Response To Mr. Boyd

Feb 7, 2004
A friend emailed me her letter to Mr. Boyd. She has given me permission to post it. I have excluded her name to protect her sanity! :p

Mr. Boyd,

As a former employee for US and a current reader of your article (US Airways - One Small Job Action And A Giant Leap Toward Obscurity), I am surprised by your lack of knowledge about this management team, and their less than honest appraisal of the Christmas travel problems at this company. It was simple to blame the problems on the employees and divert any attention from mismanagement. It is also par for US management’s course. I would not expect the public to be aware of this, but I do expected you to look a little deeper. The company spokes people went from blaming weather, to blaming the employees. Which was it?

Though I am sure there may be employees that called off sick when in fact they were not, that is common over the holidays in every industry. The real problem comes in when management is either not aware of that problem, or is aware but refuses to staff properly to offset the problem. With the many furloughs that have occurred in the past, and the amount of people that have left through attrition or because they are just plain fed up, it should come as no surprise to anyone in management that a staffing problem not only could, but would occur. They were told as much by the various union leaders on the property, and here is why:

Most airlines, this one included, offer “vacation buy back†over the holiday months, and have done so for years. Employees take advantage of that opportunity to earn the extra money to pay off their Christmas bills. It allows an employee to work over days that have been scheduled as vacation days, without incurring any overtime pay for the company. It provides a cushion to the company that protects schedule if there is a staff shortage or weather problems. It is also a non cost item, and therefore a no brainer. Unfortunately, this company specifically said that they would not offer vacation buy back for the month of December because they believed that they could force the employees to work the extra five hours a month that Judge Mitchell agreed to allow. They only offered the “buy back†when it became apparent to them that the staffing level was critical and that the five additional hours per employee was not sufficient to cover the operation. On Christmas Eve a frantic message came out from management stating that the buy back was now in effect. Unfortunately, those that looked forward to the buy back to offset the steep cuts imposed by the judge, and would have gladly scheduled themselves to work that time back, were either not at home to take advantage of the late offer, or did not get wind of it until after it was too late.

What you also failed to address, or perhaps are not aware of, was the extraordinary efforts of those employees that went the extra mile for the passengers. I am speaking of employees with many years of seniority, who called Scheduling to offer their time over the holidays so that schedules would not deteriorate further. Every employee at US knew that with the tremendous amount of layoffs we have experienced, there was going to be a problem. We know that the layoffs have been too extreme to help us over hurdles such as weather delays, mechanicals, and the increased sick calls over the holidays. The vast majority did what they have always done best….provide the best level of service possible, IN SPITE of mismanagement.

To your credit, you did indeed place the blame where it rightfully belongs when it comes to the lack of morale in the workforce. Squarely in managements lap! For many years we were trained to be professionals. We were expected to act professionally at all times, and anything less was not tolerated by management or our fellow employees. Our own belief in our self worth allowed us to pull out all of the stops when necessary, to keep the operation running smoothly regardless of the obstacles. However, over the last several years we have been trained to believe that we are replaceable within 24 hours. We have been told repeatedly that we could be replaced by any entry level untrained employee off the streets. We have been reminded over, and over again that we are a now liability, due to our seniority and the higher pay that comes with it. We have been badgered by the mantra the “you are overpaid!†We have watched employees come off of the streets at the lower pay, we have watched them work a couple of shifts, and we have seen nothing but their backs as they have walked, no, run away from the job. This Christmas was nothing more than a self fulfilling prophesy; Perpetuated and nurtured by US Airways management.

