But It's Cost Effective

AMFAMAN

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
FURPVILLE
I have heard a report that our 2 day old contractor for DFW overnight cabin service has done at least $5 million in damage to a 757. Yeah the old contract with Globe expired, this after the 2003 concessions resulted in the contracting out of overnight cabin service. So the new company attempts to drive a cleaning truck through the front of the aircraft. I hear they hit right at the production splice and in a really difficult place to do the repair. When AMT's attempted to question the cleaners, surprise, nobody spoke English. Better hope they have insurance before they go BK and walk away from this bill.

AMFAMAN said:
I have heard a report that our 2 day old contractor for DFW overnight cabin service has done at least $5 million in damage to a 757. Yeah the old contract with Globe expired, this after the 2003 concessions resulted in the contracting out of overnight cabin service. So the new company attempts to drive a cleaning truck through the front of the aircraft. I hear they hit right at the production splice and in a really difficult place to do the repair. When AMT's attempted to question the cleaners, surprise, nobody spoke English. Better hope they have insurance before they go BK and walk away from this bill.
[post="277644"][/post]​

Management at DFW stated these cabin contractors can do $5 million a month in A/C damage and it's still cheaper than having AA folks clean the planes. Plus they are suppose to be "overnite cabin", but they are working a 24hr operation at DFW. All that really happened was the 200+ Globe employees changed uniforms and went to work for the new contractor.

DFWFSC said:
Management at DFW stated these cabin contractors can do $5 million a month in A/C damage and it's still cheaper than having AA folks clean the planes.
[post="277651"][/post]​

Well I guess their off to a good start.

That has to be one of the most ignorant management comments that I've heard in awhile. If you do the math, $60,000,000 a year in damage divided by the Fleet Service wage of say $21/hr, not the title 2 cleaner of $7-$8/hr, you would be able to have 1374 cleaners before you subtract for benefits. Considering they never had more than 100-200, I would say some manager is not telling the truth. How much stock does that manager own in the cleaning company?

DFWFSC said:
Management at DFW stated these cabin contractors can do $5 million a month in A/C damage and it's still cheaper than having AA folks clean the planes. Plus they are suppose to be "overnite cabin", but they are working a 24hr operation at DFW. All that really happened was the 200+ Globe employees changed uniforms and went to work for the new contractor.
[post="277651"][/post]​

If a DFW manager saves $2 million a month by laying off AA people, it is irrelevant if $5 million of additional damage occurs as a result.

The damage costs will come out of the budget of another department. A bonus will be awarded for saving $2 million by firing people. My favorite was in mid-90's when a few outstations demanded we run the APU ($$$$) instead of the blue power cart right in front of the A/C nose. They were owned by another AMR division and charged the airline more per hour for a greasy powercart than the turbine APU in a $30 mill plane.

AMFAMAN said:
[post="277644"][/post]​

Why do you believe this BS from Management when the common theme seems tobe that management knows nothing? Can you proof there is 5 million in damage at any time, caused by cleaners?

Organized labor under the TWU/AFL/??? is bad but under AMFA is good. Look at all the layoffs without trying to save jobs for the future. AMFA mentality of selective belief system is alive and well.

j7915 said:
Why do you believe this BS from Management when the common theme seems tobe that management knows nothing? Can you proof there is 5 million in damage at any time, caused by cleaners?
[post="277693"][/post]​

Proof...How about the fieldtrip going on from Tulsa trying to figure out a way to fly this thing back to Tulsa. This is no management BS, just a trashed plane caused by an outsourced cleaner running a truck through it. I would give you a plane number, but I don't think that's appropriate to post in this forum, look at the out of service report instead. I am sure the $5 million estimate number includes the downtime that it will take to fix it.

Now what the hell does this have to do with AMFA/TWU?

j7915 said:

Organized labor under the TWU/AFL/??? is bad but under AMFA is good. Look at all the layoffs without trying to save jobs for the future. AMFA mentality of selective belief system is alive and well.
[post="277693"][/post]​

j7915, spoken like true management tool. You certainly aren't aware of how an a/c is structured to question this post. 5 million or 3 million a damaged a/c in such a spot as this one was is certainly going to cost around 5 million. You need to factor in, (because this is how the company does it), labor, material and lost revenue.

By the way, what does this have to do with AMFA?

AMFAMAN, here in SAN we are trying to keep up with DFW. The contractors here, who by the way do not speak English, (well about three do), just blew a 757 R1 slide. Oops. We just happened to have a slide and assist bottle in stock so we did not take a delay. But according to j7915 that makes it all OK.

Contracted/outsourced work? Yes, you do get what you pay for.

