Boyd On Us Airways

25.jpg

How much does everyone think this thing costs?

More or less than a furloughed flight attendant's pay for a year?

Does this make anyone want to fly?

It make me think that people love to waste money.

spacewaitress said:
If UAL's 'summer of 2000' is any indicator, yes, I do think USAir will be able to survive this. The low low fares have created a market that hasn't been there in the past...just take a look at who's flying these days.
[post="232337"][/post]​

I think that the majority of passengers that were badly effected by this will not fly US again and cutting fares wont matter much at all. There are a couple reasons why I think this is true.

1) If you would ask 100 people that fly Southwest why they chose Southwest over US I would guess 80 or 90 of them would say that it is because they are treated better by the employees. People like that will not be flying US is they were involved in this.

2) Many people who werent involved in this saw the pictures and wont buy a ticket on US at any price as a result. They dont want to take the risk of sleeping in the airport.

3) Given the way I, and I think many others make decisions about airlines, I dont look at EVERY airline, but a few that I like for whatever reason. People like that wont even see that US has cheaper prices given that type of decision making.

4) It is arguable (and has been explained as being this way by more than one UA employee) that the US summer of hell was the single most damaging thing to UA that resulted in their Ch11. While AA and others were building up cash pre Sept 11, UA was still trying to recover from the summer of hell and the lost revenue that summer and in subsequent months as a lot of flyers no longer flew UA. Whether they recover is yet unknown, but it hurt them very badly and US cant survive that kind of a loss at this point in time.

In my case I had a similar Christmas experience with AA. It was largely weather induced, much more than in this case with US. But I thought that AA handled it very badly, gave wrong information, lost our bags for days, etc. It caused a huge amount of personal stress and misery and it is probably true to say had a substantial negative impact on my life for years. Basically it great exacerbated the whole Christmas tension thing to an intolerable point that one year. So I promised myself I wouldnt fly AA again. I broke the promise a few times, maybe 5 or at the outside 10. It I couldnt fly on anyone else or for a few other reasons. Maybe once or twice over cost but Im not sure about that. If it was cost it wouldnt have been a few dollars. Maybe a few hundred but Im not even sure about that. I finally started flying AA again in 2003. I had for years been flying 200,000 miles per year or more on other carriers. But I figured since the original incident was in 1982 the people involved had probably retired so I could fly AA again. I think Im not too atypical A very sizable number of these customers wont be back; ever, at any price.

I really want US to survive. And I am trying to work up the courage to buy some tickets on them for January. But it is tough. I am afraid it is very likely that these couple hundred employees have ended it. I dont see a recovery from this point. And I dont think it will be long to see it. Basically US was counting on the profits from the holidays to provide the cash to last until summer (coupled with the employee concessions). This disruption and the combination of costs to repair it (baggage deliver, etc) and the lost revenue due to it in this coming winter seem to be nonrecoverable to me. I hope Im wrong and everyone gets to give me a nasty "I told you so".

FM2436 said:
http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

This "Seth" program makes US Airways look like a pack of amateurs just out of a Third World marketing class. It actually has some creature dressed (if you can call it that) like a punk rocker, complete with a spiked, orange-dyed hairdo and a Zoot Suit. Then they have this ambassador of bad taste run around Florida hyping US Airways in nursing homes (!) and shopping malls. If employees have little respect for management, it's examples of this type of amateur voodoo-marketing that causes it.

© 2004, The Boyd Group/ASRC, Inc. All Rights Reserved
[post="232235"][/post]​

Mike Boyd needs to be careful or he will be accused of "bashing" our "talented" management figures. As you know this is a big problem on this board.

GadgetFreak said:
It caused a huge amount of personal stress and misery and it is probably true to say had a substantial negative impact on my life for years.
[post="233040"][/post]​

Geez. You need some serious therapy if a lost bag and a weather delay had a "substantial negative impact" on your life for "years." Why don't you sue the airlines and governement for your incredible pain and suffering? What's rush hour traffic do for ya?

Pal, you need to go live in some places in the world where people are worried about where their next meal is coming from or if someone is going to put a bullet in their brain in the near future. Maybe then you can get a reality check on your life and stop your petty whining.