None of this is an excuse for intentionally calling off sick when in fact you aren’t sick. That has yet to be proven. I believe most of the employees at US Airways to be truly sick. Sick of the constant missteps by management, sick of the daily job insecurity, sick of the cuts in pay that have occurred prior to the Christmas holidays for the last couple of years, and the most recent 21% cut in pay imposed by the judge. Sick about being unable to meet their own financial responsibilities, sick at heart about the 24 million that went to the executive’s pension plans just one week prior to this last bankruptcy. Sick over the looming loss of their pensions while so many upper management talking heads stay for a few years and then leave with a thirty year pension, generous stock options, and obscene bonuses. Sick of the squandering of the past deep concessions, sick of the punitive treatment by management after obtaining those concession. Sick of the lack of respect shown to employee groups that have given far more monetarily than any debtor. The employees are the debtor in possession financiers of the company and yet they are treated like carrion. Then to top it all off, they are told if they do not like what is happening at their company, they should simply leave.
And yes, Mr. Boyd, they are sick of it all!

So, before casting another stone in the direction of the employees, please remember what they have given to this company, in total. The company has taken more than their pound of flesh and the last thing the employees need is salt poured into the wound! Before you take the word of Mr. Chaimes, keep in mind that this is the same man that stated that US had no intention of closing the Pittsburgh base, no intention of outsourcing jobs, no intention of seeking another bankruptcy, no intention of dropping below the 279 mainline aircraft, and he initially blamed the weather for the Christmas fiasco, just to name a few of his public gaffes and obvious untruths. The employees at US could use just a modicum of respect. That would be a novelty for them, as it is something that has been sorely lacking from the upper management at US, regardless of what lengths the employees go to keep this company viable. It would be nice if just once, the whole story was told. Not just the version that is fed to the media by upper management.

I don't think Boyd let U executives off-the-hook. He's repeatedly pointed out what a buffoonish lot they are and how they're vainly attempting to compensate for their incompetence by slashing employees' compensation.

It's plain that the holiday problems that plagued U were clearly foreseeable by anyone with half a brain. I think what Boyd was saying is that management has made staffing and morale is at such critically low levels that the remaining workers have to put out 150 percent just to keep the operation going. What Lakefield and his lunkheads in the executive suite fail to recognize is that with the contract abrogations, there's an awlful lot of people at U that will be screwed so badly that they have absolutely nothing to loose.

Maybe the senior people that don't mind throwing lots of their fellow union members out of the lifeboat should have bid to work the holidays instead of sitting home and taking a chance on the junior, soon-to-be-furloughed, scum to show up for work.

I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again; who cares who is to blame?? The damage is done. If you think airline passengers are going to say to themselves; "Well eventhough Usairways ruined my childrens Christmas, since it was eveil managements fault and not those hardworking down-trodden employees, I think I will give them another chance. I will book them again for my next vaction." If you think this is the case you are delusional. The flying public doesnt care who did it-the employees ARE Usairways to them. The general public is not interested in management-union spats. Never have been and never will be. So casting blame is a moot point. The employees did their part in hammering a nail in there own coffin. Until this fact is accepted it is doubtful there will be a turnaround if it is not too late already. I just find it amazing that so many people are still posting here, beating their chest saying, "It's not our fault." Nobody cares.

You have to care who is to blame.

Do you want a General Custard leading the troops into battle?

You have to assign blame to ensure it does not happen again and take the appropriate steps to correct the problems.

700UW said:
Do you want a General Custard leading the troops into battle?

You have to assign blame to ensure it does not happen again and take the appropriate steps to correct the problems.
[post="232630"][/post]​
Its much to late for General Custard and Im afraid its to late for US Airways... its over my friend.

While this is obviously a heartfelt letter, and there are some valid points there to be made, there is something very wrong with trying to twist this into yet another "blame management for all of our problems" scenario. Normally, I'm pretty supportive of labor at this airline and in most businesses (see many of my previous posts, if you're interested), however, this sickout was inexcusible and completely indefensible ---- and no, management didn't make anyone stage an illegal job action, which this most certainly was.

Management didn't decide to ruin holiday vacations for tens of thousands of paying passengers.

Management didn't decide to screw over the thousands of employees who were conscientious enough to show up to do their jobs.

This was the act of cowards in the ranks of the employees - not management; people who didn't work through their union, people who didn't work through the legal process; people who simply decided they were fed up with all of the horrible things that have happened to this industry, this airline and themselves personally. In their understandable frustration, they stupidly decided to lash out to hurt the company AND as many people as possible.