Ken MacTiernan said:
j7915, spoken like true management tool. You certainly aren't aware of how an a/c is structured to question this post. 5 million or 3 million a damaged a/c in such a spot as this one was is certainly going to cost around 5 million. You need to factor in, (because this is how the company does it), labor, material and lost revenue.

By the way, what does this have to do with AMFA?

AMFAMAN, here in SAN we are trying to keep up with DFW. The contractors here, who by the way do not speak English, (well about three do), just blew a 757 R1 slide. Oops. We just happened to have a slide and assist bottle in stock so we did not take a delay. But according to j7915 that makes it all OK.

Contracted/outsourced work? Yes, you do get what you pay for.
[post="277699"][/post]​

I don't doubt that the damage to one individual 757, I am certain that if the plane gets to Tulsa, it will generate work for inspection, unfortunately, its going to be damn hot in Hangar 5, or maybe 6a. I think the highly trained line guys should be able to do the repairs, overhaul is full of OSM/srps right?

May that be the first slide ever blown unintentionally. Doesn't your manager know enough to write it up to the required random test cycle?

What I commented on is the quote that management said that nnn$$$ in damage would still be cheaper than company cleaners, and the mind set that believes that is management policy, but when the financial position of the airline industry is explained management is just lying. Or the comments concerning how Alaskan/s T/A is a sign of success for amts, well maybe for the line guys.

Speaking of cost effectiveness....the cleaning vendor at Kennedy went through an entire skid of market bags in one night. :blink:

An entire skid! Now when they need market bags they have to have a CSM sign them out.

Another interesting thing to see is at night the cleaners come in empty handed, yet in the morning you'll see them leaving with bulging market bags.

According to the CSM's here, supply usage has increased threefold since the overnight cleaning was vendored out...

Where is corporate security while this is happening?

Busy staking out the aircraft galleys and the time clocks...

Once again AMR trips over itself to save a nickel while millions fly out the door.

AMFAMAN said:
Proof...How about the fieldtrip going on from Tulsa trying to figure out a way to fly this thing back to Tulsa. This is no management BS, just a trashed plane caused by an outsourced cleaner running a truck through it. I would give you a plane number, but I don't think that's appropriate to post in this forum, look at the out of service report instead. I am sure the $5 million estimate number includes the downtime that it will take to fix it.

Now what the hell does this have to do with AMFA/TWU?
[post="277695"][/post]​

With all the cell phone cameras out there, does anyone have a pic of the damage??

j7915 said:
What I commented on is the quote that management said that nnn$$$ in damage would still be cheaper than company cleaners, and the mind set that believes that is management policy, but when the financial position of the airline industry is explained management is just lying. Or the comments concerning how Alaskan/s T/A is a sign of success for amts, well maybe for the line guys.
[post="278045"][/post]​

The comment about the cost BS was by a FSC and my reply is in defense of our in-house cleAAners. I do believe you're mixing up the comments, after all I hardly ever trust managements numbers as you pointed out and I can certainly do the math on how many cleAAners they can hire at $5 million a month. The day I accept their numbers on BS about doing it cheaper with contractors compared to $5 million in damage, will be the day I hang it up.

As far as Alaskan's T/A, haven't seen the details yet outside of the money that was posted.

AMFAMAN said:
[post="277644"][/post]​

This is the part " nobody spoke English" you gotta love it. Same with the ramp cleaners who have access to the ramp. I suspect their mandatory 10 yr background check was completed in Spanish and filed in Latin America, or pick a country here. How does the FED allow it? Is AA paying someone off?

AA ended up eating this one. The vendor 'AirServ' was using a AA hi-lift cabin service truck when they hit the 757, come to find out the truck had bad brakes. AA gse still services these trucks as they are still on AA's inventory list.

DFWCC said:
This is the part " nobody spoke English" you gotta love it. Same with the ramp cleaners who have access to the ramp. I suspect their mandatory 10 yr background check was completed in Spanish and filed in Latin America, or pick a country here. How does the FED allow it? Is AA paying someone off?
[post="278194"][/post]​

It is not uncommon to see a whole platoon of new employees with a management interpreter at the DOA security office as ID cards are passed out.

j7915 said:

[post="277693"][/post]​

The guy makes a statement that is supportive of keeping Title III work in house and you go right into AMFAvs TWU. Could it be the guilt from your hypocrisy? Touting how you saved jobs yet ignoring the fact that thousands of FSC jobs were outsourced?

The fact is that the TWU has been eliminating A&P jobs for years, a few years back they outsourced our building cleaners and screwed them over royally (a group of them just won a big settlement from the company and the TWU), now they are going after Title III.

Latest posts