Buddy Pass / Companion Ticket

Archie now that RA is running Amtrak maybe DGS will come and take Union jobs at South Station, Back Bay Station, Route 128 as a pilot with the ok from Gov Baker. The Amtrak unions are social fraternities compared to your counterparts in Germany, Japan or the U.K. where they can shut everything down and enjoy rich CBAs and job protection Amtrak unions can only dream of!

Josh

There's a certain amount of truth to what your saying Josh.
Look at it this way. Places like BOS, NYC/Penn, PHL, WAS, CHI, LAX,OAK, Wilmington DE. (maint), Beech Grove, IN. (maint.), SEA will ALWAYS be UNIONIZED, just like (for AA), mostly the same cities. The Trick is (And I DID it with Amtrak, and AA), get firmly planted in one of those huge operations, as I did in ORD/CHI !!

Heh. Right. Assuming Janus gets a ruling the way people are expecting SCOTUS to rule, there's not much standing to keep compulsory union shops under the RLA. If/when that happens, there's a good chance that both Beech Grove and Wilmington go the way of airline overhaul bases.

xUT, you're not exactly correct about United and IT. Some of the stuff like desktop support and helpdesk were outsourced, but they still have a lot of real IT jobs that are in house. I've got a lot of friends who work for UA in roles ranging from network engineering to developers. I think they even manage the new data center UA built at EXO when the offices moved to Sears Tower.

To the OP... find a job with UPS Airline. They're based in SDF, and they get industry flight discount benefits plus the ability to ride the UPS freighter jumpseats.

Heh. Right. Assuming Janus gets a ruling the way people are expecting SCOTUS to rule, there's not much standing to keep compulsory union shops under the RLA. If/when that happens, there's a good chance that both Beech Grove and Wilmington go the way of airline overhaul bases.

xUT, you're not exactly correct about United and IT. Some of the stuff like desktop support and helpdesk were outsourced, but they still have a lot of real IT jobs that are in house. I've got a lot of friends who work for UA in roles ranging from network engineering to developers. I think they even manage the new data center UA built at EXO when the offices moved to Sears Tower.

To the OP... find a job with UPS Airline. They're based in SDF, and they get industry flight discount benefits plus the ability to ride the UPS freighter jumpseats.

Do they (UPS) allow non certificated employees to ride the jumpseat?

Freighters typically have a few jumpseats located inside the main cabin door, outside the cockpit.

Freighters typically have a few jumpseats located inside the main cabin door, outside the cockpit.

You are correct. However, the reason I ask is I know FedEx doesn't allow it anymore for personal use for most employees unless you hold an FAA certificate and it has to be required in your job function doesn't matter if the seats are outside the cockpit. They changed it after 9/11. Was curious if UPS had the same policy.

No airline employee (who is sane) would ever give a buddy pass to anyone they do not know. As an employee I am personally responsible for the behavior of anyone traveling on a buddy pass I have given to them. And, to sell a buddy pass to someone is a termination offense at most airlines.

Thank you for your response.

This is all the previous poster had to say as I was unaware of what exactly it was.

@jimntx

As an airline employee do you get free airline flights?

I work full time at Managed Service Provider as a Cisco Engineer (work from home, so I can travel) , but might consider a part time job at an airline if that is a perk.

Lampmanjosh,
While reading this article today on a United employee getting fired for the way someone used their passes made me think of this thread. We are held at such a high standard for the use of our passes. There are several different ways to handle when issues arise with termination, of course, being one of the big ones, and of course charges, as well as prison time as the extreme, which was the case for an X-employee at my airline who was stealing the passes from her employer and handing them out to her hubby's co-workers in exchange for $ and favors thru the courts, judges, and attorneys.
My example below is where the person using the airline employee passes were for something for his own gain, in this case I do believe he profited thru his work while using said passes. Just a huge reason why you will never see one of us hand one of these over to a complete stranger. Just thought this would give you a better perspective of why we don't do it. Good luck with your searches for cheaper travels, but maybe the rail or bus lines are an option.

Former United worker says he was fired for letting Paul Wall use his buddy passes

Reading the Paul Wall saga, the employee knew Wall personally, so it's not a matter of him being a stranger, but a matter of him (Wall) being stupid. He was tweeting nasties about United, and United figured out that he was on a buddy pass...

Dumb. You take responsibility for your buddies. That's why I never gave them out to anyone I couldn't influence (e.g. kids, siblings).