British Airways CEO praises DL, CEO

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
Walsh acknowledged the competition from Delta, though it came with admiration for Delta CEO Richard Anderson, who has earned praise for leading Delta through its merger with Northwest and restoring stability to the carrier.

"I think he has done an incredible job with Delta," Walsh says. "I like his style. I like his attitude. I like the focus that he has brought to Delta.

"He does things that the rest of us would never think about," Walsh says, pointing to "the acquisition of Trainer the oil refinery" outside Philadelphia.

That "was something that I don't think anybody else would have thought about. It shows that the guy is brave with his decision making. (Anderson) is probably is the star of the U.S. industry at the moment, if not the global industry

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/10/british-airways-us-growth-airline-mergers/6258877/

he also says that the DL partnership with Virgin Atlantic will make them a less emotional and more rational competitor.

Reactions: 1 person
Willie Walsh always hated VS.  

BA also knows how to operate a cargo division professionally and profitably.

I had hoped that post-bankruptcy DL would get smart about cargo.  But no.

Other than Tony shutting down the freighters I don't know anything DL has done smart with cargo.  

I posted the article here because of the part about DL. If you would like to comment on the AA part of the article here or repost it and discuss Walsh's view of AA, that is fine with me.

It shows that Walsh is capable of recognizing the contributions of a competitor's CEO even if they are a fierce competitor.

I have repeatedly noted the positives of AA's current CEO.  I haven't seen too many people on here who have been able to do the same thing.

I've said it before, but this whole cult of personality surrounding Anderson is getting to be a bit much. I wonder how long it'll be before every station has a large portrait of him smiling down on them?

hah.... you know he sits on the 2nd floor of mahogany row just so those at the GO can bow as they pass, don't you?  There is a scenic lookout directly in front of his office on the main drive that goes down the middle of the GO.  :) :)

You know who compensation committees are composed of? It just wouldn't do to make a habit of criticizing those who can affect your future earnings potential in the executive suites

Kev3188 said:
I've said it before, but this whole cult of personality surrounding Anderson is getting to be a bit much. I wonder how long it'll be before every station has a large portrait of him smiling down on them?
Is this part of the "Delta Values" that he goes on endlessly about? I mean from an outsider perspective it almost seems as though DL is proselytizing their employees to only believe DL is the very best and every flight I take there is a cover with RA and scenes from Tech Opps, OCC, etc. I get that any company wants an engaged workforce but the DL culture seems to be a bit much for me.

Josh

he's a successful business exec.  There is no worship, shrine, or scenic turnout in the GO.

DL had one of the highest percentage increases of its stock price among large American companies.

That in itself will get the attention of a lot of people.  

DL is also running a successful business.

That is why BA's CEO commented.  I doubt very seriously that he, I, or any other employee has any desire to worship Anderson nor does Anderson want it.  

that you for the respect.  can you share some examples?  I may well be surprised

Latest posts