Winglet said:
Geez. You need some serious therapy if a lost bag and a weather delay had a "substantial negative impact" on your life for "years." Why don't you sue the airlines and governement for your incredible pain and suffering? What's rush hour traffic do for ya?

Pal, you need to go live in some places in the world where people are worried about where their next meal is coming from or if someone is going to put a bullet in their brain in the near future. Maybe then you can get a reality check on your life and stop your petty whining.
[post="233067"][/post]​

Nice selective editing and interpretation.

There is a lot of evidence that for many people the holidays are a very stressful time. You have to be around the in-laws you hate, your nephew who screams or whatever. Suicides are high at the holidays and people are in many cases strung out due to things having nothing to do with the airlines. Throw in the travel fiascos and it raises the stress level even more. My details dont concern you. You can deny it or mock me, I could care less. I didnt sue anyone then although I can tell you people are trying to figure out if they can sue US over this situation. Im not, my only travel problem this Christmas was being a few late into PIT. They probably wont be able to sue, but they wont be flying US in the future. The bottom line is, a large percentage of the passengers who got messed over last weekend are going to look back on this for years as a very negative experience and wont fly US again. They will take it very personnally. Like it or not, this is a huge, damaging blow to US. I dont like it, but Im not unrealistic enough to underestimate the psychological impact of people being stuck together sleeping in an airport fighting with one another instead of being with their families.

700UW said:
80 people out of 10,000, sorry jack that ain't gonna happen, it was not a union sanctioned job action.

You people want greyhound fares and QE2 service, you can't have both, it is catching up now.
[post="232501"][/post]​
Not sure where you went to school - 700UW, but your math skills or lack thereof SUCK!!

GadgetFreak said:
I think that the majority of passengers that were badly effected by this will not fly US again and cutting fares wont matter much at all. There are a couple reasons why I think this is true.

1) If you would ask 100 people that fly Southwest why they chose Southwest over US I would guess 80 or 90 of them would say that it is because they are treated better by the employees. People like that will not be flying US is they were involved in this.

2) Many people who werent involved in this saw the pictures and wont buy a ticket on US at any price as a result. They dont want to take the risk of sleeping in the airport.

3) Given the way I, and I think many others make decisions about airlines, I dont look at EVERY airline, but a few that I like for whatever reason. People like that wont even see that US has cheaper prices given that type of decision making.

4) It is arguable (and has been explained as being this way by more than one UA employee) that the US summer of hell was the single most damaging thing to UA that resulted in their Ch11. While AA and others were building up cash pre Sept 11, UA was still trying to recover from the summer of hell and the lost revenue that summer and in subsequent months as a lot of flyers no longer flew UA. Whether they recover is yet unknown, but it hurt them very badly and US cant survive that kind of a loss at this point in time.

In my case I had a similar Christmas experience with AA. It was largely weather induced, much more than in this case with US. But I thought that AA handled it very badly, gave wrong information, lost our bags for days, etc. It caused a huge amount of personal stress and misery and it is probably true to say had a substantial negative impact on my life for years. Basically it great exacerbated the whole Christmas tension thing to an intolerable point that one year. So I promised myself I wouldnt fly AA again. I broke the promise a few times, maybe 5 or at the outside 10. It I couldnt fly on anyone else or for a few other reasons. Maybe once or twice over cost but Im not sure about that. If it was cost it wouldnt have been a few dollars. Maybe a few hundred but Im not even sure about that. I finally started flying AA again in 2003. I had for years been flying 200,000 miles per year or more on other carriers. But I figured since the original incident was in 1982 the people involved had probably retired so I could fly AA again. I think Im not too atypical A very sizable number of these customers wont be back; ever, at any price.

I really want US to survive. And I am trying to work up the courage to buy some tickets on them for January. But it is tough. I am afraid it is very likely that these couple hundred employees have ended it. I dont see a recovery from this point. And I dont think it will be long to see it. Basically US was counting on the profits from the holidays to provide the cash to last until summer (coupled with the employee concessions). This disruption and the combination of costs to repair it (baggage deliver, etc) and the lost revenue due to it in this coming winter seem to be nonrecoverable to me. I hope Im wrong and everyone gets to give me a nasty "I told you so".
[post="233040"][/post]​
And, Southwest ALWAYS gets you there and generally ON TIME!!

balloonguy said:
Not sure where you went to school - 700UW, but your math skills or lack thereof SUCK!!
[post="233105"][/post]​
Your knowledge of how many IAM members at US Airways -SUCK!