Now, instead of placing the blame squarely where it belongs (with the hundreds and hundreds who called in sick), you're saying blame management. That's nonsense! Whether you want to believe it or not, US Airways is a company that's on the edge of a cliff and some of your co-workers seem to be determined to push it over. Shame on everyone who took part in this, and thank you to everyone else who worked through the weekend to help as many people as they could under impossible circumstances.

this is usairways fault.....

usairways is responsible for what happened over Christmas.

usairways is responsible for what ever happens over new years weekend.

the difference is that management can choose to mobilze now for
new years weekend,
our psgrs require presence of management from lakefield to crellin ,etc etc,
this weekend ,feet on the ground at phl,dca,lga etc etc

this is why they are paid the big bucks,

its crisis management

Very well said, Cold. This is a very well written letter. My only suggestion is that instead of focusing on the wrongs that have been committed against US employees in your “sickâ€￾ paragraph, you focus on how the lives of US employees have been irreparably harmed. Talk about the increase in physical and mental ailments (you may have better statistics but there have been published reports that say that airline employee illnesses and doctor visits are much higher due to the stress) as well as the increase in personal bankruptcies and divorces – both indications that the toll on US employees is very high indeed. I think you need to send the letter to Norman Mineta at the Department of Transportation as well as the Chairs of the Aviation Committees in both houses of Congress. You might even want to copy in some of the media outlets that are reporting how bad things are for US passengers. Some of you that are web savvy might even want to create a website with responses to what has happened from US employees – even if it has to be anonymous in order to protect your current jobs. Since USAviation is not now accessible to the public, many people in the media and the general public cannot hear your story.

Your story does need to be told. Remember that Frank Lorenzo was banned from the airline industry because of his inability to manage his airline. There is a very real possibility that some of the management at US will choose to pursue careers at other airlines in the industry. You may gain a small modicum of satisfaction if some of those execs have a black asterisk next to their name as having participated in the demise of USAirways. Granted, the story is long and the process has been lead by many people but the ones at the helm when the ship goes down (and that could be soon by all estimations) bear perhaps the greatest responsibility; at least if they recognized what really happened, they should be telling it.

Further, while I don’t think blame games are overly productive in any aspect of life, the US government’s investigation of USAirways and Comair is an attempt to assign blame. It is only fair that the government understand both of these situations completely. As you know, US employees are the only ones that can ultimately stand up for their interests.

It is very sad for me to watch from the outside what you folks are going through. I am very empathetic to the investment you have made in the company and how it is falling apart in front of you. You owe it to yourselves and your mental health to share your perspectives and your stories.

If there is any possibilty of a repeat of baggage or ramp problems in PHL the leadership might want to think about pulling one ramp agent from each station and have them in PHL ready to go. Get with the airport authority now to work out security issues and have extra ramp supervisors oversee what is going on. Can this leadership be pro active on this and not wait until the problem has been going on for several days before addressing it. The flight attendant shortage issue should be addressed before this weekend also. I agree that every middle manager up to the CEO should be at an airport and I don't mean Nassau.

Be pro active once, you might find it works.

WorldTraveler said:
Further, while I don’t think blame games are overly productive in any aspect of life, the US government’s investigation of USAirways and Comair is an attempt to assign blame. It is only fair that the government understand both of these situations completely. As you know, US employees are the only ones that can ultimately stand up for their interests.
[post="232639"][/post]​
It will be interesting to hear Mineta's findings of his so-called investigation. It would be funny to hear the Secretary has determined Comair's problems were attributed to a computer crash and all airlines should do away with their computer systems to ensure a similar problem doesn't happen again. With regards to US Airways, wouldn't it be funny to hear the Secretary has determined US Airways problems were a combination of bad weather and a damaging percentage of employees simply calling in sick and not bothering to show up for work. Then Norman could ban all bad weather and employee sick leave to ensure a similar problem doesn't happen again.

