use them unless I'm FORCED to.

The companies want my money and me to also do their jobs for them? They are nuts!
So let me guess, you drive a hand made horse buggy? The car you drive was made with the help of automated robots (that eliminated jobs). I am sure most of the appliances in your home were manufactured with robotic assistance as well. OH yea, since you are so concerned with jobs, I'm sure everything you buy is made here in the US by US labor huh? And let’s see. I guess that means you never use an ATM (remember those unemployed teller), never bank on line (those pesky tellers again), never fix your own car (need to keep the mechanics in business), don’t pump your own gas (remember full service) …. That sound of water rushing in is the sound of your boat sinking.

Garfield1966 said:
So let me guess, you drive a hand made horse buggy? The car you drive was made with the help of automated robots (that eliminated jobs). I am sure most of the appliances in your home were manufactured with robotic assistance as well. OH yea, since you are so concerned with jobs, I'm sure everything you buy is made here in the US by US labor huh? And let’s see. I guess that means you never use an ATM (remember those unemployed teller), never bank on line (those pesky tellers again), never fix your own car (need to keep the mechanics in business), don’t pump your own gas (remember full service) …. That sound of water rushing in is the sound of your boat sinking.

Yeah,but at least I DID NOT have to build my car or appliances and then turn around and pay for them!

You must have not ever traveled to Orgeon where all gas is pumped full service and self-serve is not allowed.

Beam me up Scotty!

goingboeing said:
Yeah,but at least I DID NOT have to build my car or appliances and then turn around and pay for them!

You must have not ever traveled to Orgeon where all gas is pumped full service and self-serve is not allowed.
Talk about arguing the trees and missing the forest!

Getting back to the forest...you either believe that automation is a bad thing, in which case you're going out of your way to avoid anything not built by hand, or you find automation to be a good thing because it brings down prices, thus permitting you to pay for more goods. Or you think it's great until it costs you your own job...

mweiss said:
Talk about arguing the trees and missing the forest!

Getting back to the forest...you either believe that automation is a bad thing, in which case you're going out of your way to avoid anything not built by hand, or you find automation to be a good thing because it brings down prices, thus permitting you to pay for more goods. Or you think it's great until it costs you your own job...
You must be lost in the forest because my original statement wasn't anti-automation,just anti-myself having to do a companies job for them and then pay them for it!

kirkpatrick said:
Think of all the great jobs that has saved!

MK
Hey,pumping gas is a good job for some people as EVERYONE cannot afford college or they do not have skills for higher paying technical jobs.
I do not look down on someone just because they are pumping gas or working at McDonald's.
Not everyone can be a doctor,lawyer, CEO,or airline pilot in our society.

goingboeing said:
I do not look down on someone just because they are pumping gas or working at McDonald's.
Not everyone can be a doctor,lawyer, CEO,or airline pilot in our society.
Nor do I. I pumped gas before I became a flight attendant in 1972, and now that I'm furloughed I wear an orange apron at Home Depot.

But I'm not against automation or self-service. There are some trends you just cannot fight. I don't see a lot of icemen or town criers around today.

MK

goingboeing said:
You must be lost in the forest because my original statement wasn't anti-automation,just anti-myself having to do a companies job for them and then pay them for it!
Hmmm...usually I buy airline tickets to get me someplace, rather than to get someone to poke at a keyboard and get cardboard to pop out of a machine. To each his own, I guess.

AA's longstanding policy on awarding bonus miles for using AA.com must really be eating at some of you; it's been going on for more than 8 years now. Imagine all the res agents put out of work (not to mention all the independent travel agents) by such sinister technology and sinister incentives to get the customers to use it.

kirkpatrick said:
Nor do I. I pumped gas before I became a flight attendant in 1972, and now that I'm furloughed I wear an orange apron at Home Depot.

But I'm not against automation or self-service. There are some trends you just cannot fight. I don't see a lot of icemen or town criers around today.

MK
Well, if you get tired of Home Depot, MK, you can always come to work in my new buggy whip manufacturing plant. :lol: