Bronner Pulled The Plug On Siegel

Getting fired from a $600,000/yr is not a whole lot different that getting fired from Wendy's it's just that the words are softer, but you are no less fired.

Yeah, and you walk away with four and a half million.

PineyBob said:
Afterall, suppose you are looking for a job and the company offers you one at about $10,000 LESS than you desire. You say. "I need $10,000 more to come to work for you" Hiring Manager frowns and replies, "If I do that you'll be making more than some who have been here 20 years. you reply "I'm good at what I do and I'd love to work for your company and I've told you what I need" Hiring manager says, "OK, but keep it quiet"
Can't happen in a union shop where the only thing that matters is your seniority...

TomBascom said:
Can't happen in a union shop where the only thing that matters is your seniority...
Another anti-union person.

You haters need to educate yourselves on how unions helped the working class, but you dont because it is easier to hate then educate.

The AFL-CIO has done more good for more people than any (other) group in America in its legislative efforts. It doesn't just try to do something about wages and hours for its own people. No group in the country works harder in the interests of everyone.
President Lyndon Johnson, 1965

As long as there are such trade unionists, labor will be opposed by those who seek to portray workers and their unions as separate entities-referring to unions as an unneeded 'third force,' just as the diehard segregationists falsely labeled civil rights organizations as 'outside agitators.'
George Meany, 1979

Our labor unions are not narrow, self-seeking groups. They have raised wages, shortened hours, and provided supplemental benefits. Through collective bargaining and grievance procedures, they have brought justice and democracy to the shop floor.
President John F. Kennedy, 1962

700UW said:
Another anti-union person.

You haters need to educate yourselves on how unions helped the working class, but you dont because it is easier to hate then educate.
[/b]
In this case, my only point was that a situation such as that described by Piney couldn't happen in a union shop. If you really wanted to stretch things I suppose you could infer that I might have been implying that all union members are therefore completely out of touch with the concept of pay for merit but I didn't say that and I don't think that -- I only think that certain union members are unable to graple with that concept. In my mind they happen to be the same union members who think that sick time is an entitlement. But that really wasn't the point.

BTW, I've paid union dues in my time.

TomBascom said:
BTW, I've paid union dues in my time.
Paying dues only makes you a member of a union, not a union member.

Piney says"It's not a hate thing. I posted what I did so that life long union workers who work on a seniority system might understand that there is a different way of doing things in a non-union realm."

Bob I was not talking about you.

But it is well documented that unions have done far more good then bad.

Today in a America, unions have a secure place in our industrial life. Only a handful of reactionaries harbor the ugly thought of breaking unions and depriving working men and women of the right to join the union of their choice. I have no use for those-regardless of their political party-who hold some vain and foolish dream of spinning the clock back to the days when organized labor was huddled, almost as a helpless mass.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

I just keep remembering something Dave said... "I WILL BE THE LAST CEO OF USAIRWAYS". :eek:

Well, I guess that means the doors are shut. <_<

I find it hard to believe that Seigel had to be asked to leave. If I was at a fork in the road where I had the same options as Seigel (i.e. $4.5mil or continue to fight the unions at a dying airline, where I have lost the trust of everyone, and have a plan of sham the employees until I can sell the airline and/or assets) I would definitely take the $4.5mil and find myself on a beach in the caribbean for a few months.

So, it looks like Seigel wasn't as smart as I gave him credit for. I view his choice as a simple one, and like many others, he would have made the wrong choice. If I were in Dave Seigel's shoes, I'd have resigned April 2 (Not April 1, no April Fools Joke).