Mineta's investigation is nothing more than showboating.

planeirish said:
If there is any possibilty of a repeat of baggage or ramp problems in PHL the leadership might want to think about pulling one ramp agent from each station and have them in PHL ready to go. Get with the airport authority now to work out security issues and have extra ramp supervisors oversee what is going on. Can this leadership be pro active on this and not wait until the problem has been going on for several days before addressing it. The flight attendant shortage issue should be addressed before this weekend also. I agree that every middle manager up to the CEO should be at an airport and I don't mean Nassau.

Be pro active once, you might find it works.
[post="232643"][/post]​

On sending people from other stations, I wondered that myself. Any amount of people would have been an asset to helping. After taking bag claim after bag claim I was ready to go sift through the mountain to find bags. We are an airline, we run 365 days a week, that should go for management too.

evprincess said:
We are an airline, we run 365 days a week, that should go for management too.
[post="232657"][/post]​

I often wondered also why those Exec's in CCY never saw that. Its amazing how they can take a long 5 day week end over the holidays, while the ship is sinking, and then have Lakefield say he's "Dumb Founded" when the mess in PHL unfolds. This is proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that management is so far out of the loop of reality with labor. I dont agree with the actions those who chose to call in sick, and I certainly don't appreciate having to clean up the mess afterwards, but I understand their frustrations. Work ethics and self respect can not be forced onto someone, but a little appreciation and respect from management can go a long way. Something this company long ago forgot.

Flying Titan said:
While this is obviously a heartfelt letter, and there are some valid points there to be made, there is something very wrong with trying to twist this into yet another "blame management for all of our problems" scenario. Normally, I'm pretty supportive of labor at this airline and in most businesses (see many of my previous posts, if you're interested), however, this sickout was inexcusible and completely indefensible ---- and no, management didn't make anyone stage an illegal job action, which this most certainly was.

Management didn't decide to ruin holiday vacations for tens of thousands of paying passengers.

Management didn't decide to screw over the thousands of employees who were conscientious enough to show up to do their jobs.

This was the act of cowards in the ranks of the employees - not management; people who didn't work through their union, people who didn't work through the legal process; people who simply decided they were fed up with all of the horrible things that have happened to this industry, this airline and themselves personally. In their understandable frustration, they stupidly decided to lash out to hurt the company AND as many people as possible.

Now, instead of placing the blame squarely where it belongs (with the hundreds and hundreds who called in sick), you're saying blame management. That's nonsense! Whether you want to believe it or not, US Airways is a company that's on the edge of a cliff and some of your co-workers seem to be determined to push it over. Shame on everyone who took part in this, and thank you to everyone else who worked through the weekend to help as many people as they could under impossible circumstances.
[post="232632"][/post]​

Bravo, excellent post, how insightful. However, I guess the truth always is.

As a non-US stakeholder, I'm not sure I know who to believe but I’m sure not ready to lay the blame for what happened solely at the feet of even a couple hundred employees. I have every reason to believe US was stretched well beyond its staffing long before the first call was received. I don’t know if there was abuse but if it did occur out it has been expected for a long time on not only US but at least also UA and AA according to postings on this board. I am aware that sick calls in 24X7 operations (not just airlines) increase around the holidays so management should have been somewhat prepared. The weather has been horrific and, despite everyone’s wishes to the contrary, air traffic is dramatically affected by the weather.

I don’t know what actually caused the US operational meltdown. It’s a lot easier to understand what happened at Comair although it doesn’t necessarily explain what could have been done to minimize difficulties.

Before people crucify the 300 or so employees who called in sick, there needs to be an understanding of all the factors that contributed to the problems this weekend and how much each contributed. I simply am not willing to believe that any one of the factors, including the uncoordinated actions of several hundred people could have created the problems that occurred.

I doubt if any actionable conclusions will be reached but even if they were, US may be history by that time – and not solely because of what happened this past weekend.

Latest posts