Us Airways Workers Expecting Concessions

A319FA

Apr 7, 2003
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As US Airways Chief Executive Officer David Siegel meets today with hundreds of company managers to stress the need for as much as $300 million in cost cuts, rank-and-file workers worry they will be asked to bear the brunt yet again.

See Story
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03350/251759.stm

No concessions, none, nothing, nada, nyet!

Can you understand that HAWK!

tell mgmt that we are thru and I mean we'e absolutely thru giving back! If they cant make some 2 million in give backs work to get the airline flying, then obviously it is NOT THE PAYCUTS that is failing the airline. Rather it is mgmt.
IT is HIGH time that mgmt gives back a full 100% of their pays. 20% aint enough from the gangsters of ccy!

I'm interested to see how the ATSB is looking at our situation. They lend us all that money and our Management does know how to use it, they just lose it.

I for one refuse to give anything more to this company.

When they have TWO ramp agents working a B757 Charter with 10,000lbs
of cargo, they can just kiss my A$$!!!!!!

Hope777 said:
I'm interested to see how the ATSB is looking at our situation. They lend us all that money and our Management does know how to use it, they just lose it.
Just to be accurate, the ATSB lent US nothing. All they did was guarantee loans that were provided by "regular" banks.

I do apologize for the 2 million mistake. Oh and lets not forget about how the company's inept mgmt also outsourced a number of stations from mainline to mainline express crap and sliced numberous jobs as well. has anyone ever noticed how those incompetent mgmt never take the layoffs and severe paycuts??

robbedagain said:
and sliced numberous jobs as well. has anyone ever noticed how those incompetent mgmt never take the layoffs and severe paycuts??
Uhhh, drop by CCY and you'll find hundreds that took severe paycuts and witnessed their co-workers get laid off. You need to better define "management" when you say something like this.

and sliced numberous jobs as well. has anyone ever noticed how those incompetent mgmt never take the layoffs and severe paycuts??

Uhhh, drop by CCY and you'll find hundreds that took severe paycuts and witnessed their co-workers get laid off. You need to better define "management" when you say something like this.

Main Entry: man·age·ment
Pronunciation: 'ma-nij-m&nt
Function: noun
Date: 1598
1 : the act or art of managing : the conducting or supervising of something (as a business)
2 : judicious use of means to accomplish an end
3 : the collective body of those who manage or direct an enterprise
- man·age·men·tal /"ma-nij-'men-t&l/ adjective

During BK didnt middle management get a bonus while the rest of the employees were either getting furloughed or taking severe pay cuts?

I cant speak for the rest of the system but here in LA they just hired ANOTHER foreman/supervisor.

usflyer: How many of their jobs went to the express style pay of a crappy 13.01 an hr!? as far as I'm concerned they have done nothing but shaving off employees' paycuts while thriving with wonderful mansions being built or already built in the carribbean! I dont want to hear the bull crap of them taking severe paycuts when we the employees have suffered 4 times worse

robbedagain said:
usflyer: How many of their jobs went to the express style pay of a crappy 13.01 an hr!? as far as I'm concerned they have done nothing but shaving off employees' paycuts while thriving with wonderful mansions being built or already built in the carribbean! I dont want to hear the bull crap of them taking severe paycuts when we the employees have suffered 4 times worse
Yeah, ok, but there are lots of hard working, in the trenches folks who work in CCY. You cannot possibly lump the pricing analysts, sales team, schedulers, IT folks, etc. in the same category as executive management. I know some folks who also had to pick up second jobs yet they work in the much maligned CCY. All I ask is you separate the six figure jobs from the day-to-day jobs. It takes more than F/As, airport staff, mechanics and pilots to keep the ship running.

USFlyer said:
Many of the employees at U have seen staffing levels cut severely on the labor and management side. This cannot be said of all departments and stations.
With the line maintenance operation at the terminal at PIT cut in half and the aircraft remaining overnight for maintenance seeing the same decline, PIT line maintenance management staffing levels remain the same if not at a increase over management levels during our busiest days before BK or 9-11.
Most of the duties accomplished by line maint. management could be accomplished by a temp clerk making much less. With managements technical knowledge at a all time low, why pay such salaries to those who must go to the mechanic or lead mechanic for answers ?
A clerk is more than qualified to check paperwork for mistakes and ask a employee if he or she feels better after a absence due to illness.
Lead mechanics are more than qualified to make technical decisions pertaining to aircraft maintenance.
This is what I see where I work, and I can't see how changing our work rules, cutting our pay, cutting our benefits is going to help save this airline with many other flaws in the day to day running of this airline that are never addressed.

linemech said:
Many of the employees at U have seen staffing levels cut severely on the labor and management side. This cannot be said of all departments and stations.
With the line maintenance operation at the terminal at PIT cut in half and the aircraft remaining overnight for maintenance seeing the same decline, PIT line maintenance management staffing levels remain the same if not at a increase over management levels during our busiest days before BK or 9-11.
Most of the duties accomplished by line maint. management could be accomplished by a temp clerk making much less. With managements technical knowledge at a all time low, why pay such salaries to those who must go to the mechanic or lead mechanic for answers ?
A clerk is more than qualified to check paperwork for mistakes and ask a employee if he or she feels better after a absence due to illness.
Lead mechanics are more than qualified to make technical decisions pertaining to aircraft maintenance.
This is what I see where I work, and I can't see how changing our work rules, cutting our pay, cutting our benefits is going to help save this airline with many other flaws in the day to day running of this airline that are never addressed.
linemech,

I easily find myself supporting your views on the new-found management types since the post 9-11-1 cutbacks.

In many cases we are seeing some former "Junior" mechanics returning to the U ranks as Foremen and even Managers. While I'm happy to see people returning to gain-full employment..I'm at times equally un-impressed with their skills and overall knowledge of their supposed needs and craft.

I find a disperportionate amount of my time teaching over the phone on the complexities of how to use the Merlin computer system. I'm not a trainer..nor am I paid as one...but it's the only method know to keep the same offenders tying up all my time and that of my co-workers on the AOG desk.

Many of these folks do not know how to seperate a search for High Dollar Rotable Parts from that of Expendable Class Control items. Many times PIT Line MT itself has requested and acted upon robbing Heavy Maintenance Acft to support Line Acft..when the part was in PIT stores all along. ...or could be obtained from an out station without hindering ETR or busting a flight.

This is a failure on the training these folks recieve..or fail to recieve to be accurate. ...Yet they are drawing salaries indicative of knowledgable and seasoned leaders....which they never were to begin with.

I only wish I operated on a bonus system that rewarded me for everytime I stopped a foolish move taking place...or prevented it to begin with. My retirement from the IAM would prove not to be even a significant need if so.

Keep in mind...this is not all our Foremen or Managers..or PIT specifically...nor is it just the junior furloughee's we re-hired ..they just happen to be a few of the standout examples that come to mind....the problem across the board boils down to a lack of training...and training should be an upper management focal point , Yet it is not !!!