There are approxiamtly 10,000 IAM Members at US Airways.

There three differant contracts that represent them.

80 rampers in PHL out of 10,000 members.

Get a clue.

PitBull,

How can you try and say that sick calls were not a major contributer to this. Who cares what Christmas sick calls were last year, like that is a license to burn sicktime this year.

I flew 24/25/26 and I am out on a trip now. I would like to have been home with my 6 year-old, but I will not pull this kind of crap, especially on a holiday, DUH.

US Airways should be able to depend on its workforce within reason, having a higher sickcall history on Christmas is major crap.

The judge will consider this, the creditors, your neighbors, etc. They look at this group as a bunch of spoiled whiners, and they are right!

Shame on you for any attempt to justify this crap!

PITbull said:
Roach,

AFA sick calls were less than 10 from last xmas eve's numbers, and also xmas day. Today, was 40 higher, but NO cancellations.

Go figure.

If the number of sick calls from last year to this year are basically the same in total, (and last year there were no crew cancellations) then mangment failed to consider the attrition rate for 2004 and put this in the equation of holiday coverage, or lack there of. I don't expect the company to "recall" f/as for 4 days of the year, however, giving incentives that they can pay out months later (which was suggested last year), would maybe have cut the losses, consumer confidence spiral even by 30%, that would have been successful.

That just didn't happen, and I call this poor planning.

But blaming this on labor is typical. I know the figures from last year, as I had written them down. And I made it my business to call c/s to get the numbers for this holiday.

Blaming this on the rank in file, is just a managment excuse who didn't plan well.

Nonetheless, pointing fingers will not change consumer confidence. And this company has to find a solution with labor together, or shut the lights.
[post="232506"][/post]​

RWerksman said:
index_flashholder.jpg

Everytime I see this picture it reminds me of a time in college where some dude (who ironically looked somewhat this guy) asked me to, "go shoot up" with him.

Seriously, who picked this retarded marketing concept?
[post="233003"][/post]​
Are you sure this guy isn't Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols?

UseYourHead said:
PitBull,
The judge will consider this, the creditors, your neighbors, etc. They look at this group as a bunch of spoiled whiners, and they are right!
Shame on you for any attempt to justify this crap!
[post="233162"][/post]​
Hey why don't use your screen name?

The judge CANNOT use anything that happened in making his decision. The hearings and testimony are over, unless the AFA rejects their T/A. ExParte Communications and events are not allowed to be factored in to his decision. TV and Newspaper articles are not testimony in court.

GadgetFreak said:
I think that the majority of passengers that were badly effected by this will not fly US again and cutting fares wont matter much at all. There are a couple reasons why I think this is true....

[post="233040"][/post]​

Gadget -

Despite your lengthy explanation, I must wholeheartedly disagree. I've been in this industry well over 25 years and one of the things I have learned through experience is that the one thing shorter than a New-York-second is the memory span of leisure travellers when it comes to bad experiences (especially when price is involved.) There will be a very few like you who will remember, but they will be offset by the very few who remember their last awful trip on NW, or DA, or SW, or CO, etc. and come fly USAirways.

But I will grant you that your argument, as well as mine, are likely moot. Poor management for the last 15+ years at USAir(ways) has placed this company in a position from which it cannot survive barring a true miracle. Of course, miracles can and do happen all the time, but I'm just not planning on this particular miracle ever taking place.

FM2436 said:
Are you sure this guy isn't Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols?
[post="233167"][/post]​

There was a show on PBS a couple years ago that was a history of punk music. Very amusing. They showed some guy in a smoking jacket in the library of his baronial mansion in Devon or someplace like that in England. The caption appeared under him that said "John Lydon (aka "Johnny Rotten")". I laughed my ass off. Although more recently he has reverted more to past form in the interest of some of his commercial activities such as a reality tv show. In his most recent iteration he does in fact resemble Seth http://www.johnlydon.com/jlhome.html . I suspect his reality show will be more commercially successful than Seths efforts.